Dealing with cars cutting stop streets

2wheelsgood

I don't know if it's a Joburg driver adaptation but drivers here do like to take turns short, as corners rather so they sweep right across the painted stop lines (most commonly a two-way stop). I'm often stopped well in the line and still feeling it necessary to twitch the front wheel inwards to avoid being clipped as drivers' stoically dead-ahead faces pass inches in front of me when it should be metres if they correctly turned without touching stop lines.

How far back from a stop line do you stop? I do sometimes wave my handlebars when I 've got my lights running but it seems to have no effect.

It's a lawless country. Most new drivers don't give a dam about road rules, and then again, neither does cyclest.

Squirt water at them.. prepare to put down some power or use your pepper spray.. :)

Maybe some really high carb drink; can be seriously sticky???? Edited by LOOK695

Nothing

1: you're not a traffic cop

2: meeting the front end of a 9mm for playing faux cop against a road rager aint worth it

3: make sure you adhere to every single road rule when you are on two wheels; because we all know stop signs are merely a suggestion to cyclist.

Nothing

1: you're not a traffic cop

2: meeting the front end of a 9mm for playing faux cop against a road rager aint worth it

3: make sure you adhere to every single road rule when you are on two wheels; because we all know stop signs are merely a suggestion to cyclist.

I think you are a bit unfair to single out cyclists. Nobody stop anymore....in my area they don't even slow down.

Had a minor altercation with a motorist this afternoon for jumping the 3 way stop and almost taking me out.

Told him he was an asshole, and he took offence to it. Was interesting...

Edited by DominionZA

not singling anyone out, we all know motorists jump red lights or any other road rule worth mentioning; saying I see fellow cyclist cruising over stop streets, intersections, turning at yield signs etc at will. "Because I checked and it was safe"

I think you are a bit unfair to single out cyclists. Nobody stop anymore....in my area they don't even slow down.

I try to stay off the road as much as I can, or find routes that have less traffic on them.

But if it does happen that I need to cross an intersection with a Stop.  I will wait for the cars and when there are no cars cross.  Or take another route.  But have one traffic light I have to cross, and people give a shrew about a cyclist.  So I will check if cars are only going straight I will turn or else I will wait till the car made the turn then I will slip in behind it with my strobing light.

Defensive cycling. Same as defensive motorbike riding. You will just have to accept the fact that they are assholes. Or you will die.

Being on two wheels, you definitely have to think for yourself and everyone else around you.

Also forget about the KOM's.

The other day, the traffic was so bad that even on my road bike I could barely get through it. It took me 15 minutes to go 1.69km where my entire commute (about 8.5km if I go direct) normally takes about 22-23 minutes.

You have to avoid it there is nothing you can do about it , BUT if you don't stop at robots or stop signs ....YOu also have no right to even complain about it