Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Tambotie is poisonous when you inhale the fumes or eat food cooked over it. Doubt you'd get sick from cutting or sanding it... Would take some precautions though. 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tambotie is poisonous when you inhale the fumes or eat food cooked over it. Doubt you'd get sick from cutting or sanding it... Would take some precautions though. 

I was told only the sapwood fumes is poisonous.  We had a Tambotie 8-seater dining table with riempies chairs, and I am still here.

In actual fact, my old man is trying hard to sell it, but nobody wants to buy such a big piece and collect in Aberdeen.

I was told only the sapwood fumes is poisonous.  We had a Tambotie 8-seater dining table with riempies chairs, and I am still here.

In actual fact, my old man is trying hard to sell it, but nobody wants to buy such a big piece and collect in Aberdeen.

You didnt use the table to cook food on a fire with so I'm assuming thats why you still here :-) 

I got seriously sick from having planed and sanded Panga-panga and don't get a splinter in you - if you do remove immediately. Wenge splinters are also seriously bad. There is a web site that gives the properties of wood and also how toxic or piosonous wood can be (will find site over weekend and post)

You've gone and made me read up on Spirostachys.

From http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantqrs/spirostachafri.htm 

The sawdust from the wood is harmful to the eyes and can even cause blindness

And:

It is not suitable as firewood because the smoke is toxic and will cause diarrhoea if meat roasted on the coals is eaten

I've actually experienced this myself - when doing guide's training (many moons ago) a bunch of us said we don't think it'll be that bad, so the instructor showed us. One small stick on a fire, lekker skaaptjops, and gietergat for two days.

I was actually wondering about the possibility of getting the trots from using pepper ground with that grinder - but all sources seem to point to the latex being the main culprit of toxicity.

My go-to guide for all things wood also has quite a nice article on it:

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/tambootie/

Edited by Pants Boy

I got seriously sick from having planed and sanded Panga-panga and don't get a splinter in you - if you do remove immediately. Wenge splinters are also seriously bad. There is a web site that gives the properties of wood and also how toxic or piosonous wood can be (will find site over weekend and post)

That's cause it smells like cocoa when you sand it, and you sniffed too deeply :D

Postman Pot at Caltex looked at me very strangely this morning ... firstly because I asked for ten Aramex bags, secondly because I proceeded to fill them with hammers  :w00t:  Unfortunately it seems as if you'll only get your hammers on Monday or Tuesday, depending on location :)

I are excite!

You didnt use the table to cook food on a fire with so I'm assuming thats why you still here :-) 

You can cook on tambotie, you have to wait for it to turn to hot coals with zero smoke and then there is no problem; but let there be smoke and you'll spend some time in hospital after the steak

You need a mobile counter for your indoor trainer setup...a health walker is the ideal platform...why because they become ornaments...and people will pay you to throw it away [emoji12] 9532897a615cf36648b950812596927b.jpg

Watch this space if you want to see how it gets converted.

Edited by isetech

Almost complete....just need to fit a couple of plugs with a long cable...internet is wireless...I might raise the TV and fit a frame around the top to hide all the cabling which is in trunking.

A budget setup....which folds down and has wheels so it can be moved with ease

By the way I have checked the saddle twice to see why it looks so out...but it is straight...must be the angle of the photo.

just because it is bothering me now...i setup the laser and made sure...and checked the seat height to make sure the seat hasnt dropped...all perfect.

e41e2370ce3da9b65b13992d2d28b700.jpg

Edited by isetech

Almost complete....just need to fit a couple of plugs with a long cable...internet is wireless...I might raise the TV and fit a frame around the top to hide all the cabling which is in trunking.

A budget setup....which folds down and has wheels so it can be moved with ease

By the way I have checked the saddle twice to see why it looks so out...but it is straight...must be the angle of the photo.

just because it is bothering me now...i setup the laser and made sure...and checked the seat height to make sure the seat hasnt dropped...all perfect.

e41e2370ce3da9b65b13992d2d28b700.jpg

OCD Armpies sees that and he'll be bleeding from the eyeballs :clap:

Armpies, Armpies come in, over?

Sniffie, aren't you scared of getting the trots from that Tambotie grinder?

No, only the latex between the sapwood and bark of freshly cut timber is poisonous.

My mom used to have a mortar and pestle made from Tamboti, which she regularly used. We are all still going strong. In fact I think my sister sill uses it today.

Edited by Sniffie

c3219266e459fe7fb73d89db31e505d8.jpg

Messing around with steel wool, vinegar and bleach to get the weathered timber look... "Old" wood on top, new at the bottom. Quite interesting to see the reaction on wood. Will do some before, during and after photos when I do the top I'm busy with for a friend.

8d4812c464ed71a29063f518e660dac1.jpg

Before

08a5ccc91937f5489c67485ec7369713.jpg

During

bbb9c9db1e2daeb65de71e5b9b6dab94.jpg

After

118cfb644249c8b16dd770f14e607361.jpg

Lightly sanded

edeceae6b2d104917d7379d0c05960ee.jpg

1st coat Woodoc

The reaction with the vinegar/steel wool mix happens quickly. Quite cool to see, can get the same effect with stain though.