Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

I am looking at getting a box again for my second relocation. The pros of using a box are that you can pack more goodies inside and people are more likely to manhandle a hardshell case. I mentioned this earlier on this thread. 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Any experience flying with SingaporeAir? Flying with my Evoc bag in Nov. Going Perth via Singapore.

so i phone today to book my bike in only to be told it must be in a hard shell bike bag/box  :cursing:

Hard shell doesn't help. Flew Emirates with my bike in a hard shell box and at some stage they must have chucked my box out of the plane as my derailleur was broken, the hanger serverly bent and my one shifter was knocked skew, which I can only assume was the result of a huge impact, but I am happy to say that the hard shell was not damaged at all.

If you pack it in to a hard box the weight  goes up and then you need to pay $200 

Which airline are you talking about?

Emirates

Ah.

Ok so you can use a carboard box. That will help you from a weight perspective but the emirates limits are based on dimensions

Ah.

Ok so you can use a carboard box. That will help you from a weight perspective but the emirates limits are based on dimensions

Yip as well, will see at the airport tomorrow what happens.

No reason, just going to go with my Evoc bag and see, if i get told no will send it back home :thumbdown:  was told when we booked my flight no problem, 

Flown 3 times with Emirates in the last 3 months with Evoc bag - no issues with check-in at CPT. They did manage to bend the disc brake rotor though.