Post your woodwork here

Slowbee

Guest notmyname

I'm doing this ASAP, need to go find a supplier of the balls now though.

Styrene is litter and creates toxic fumes when it burns. It also breaks down over a period. Why not research perlite? Does not burn or break down. It's Light weight and a VERY good thermo and sound insulator.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Styrene is litter and creates toxic fumes when it burns. It also breaks down over a period. Why not research perlite? Does not burn or break down. It's Light weight and a VERY good thermo and sound insulator.

Agreed, but if my interior doors are burning i'm sure the fumes they create will be the last thing i worry about.

But the perlite seems to be easy to get hold of as well.

Agreed, but if my interior doors are burning i'm sure the fumes they create will be the last thing i worry about.

But the perlite seems to be easy to get hold of as well.

I just used a couple of old kids beanbags - good excuse for destroying those....

Guest notmyname

Okay. Edited by *neilneilneilneilneil*

How about a 70mm head and 80mm handle? I can make a single-piece one out of Rhodesian Teak for you.

Pants Boy,

let me know what these are priced at. Am very keen to get one as well

has anyone made a desk out of palette wood and willing to share ideas or pics? I want to make one for our study / spare room

has anyone made a desk out of palette wood and willing to share ideas or pics? I want to make one for our study / spare room

May I ask why pallets? Do you have a bunch that you have access to?

Truss pine is also very cost effective 38 x 114 x 3.0m only cost R69 with CCA treatment at the coast

My view on pallet projects is simple - just do it.

They are fairly easy to get hold of, mostly free so if you make a mistake its no big deal. I've made a few odd items over the last couple of years - outside bench, airodeck chair etc, but all very rough (no measuring, eyeball mark I kinda stuff). What i like is you can leave it outside and not have to worry about expensive furniture getting the "weathered" look.

Biggest issue is the time to split the pallets, crowbar + scissor style jack works quite well, or for smaller planks just chop off the ends with the nails. 

May I ask why pallets? Do you have a bunch that you have access to?

Truss pine is also very cost effective 38 x 114 x 3.0m only cost R69 with CCA treatment at the coast

I'd go this way as well. FAR easier to work with and it's strong. 

Biggest issue is the time to split the pallets, crowbar + scissor style jack works quite well, or for smaller planks just chop off the ends with the nails. 

Reciprocating saw.

And unfortunately the days of free pallets seem to be gone, with all this "upcycling" getting popular and all that. Often see them advertised at upwards or R 60 per pallet. 

So I was Googling stud finder and found an App for it, although probably not as accurate as the real deal but pretty cool.

I then also found an app for a spirit level.

Can anyone think of other useful DIY apps? 

- Stud Detector

- Bubble