Tokai 2016 reopening

(Deon)

I rode Tokai yesterday for the first time in years. Trails are badly marked and in some spots super dangerous. If you going to charge R75, you need to up your game. 

Hmmm....the downs are well marked and all trails crossing the jeeptrack climbs. 

So....dangerous...hmmm...yeah no.

If you don'want dangerous, take up knitting as MTB is not for you man.

Edited by Thermophage

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode Tokai yesterday for the first time in years. Trails are badly marked and in some spots super dangerous. If you going to charge R75, you need to up your game. 

We welcome constructive criticism – trails@tokaimtb.co.za

Hmmm....the downs are well marked and all trails crossing the jeeptrack climbs. 

So....dangerous...hmmm...yeah no.

If you don'want dangerous, take up knitting as MTB is not for you man ride the Tygerberg trails :whistling:

Fixed :mellow:

Deon, I'm not on Vleisboek / Tweeta - what options are available to make donations to the trail fund?

Deon, I'm not on Vleisboek / Tweeta - what options are available to make donations to the trail fund?

loooo...>Actually IMHO they are *** dangerous as the amount of speed you get on those smooth sections are a recipe for serious pain when you come off. 

drive down R300 or N2 with your bikes on the back of your vehicle, lots of rocks and they'll find you!

oh I thought you have to go to the northern suburbs to find rocks...

Look. There may be truth in this person's comment. We need to establish what has been seen and what can be done to remedy the situation if it is warranted. Vague posts will do nothing.

The fact remains, Tokai welcomes riders of all skills from everywhere and for many people returning to Tokai, they're happy to have the same old gnarly trails back but for others who are starting out, or accomplished at grinding many miles of gravel trails, the experience can definitely leave one shaken.

#PSA

EDIT: as long as "upping one's game" is not dumbing down trails.

Edited by (Deon)

Look. There may be truth in this person's comment. We need to establish what has been seen and what can be done to remedy the situation if it is warranted. Vague posts will do nothing.

The fact remains, Tokai welcomes riders of all skills from everywhere and for many people returning to Tokai, they're happy to have the same old gnarly trails back but for others who are starting out, or accomplished at grinding many miles of gravel trails, the experience can definitely leave one shaken.

#PSA

It's the nature of that comment that is attracting derision, stated as a fact with nothing to back it up.

You need to do a skills training course as in pronto - well worth it.

DH0 is definitely marked.

"You" does not charge a penny - you are welcome to join "us" on any build day you may even get a beer.

Edited by porqui

We have a donation portal on our website but not been pushing it due to the few changes we are about to make regarding how TokaiMTB operates. We'll make an announcement in a few days and then get to work with the structures that are required to make a success of it. This is our first big step towards a sustainable income that will fund the trail development planned for the next two years. The trails you see now are the start of the first phase, to refurb, then link, then add new.

@Deon & Mark.

Really really really well done on DH OH!!

Paffed out and only rode the bit below the rocks but what a great piece of trail. Really. The rocks are. Gulp. Scary. Full face & big bike territory.

Lizard is a great little piece of trail. Really well done on that. So much reward!!

@Deon & Mark.

Really really really well done on DH OH!!

Paffed out and only rode the bit below the rocks but what a great piece of trail. Really. The rocks are. Gulp. Scary. Full face & big bike territory.

Lizard is a great little piece of trail. Really well done on that. So much reward!!

Thanks Duane.

The real stars of DH0 were our build crew who shifted every one of those rocks by hand and then dug them into place, the work they got through was incredible.

Maybe antonthejob forgot the comic sans font??  :ph34r:

Trails are the best signposted they've been since I can remember (I first started mtbing around 2003/4...)

Rode Tokai for the first time in a couple of months on Sunday - Coming down Vasbyt, someone's put a nice berm on a right hand corner where there used to be tree roots across the path! Nice job!! The grin on my mug was slightly bigger than normal by the time I got to the bottom!   :thumbup:  But that also may have had something to do with being able to exit straight out on the old jeep track, rather than backtrack up the mountain! :whistling:   

Good job Deon and everyone involved in the upkeep of the trails! Thanks for all your hard work!