Tokai 2016 reopening

(Deon)

Hi Guys

Planning to ride tomorrow morning in tokai for the first time since the big fires. Going up to the mast and then along the top contour to silvermine. I gather that these routes are open?, which singletracks are open thats not break neck stuff after the rebuilds.

Looking forward a lot!!

Thanx

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys

Planning to ride tomorrow morning in tokai for the first time since the big fires. Going up to the mast and then along the top contour to silvermine. I gather that these routes are open?, which singletracks are open thats not break neck stuff after the rebuilds.

Looking forward a lot!!

Thanx

All the routes you mention are open and most of the singletrack trails are open too; Snakes, All Mountain, DH, Boulders and Vasbyt etc.. Snake trails have good flow but stay on your toes for the two rock gardens on Mamba.

Boulders is the only green trail currently open. It has become a bit rutted but nothing breakneck.. 

Enjoy, and welcome back.

Oh, the trails open at 7am, close 6pm sharp.

attachicon.gifIMG_1761.jpg

DH0 going to be open from this weekend. We'll do one last inspection on Saturday morning and thereafter hopefully, if nothing was affected by the rain, by 10am will open the track. You are urged to walk the track first – It's new, it makes sense to at least see if it suits your skill levels but the entry, which is built as a qualifying feature, should discourage anyone with doubts. 

• The entry to the first two corners is quite technical and holds a few options for the best line. 
  • The track speeds up after the second technical corner as it straightens out into a steep stone-lined descent with a drop option halfway. 
  • The second half of the track starts using berms to hold riders on line and keep speed for the few drops and jumps that follow... Careful for the "bus stop" corner :devil: , you'll need to scrub a lot of speed to make a near 90 degree bend before immediately building up speed again for a drop just a few meters away. 
  • Riders exiting the trail are now visible from the road in both directions, so hopefully the threat of T-bone encounters are a thing of the past. 

FYI; Road gap and a few other features will be built in time and track maintenance will be carried out more regularly until everything settles.

All I hear is blah blah blah......remember your collarbone.....blah blah blah...........you're too old for the really sick ****. 

Thanks for the warning Deon!

All I hear is blah blah blah......remember your collarbone.....blah blah blah...........you're too old for the really sick ****. 

Hahaha. Ja.

And when you're at the doctor it will be Blah blah blah....surgery...blah...new Volvo......blah blah ski trip to Vail......blah blah at your age. Where does it hurt the most?

In my WALLET!!

Well done Deon & Mark. The pics look amazing and as is usual with these things. The pics probably don't remotely do it justice.

PICS of the entry

I don't think we took any unfortunately. Too tired and just wanted to go home... 

Just to add to what Deon said - 

We have scraped open a rudimentary entry at the halfway point (jeeptrack switchback) for those that don't want to ride from the really tech top entry.

The last berm on the exit was only completed yesterday and may need quite a few wheels over it before it firms up. There is also a small berm just below the halfway point that may also be a little softer than is ideal, only time, wheels and the right weather will sort that out.

As Deon said - please walk this thing before you dive in blind and wear decent protective gear. 

We should have something to put a smile on your face by the following weekend  :thumbup:

And, to be fair, mine too because I'm not going anywhere near DH0, it hurt me enough without involving a bike in the whole equation. 

There was a young guy with a blue top carrying a stick that came running out from behind the arboretum and motioned for me to stop, I kept riding. This was an hour ago, anything to be concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a young guy with a blue top carrying a stick that came running out from behind the arboretum and motioned for me to stop, I kept riding. This was an hour ago, anything to be concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are workers in there at the moment but that sounds a little unusual, I will make sure the duty ranger is made aware of this.

Edit - If you see unusual activity or are 'man down' and stuck in Tokai due to a crash etc call our emergency number and because we have someone on duty during operating hours we can get through and assist pretty quickly.

The number is 071 424 4712

Tokai was great fun sat!. Mamba is exciting riding. Miss all the cool green trees though, not one in sight.

Thanx all for the work put in

Tokai was great fun sat!. Mamba is exciting riding. Miss all the cool green trees though, not one in sight.

Thanx all for the work put in

Yeah, missed some of the aliens that offered shade this past few weeks.

Failed to mention, but I nearly slammed into a Father and son pedaling up vasbyt on Sun morning. Shortly before the last stretch that drops into the quarry.

No signs up to indicate no entry. Maybe there are some that can be re purposed

Failed to mention, but I nearly slammed into a Father and son pedaling up vasbyt on Sun morning. Shortly before the last stretch that drops into the quarry.

No signs up to indicate no entry. Maybe there are some that can be re purposed

We just got new no entry signs made up and they will be in place by next weekend.

Then we sit back and wait to see how long it takes the baboons to eat this batch.

We just got new no entry signs made up and they will be in place by next weekend.

Then we sit back and wait to see how long it takes the baboons to eat this batch.

there is a cost associated.....but metal mesh cages over the signs?

Ok, Damn Baboons! Do they like the plastic?

Archived