Absolutely agreed on the going to a good running shop for shoes.

The bug bit me after witnessing the Sun City UltraTri earlier in the year leading to entering 2 sprint events, the 1st being 5150 on the 20th October,so now I actually use my gym membership.

The swimming started going pretty ok after I figured out the breathing from watching lots of YouTube vids, but doing my 1st open water swim was still an eye opener. The 1st maybe 50 meters the shock of the cold water caused me to hyperventilate so bad I couldn't swim, once I calmed myself the rest went fine. 

The running however not so much. I bought some Nike Pegasus 34s on sale and started running with them but was never comfortable and suffered with foot, knee and hip pain. Just couldn't run past maybe 1-1,k km's without my left knee telling me not to. I ended up going to a podiatrist that confirmed the shoes were all wrong along with a stride with all the grace of a car crash. That put me in a pair of New Balance 1080's which I am absolutely loving. The left knee will always be a concern (it's my stride) but they have made a day and night difference.

I will likely see a swim coach in the new year before I up the distance to Olympic as I can definitely learn better technique.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A part of me wants to tell you to stay away from this very addictive sport but the other half is standing in a little corner whispering to you to come to the dark side cause we have cookies...

True story, best sport in the world. My mate got involved recently and he joked saying he's glad he gave up drugs for this sport, without hesitation I replied saying that drugs are still cheaper than this sport.

Have your feet/run analyzed, apparently there's a really good guy out in the Bellville area.

If you are struggling to run then try the run for a few mins walk for a few mins, some watches have that setting to make it easier.

But yes, welcome it's an awesome sport. I'm entering my 5 and 8 year old into an event in November and they are super keen! Still working on the missus as she's not made her comeback after having our kids, but on the bright side she finished the cycle tour this year and didn't say no to when I mentioned that the entries should be opening up soon.

I can see its is quite adictive, I have entered the sprint distance race for this coming Sunday, so will see how it goes.

As for the running/walking alternatively, thats what I tried doing, I dont have a watch to track it, but I try to count steps, that helped a bit.

When I did my "test day" with a 24km cycle and 5km run I did it in 2h10m, I know thats horribly slow, but for a very first attempt at ever trying anything like that, I thought it was fairly respectable, it was also MTB trail and an offroad trail walk area, which I would think (hope) would make it more difficult/slower than what I will do come Sunday, lets see how it goes....

I can see its is quite adictive, I have entered the sprint distance race for this coming Sunday, so will see how it goes.

As for the running/walking alternatively, thats what I tried doing, I dont have a watch to track it, but I try to count steps, that helped a bit.

When I did my "test day" with a 24km cycle and 5km run I did it in 2h10m, I know thats horribly slow, but for a very first attempt at ever trying anything like that, I thought it was fairly respectable, it was also MTB trail and an offroad trail walk area, which I would think (hope) would make it more difficult/slower than what I will do come Sunday, lets see how it goes....

You based in CT?? You talking about Cape Ultra this Sunday 6 Oct?

I'll be there aswell. Good luck!

Don't worry about times and where you are placed, I can tell you now there's massive respect to those folk who slog it out and finish long after the winner has crossed the line. Hell once I even walked with a guy he had the clean up crew behind him and we all chipped in and helped him along we could see he wanted to finish and that he did! Massive applause all around.

At this years discovery Tri in Cape Town, someone standing close to me saw that a swimmer was being caught and passed by the next group, they immediately said why would people enter if they know that they will be caught. My response was firstly, why haven't YOU entered? Secondly it doesn't matter, everyone races their own race. Didn't have much to say other than, "but still" so the asshole in me questioned what the "but still" means? He really didn't have anything to say after that, or I couldn't make out the mumbling of me being a d*ck about what he said. 

Don't worry about times and where you are placed, I can tell you now there's massive respect to those folk who slog it out and finish long after the winner has crossed the line. Hell once I even walked with a guy he had the clean up crew behind him and we all chipped in and helped him along we could see he wanted to finish and that he did! Massive applause all around.

At this years discovery Tri in Cape Town, someone standing close to me saw that a swimmer was being caught and passed by the next group, they immediately said why would people enter if they know that they will be caught. My response was firstly, why haven't YOU entered? Secondly it doesn't matter, everyone races their own race. Didn't have much to say other than, "but still" so the asshole in me questioned what the "but still" means? He really didn't have anything to say after that, or I couldn't make out the mumbling of me being a d*ck about what he said.

No no no, I am in JHB, entering the trinitysports event at Germiston Lake.

I couldn't careless if people think I am "wasting my time" entering, I do it for me, no one else.

I once entered a bike race (motorcycle) at Zwartkops, had the slowest bike, came last essentially, but had more fun than anyone else there, and the guys that I did actually race against all came looking for me after the races and congratulated me, just for never giving up, I stood no chance, but I tried, thats what counts at the end of the day

People like that just like being critical of others, irritates me to bits. I have family like that, can't change them.

Finishing last is better than not finishing, which is better than not even starting.

Well done to everyone that gives it a TRI!

Giving my first triathlon a go this weekend at the ultra- only doing the sprint... my goal is to just survive the swim

Edited by S-Bike

No no no, I am in JHB, entering the trinitysports event at Germiston Lake.

I couldn't careless if people think I am "wasting my time" entering, I do it for me, no one else.

I once entered a bike race (motorcycle) at Zwartkops, had the slowest bike, came last essentially, but had more fun than anyone else there, and the guys that I did actually race against all came looking for me after the races and congratulated me, just for never giving up, I stood no chance, but I tried, thats what counts at the end of the day

As you are in Gauteng, go to one of the sweatshops running shops for run analysis or speak to Mike at SBR Sports, else Randburg Runner..... it will be an outlay for new shoes, but your feet will thank you for it.

The swim at Germiston lake can be fun but also hectic if the wind is blowing, take it in your stride and once out of the water have a mini fist pump.  Trinity sports put on a good event and there will be lots of first timers new to the sport during the sprint, so you will be in good company... Have fun!!

Hi Guys

I won an entry to Ironman Africa Championships PE taking place on the 29th March 2020.

During this time of year is it likely they will make you wear a wetsuit or can I just go out in my Tri Suit?

Hi Guys

I won an entry to Ironman Africa Championships PE taking place on the 29th March 2020.

During this time of year is it likely they will make you wear a wetsuit or can I just go out in my Tri Suit?

Hi Guys

It depends where you are racing.

Keep in mind there are 4 scenarios:

Wetsuit compulsory - temperature range

Wetsuit optional - temperature range

Wetsuit illegal - above the optional range

&

Swim cancelled a.k.a. Duathlon  :mellow:  

The organisers usually err on the side of safety and will allow sometimes allow wetsuits.

The ranges differ for age group vs Pro athletes.

WESTERN CAPE - almost always a wetsuit swim 

Eastern Cape - depends on the current

The rest - depends on the day - Right now there is a "cold snap", so wetsuits will be optional, but from November to April many dams are over 24.5 degrees so no wetsuits.

Hi Guys

It's wet suite legal pretty much always. Never known it not to be. Normally a max of two people who will do it sans wet suite.

Hi Guys

I refrain from wearing a wetsuit whenever possible, I love swimming without one. I have done 2 swims at IMSA without a wetsuit and just my tri suit.

So, its going to be decided on the morning ultimately. Normally the water is around 16 degrees. The organisaers make the call based on temp and ocean conditions including the likelihood of bluebottles etc.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Giving my first triathlon a go this weekend at the ultra- only doing the sprint... my goal is to just survive the swim

Good Luck for Sunday, I'll be there too. I'm doing the Ultra. 

If you've not done any mass open water swims then try and get some space, either the back or sides of the pack. Enter the water early get water in your suit, stick your head under the water and just get familiar with your surroundings. The water is dark (well last Ultra I did) so keep that in mind. Don't get freaked out by the dark water, try and relax and the most important thing is to go out there and have fun, make yourself proud it's your race! 

As you are in Gauteng, go to one of the sweatshops running shops for run analysis or speak to Mike at SBR Sports, else Randburg Runner..... it will be an outlay for new shoes, but your feet will thank you for it.

The swim at Germiston lake can be fun but also hectic if the wind is blowing, take it in your stride and once out of the water have a mini fist pump. Trinity sports put on a good event and there will be lots of first timers new to the sport during the sprint, so you will be in good company... Have fun!!

Thanks for the advice, you have me a little concerned about the wind at the moment though, it has been pretty hectic around here the past few days.

The other thing I am worried about is the wetsuit, I am kind of assuming its going to be compulsory looking at the weather forecast, can you tell me if it has to be a full wetsuit? Or will a shorty be suffice?

Thanks for the advice, you have me a little concerned about the wind at the moment though, it has been pretty hectic around here the past few days.

The other thing I am worried about is the wetsuit, I am kind of assuming its going to be compulsory looking at the weather forecast, can you tell me if it has to be a full wetsuit? Or will a shorty be suffice?

I too will be doing the race as well.

it seems that the weather will be good on Sunday from a temperature perspective, apparently will end up being 30.

It will probably be a wetsuit swim but not mandatory meaning that you will be able to swim without it.

If you are very worried about the swim, rent a wetsuit for the weekend

In Gauteng, you can contact the ORCA store in Rivonia road. 

https://fluidlines.co.za/pages/contact-us