Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My eldest designed and built a freestanding lamp for an architecture portfolio. It had to incorporate movement, light and shade.The inspiration came from a Calder mobile sculpture he saw in the Miro museum in Barcelona. It ended up a work of art in its' own right, with the lights shining upward out of the lamp and casting ever moving triangular shadows in all directions. Seriously cool. Making it out of supawood with our far too basic woodwork tools was a hellish job and took somewhat more glue and filler than hoped for because by hand it is simply impossible to measure and cut such odd angles and shapes accurately enough. A CAD CAM process would make it a walk in the park. Still, the end result, I thought, is stunning!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the best lighting effect was from my bike lights.....and if you made them flash it gave a seriously psychedelic effect.

Edit some more: Yes, I know, I hate supawood too.

post-17716-0-20819400-1504276912_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-82802800-1504276926_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-86403800-1504276941_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-10721800-1504276959_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Little revelation while looking at an old riempie bench we've had for years: it was early flat-pack furniture. Absolutely brilliant.

Everything (in "unrestored" state) is supposed to come apart in sections.

When you re-assemble it, you wet the riempies, pull them tight, and as they dry they pull all the mortise-and-tenon joints together.

jiskaaik stretch, is that what you call a small weekend project? That would have taken me at least 6 months, and at least half a forest to get right.

you guys on this thread have some SERIOUS talent !

@DJR, that is some awesome work by junior (who actually does not look so junior anymore!)

I helped my folks move this weekend, so woodwork time was limited, only managed a small weekend project:

My Mrs then said that not everyone has hands like spades, so I made a smaller set:

I like the 3D design, it is much more attractive than the flat version. :thumbup:  

jiskaaik stretch, is that what you call a small weekend project? That would have taken me at least 6 months, and at least half a forest to get right.

you guys on this thread have some SERIOUS talent !

@DJR, that is some awesome work by junior (who actually does not look so junior anymore!)

I have a few of those 6 month projects hanging, especially those where I have an idea but no clear picture in my mind. Those where I know what I need to do get done relatively quickly, but even then, it sometimes takes longer than it should.

I have a few of those 6 month projects hanging, especially those where I have an idea but no clear picture in my mind. Those where I know what I need to do get done relatively quickly, but even then, it sometimes takes longer than it should.

I know that feeling all too well

I helped my folks move this weekend, so woodwork time was limited, only managed a small weekend project:

fb514168f220a0cf2246ed8b7cc22150.jpg

My Mrs then said that not everyone has hands like spades, so I made a smaller set:

877bcbae253fcdbfd2442a68cd2a8673.jpg

Very nice! do you have a CNC for cutting out the letter?

Must agree thats more than a weekend project for me too.

But I must admit its due to the working space constraints.

My Current woodwork consisted of installing edging in bathroom... looks pretty good tho.

Cupboard panels are being cut while i'm in JHB for the week.

Saturday I can buy my fasteners and install YAY! 

How do you guys seal the chipboard raw edges before assembly?

Very nice! do you have a CNC for cutting out the letter?

CNC is on my wishlist, but not in my budget, all the Supawood was bought at the local stationery shop, the bigger X's were crosses that I cut down, the O's were coasters that I cut the centers out and the small ones are letters bought and used as is.

Wyk Satan!

I have the saw. But my bonus for December is already booked. I already bought my wife her carbon MTB on the special that Cycles Direct had on their 2016 Giant Anthem X Advanced 0's. So that is 41K already blown.

Priorities priorities.....you should have got them right and bought her an amazing fold-up mitre saw!  ;) 

Edit: Come to think of it, that's a terrible idea because it will make it so much easier to dispose of your body after she killed you. :ph34r: 

Edit edit: Plus, a bike is a great present, always! :thumbup: 

Edited by DJR