[PLEASE APPLY] Visibility On The Road

'Dale

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought some reflective tape, and sewed it onto existing garments. I'm very happy with the results.

I bought the tape from Rob Yyly Trading.

http://rwtsa.com/

Probably giving away my age, but does anyone remember Automan?

Probably giving away my age, but does anyone remember Automan?

Rings a bell but can't actually remember.

I find that unless my front light is on disco strobe I am unseen by cars. 

What it does do is startles people and the first thing a startled person does is stop. This has saved me plenty of times in the bike lane in woodstock. Sorry for the motorists that get a little skrik but I like being alive. 

Maizeys.

They have MANY reflective stickers to choose from !!  You should also be able to get it at sticker companies, and they may even cut out custom stickers as per your design .....

Thanx!

CWC has a special on a front and back light for 499. you have a choice of 2 back lights we opted for the long one, i think it is called the crux from ryder. . 

My wife bought the set, and the 250 lumens up front does what it needs to (no not to be used on night rides.)

But the back light got me. Mind blowing how well lit it is and how far one can see it when the sun is just setting. 

I opted for the 1000 in front and also a back light that goes crazy. only problem is it work with batteries. 

My commuter set up is:-

Front light - 2000lum on dim pointed downwards to about 5m in front of wheel

Body - hi -vis vest -

Back of Helmet - Blackburn red flea - set to random flash

Rear Light - Extreme Red Phoenix - set to random flash  

My commuter set up is:-

Front light - 2000lum on dim pointed downwards to about 5m in front of wheel

Body - hi -vis vest -

Back of Helmet - Blackburn red flea - set to random flash

Rear Light - Extreme Red Phoenix - set to random flash  

This sounds and looks about right to me.  Cannot ask for more?

2000 up front...Wow!

Nice.

I think it is cool to be seen and visible and not so cool to be unseen and ride without lights.  Just my opinion.

Saw 2 cyclists yesterday morning on the N4 (nogal) between Malelane and Kaapmuiden.....no lights and dark clothing. Scary stuff.

Still amazed at the riders with zero lights. Incredible.

On another note...there was an article with lights from Trek I think, anyone have the model detail for me?

Thanks

Edited by Lighthouse

Winter is HERE !!!!!

first morning commuting after 2 weeks of leave .... I was halfway to work before the birds woke up ....

the problem is not only being visible ... but drivers being fast asleep, and not seeing through their misted windows ..... one car came past me with millimeters to spare, despite the flashing tail light and various reflective bits ....

stay safe out there !!!!!!

The trek light is about R800, and claims to be visible for 2km. 

Its called the bontrager flare r. 

Nifty little thing but bit expensive for me. 

The trek light is about R800, and claims to be visible for 2km. 

Its called the bontrager flare r. 

Nifty little thing but bit expensive for me. 

Thanks, that is the name I was looking for

CWC has a special on a front and back light for 499. you have a choice of 2 back lights we opted for the long one, i think it is called the crux from ryder. . 

My wife bought the set, and the 250 lumens up front does what it needs to (no not to be used on night rides.)

But the back light got me. Mind blowing how well lit it is and how far one can see it when the sun is just setting. 

I opted for the 1000 in front and also a back light that goes crazy. only problem is it work with batteries. 

the [AA/AAA] battery powered lights last longer than the USB counterparts. The batteries on my rear light from extreme lights lasted about 5 months before it needed a change.

Being visible is and should be a matter of personal preservation. 

I can understand that some people do not like to attract attention to themselves when it is dark as it may alert the criminal element of your whereabouts, but then at least use something reflective so you are more visible to motorists!

I use a Lumo yellow Maxed cycle shirt with a few reflective bits on it (Cheaper than the other brands @R200 and fits my large frame well), first ascent arm and leg warmers with reflective bits and the R400 combo USB rechargeable Ryder Crux 250L front with the TRI-LED rear light set. I have the rear set to a slow strobe and the front is more than enough when set to full beam when dark and full strobe during the day or at dusk and dawn. Also use the first accent jacket when it is too cold. Small fanny bag under the saddle also has reflect strip.

Not much I know but better than nothing and the light package was really good value for money, especially since both lights are USB rechargeable and you don't have to keep buying batteries or mount a large battery pack to your frame! 

This morning at 5:50 it was DARK outside.  I was using the car, and being blinded by other cars with head lights set to the sky ....  The hilly terrain also means that you are constantly going over a rise into oncoming lights ....

In the mids of this - lone cyclist with DARK clothing and NO lights, not even reflectors on his pedals ... DIT is nou moeilikheid soek !!