Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit. I think I'd better cut another tree down and double up on the rafters. Thanks for the advice.

Just remember the strength is in the width (114mm etc.) of the wood more than the thickness (50mm) of the timber. So you want to go wider rather than thicker. Have a good look at the previous table.

Hi all

I need 3 Pine beams, 100mm X 70mm X 2.4m. If you have any laying about that you want to get rid of please let me know. Must be straight and without defects please. Willing to plane it down to size if need be. Willing to collect within 50km from Strand.

Just checking before I lay down cash at the timber merchants, where most of their Pine is still wet anyway.

PS: Not expecting it for free, but will surely be cheaper than the 350 bucks the timber traders want.

Edited by Moridin

Wow some really good skills here. My woodworking skills are sketchy at best, but have to post a few projects I've been busy with.

I was lent a Pieterson Saw, on a kind of permanent basis, which I've been using to cut pines into planks for sale locally. There's a lot of building going on in the local Lalies, and I aim to profit from it. The sawmills don't pay much for timber and I've got hectares of mature pine on the farm, so I've been cutting when I get the chance, and selling. About 2 years ago I started cutting poplars, some of which have diameters of up to 1m. A lot of heart wood, and a beautiful wood.

attachicon.gif20140204_120149.jpg

Unfortunately some of the planks warped terribly. My first project was to make a top for a washstand that we want to put a basin on. I found a couple of purlins that looked good, and put them through a thicknesser, then laminated them to make a sturdy platform

attachicon.gif20150529_174336.jpg

which when treated with a seal produced a beautiful finish.

attachicon.gifDSC_0008.jpg

Then our patio, which I started about 4 years ago, all the building was up, but I had to roof it. Over the last few weeks when I have a chance I've been planing and sanding the rafters, and when I sent my staff to the store for purlins, was told that they are all U shaped, so I had to find more trees to cut. That's been done, and the purlins thicknessed, planed and sanded, and fixed to the rafters, wet, to stop them from warping again. Now I'm ready to put the roof on.

attachicon.gif20170903_103618.jpg

The grooves in the wood are from the saw, on the down cut, it's cutting slightly too deeply, but that has finally been sorted.

Edit, a couple of the rafters are not as strong as I had hoped, and have been removed for replacement with larger timber.

Dude we need to chat some time, Im always looking for wood and you arent too far from me.

I have come to realise what everyone says about never being able to have too many clamps.

It gets really frustrating having to wait so long for glue to setup before having to reuse those same clamps on the next joint!

So quick question on that, do you guys find that you use sash clamps or any other long clamps often? Im gluing up my workbench so need quite long clamps but dont know how often I will need them after that and I dont really want to spend R400-500 a clamp for something I would hardly use.

I have come to realise what everyone says about never being able to have too many clamps.

It gets really frustrating having to wait so long for glue to setup before having to reuse those same clamps on the next joint!

So quick question on that, do you guys find that you use sash clamps or any other long clamps often? Im gluing up my workbench so need quite long clamps but dont know how often I will need them after that and I dont really want to spend R400-500 a clamp for something I would hardly use.

VERY often. Most often of all, actually. Incredibly versatile clamps, sash clamps. Just be sure to get quality ones. 

VERY often. Most often of all, actually. Incredibly versatile clamps, sash clamps. Just be sure to get quality ones. 

It seems they last forever too. The 3 that Im using are borrowed from my father in law, he is in his 60's and these belonged to his grandfather! 

Will have to go take a look a bit later today for some more, I really need to get my workbench finished and these glue ups are delaying everything.

Get as many clamps as you can, in all shapes and sizes.

I have 10 pipe clamps, 6 alu bar clamps (gonna get more soon), some G clamps, quick release clamps, 2 sash clamps (crap Afritool stuff, will never buy again).

Soon I will get some Bessey parallel jaw clamps (very expensive).

Sash clamps are so versatile. I've got a bunch that belonged to my grandfather.

Dude we need to chat some time, Im always looking for wood and you arent too far from me.

Ive got a ton of offcuts. So many that we're going to make pallets. Ms me. Maybe we can make a plan.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cheap threaded rod ... fit big washers and you can join the threaded rod to make it even longer if you need them longer then 3 metres...or you can cut them shorter if you need a couple short ones.

cheap threaded rod ... fit big washers and you can join the threaded rod to make it even longer if you need them longer then 3 metres...or you can cut them shorter if you need a couple short ones.

I did this once successfully on a dining table that was over 2 m. Worked okay and had a bunch of M10 threaded rods lying around. But they did flex quite a bit.

Pony pipe clamps for the win @~R400 you can make up any length with metal pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can not have too many clamps, and variety. What I have also found useful though (particularly for big pieces like your workbench) is using ratchet straps. Just be sure to place a piece of scrap wood between your workpiece and the strap, as the straps pull into the wood on the edges.

Can not have too many clamps, and variety. What I have also found useful though (particularly for big pieces like your workbench) is using ratchet straps. Just be sure to place a piece of scrap wood between your workpiece and the strap, as the straps pull into the wood on the edges.

I've used them too. Some serious clamping power there. Also use some scrap long pieces to hold the pieces flat, the wood can bow

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That is a flippen brilliant idea! Im going to need some hectic clamping power on the main lamination for the top so those should help a lot.

That is also good for clamping curved panels.

But alway anticipate in which direction the net clamping force is. Joining a wide board can force it to curve/warp. Clamping it down across the board with some planks and g clamps will prevent that. Using long f clamps does the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see that :blush:. I only use threaded fasteners.

I've used a Lucas, very similar to the Pieterson

Edit. I think I'd better cut another tree down and double up on the rafters. Thanks for the advice.

you need to cure the wood properly or its going to twist