Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

check out timber or lumber city. Builders warehouse should also have some lumber. Airton timbers for sure

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

check out timber or lumber city. Builders warehouse should also have some lumber. Airton timbers for sure

Yep. I've found Airton & Builders to be mostly comparable. Cheaper than each other on some items. 

Treated pine. And yes... its the stuff that is used for trusses. 

I bought treated pine from Somerset Timbers last year. When I bought it, it was wet. Some of the wood is now unusable, unless you want to make a giant boomerang.

Camper/ Mtb Van?

One of our work vans (VW Caddy Panel Van) Load heavy gear inside so wanted to protect the metal skin.

Next to do is the Ford connect panel van.

Edited by Let's Ride

I’m busy building myself a dining room table.  Oregon top with rectangular steel tubing for the legs and frame.  I would like to keep the frame and legs raw steel with the little bit of rust that is on there, not paint it. 

Does anybody know what I can use on the steal to prevent it from further rusting.  I see some of the folks in USA use a product called Penetrol for this.  Anybody here that have used Penetrol for this application?

I would also like to get your recommendations on what oil you would use on the table top.  The top will not get a lot of abuse and I don’t want to seal it with varnish.

Edited by CJ Van

I’m busy building myself a dining room table. Oregon top with rectangular steel tubing for the legs and frame. I would like to keep the frame and legs raw steel with the little bit of rust that is on there, not paint it.

Does anybody know what I can use on the steal to prevent it from further rusting. I see some of the folks in USA use a product called Penetrol for this. Anybody here that have used Penetrol for this application?

I would also like to get your recommendations on what oil you would use on the table top. The top will not get a lot of abuse and I don’t want to seal it with varnish.

I would use a satin 2k clear on the legs. Only problem is you are going to have to degrease it first and that may take off some of the rust. If you don't degrease it you might get "fish eyes" when you spray the clear.

Attention to detail is severely lacking in South Africa with regards to craftsmanship. How many times have I had people working in my house, only to realise I would be able to do it better, if only I had the time. South African craftsmen need to visit Japan just once in their lives to see what the pursuit of perfection looks like.

It is simple...people are not prepared to pay for a "qualified artisan" so you get what you pay.

there is a trend starting in SA as people are getting smarter...i have been asked on numerous occasions about my "teams" who are dropped on site...it is simple you want a cheap job...you get teams of "skilled" people...if you want a quality job and prepared to pay the price...you get me on site managing and doing the job. 

you get qualified people...who have a piece of paper with a big red stamp who served their time and "passed" the trade test.

then you get skilled people sometimes referred to as "technicians" ...people who have done a 1 or 2 week course...and now skilled to carry out a specific task.

then you get the handyman...

R18000 for a surgeon to do an op on my wifes foot...took him 1 hour...plus the R18000 for the night in hospital...people whine to pay R450 for a qualified artisan to drive to their house and do a job...you pay peanuts you get skilled labour.

Attention to detail costs money.