Cyclists flying overseas with bikes on Emirates

Flown 3 times with Emirates in the last 3 months with Evoc bag - no issues with check-in at CPT. They did manage to bend the disc brake rotor though.

I do take my rotors off even when flying in SA  :thumbup:  

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

So im flying on Emirates on the 30th for 70.3 Dubai, 

I have a canyon cardboard box for my bike, are they going to give me grief? There is a option to hire a bike safe box. www.bikesafe.co.za 

Can someone please share some advice?

Tx 

Edited by Cybercrow

Hi, 

I have a canyon cardboard box for my bike, are they going to give me grief? There is a option to hire a bike safe box. www.bikesafe.co.za 

Tx 

you will have no issue at all.

My daughter flew to the USA last week on a United Airlines flight operated by Lufthansa .

Lufthansa charged us $ 287 ( R 4 050 ) extra for her bike bag when we checked in , because the combined dimensions ( Length + Width + Hight ) was more than 158 cm !! I had a flippen fit  :cursing:

It is not possible to get any bike into those dimensions ( a normal bike bag is around 210 - 230 cm in total ) , so be aware of this when you buy your tickets for a Lufthansa flight . 

Hi, 

Tx 

General rules are Tires deflated, no CO2 inflators, pedals removed, re-enforce the corners with duct tape, fill the gaps with lightweight packaging material, wrap the delicate parts in bubble wrap, remove derailleur, scribe your contact details and destination in large koki and you should be set to go...maximum 23kg...be nice at check-in...call them in advance if you unsure....

My daughter flew to the USA last week on a United Airlines flight operated by Lufthansa .

Lufthansa charged us $ 287 ( R 4 050 ) extra for her bike bag when we checked in , because the combined dimensions ( Length + Width + Hight ) was more than 158 cm !! I had a flippen fit  :cursing:

It is not possible to get any bike into those dimensions ( a normal bike bag is around 210 - 230 cm in total ) , so be aware of this when you buy your tickets for a Lufthansa flight . 

I know with Lufthansa that you need to "book" your bike in a few days in advance. Didn't pay anything for my bike in an Evoc bag, which is definitely bigger than those dimensions. I stumbled across the requirement the day before I was due to fly, but it was quite painless - one phone call.

https://www.lufthansa.com/za/en/sports-baggage#accordion-item-section-2

Edited by Velouria

Hi, 

Tx 

Bike cardboard box is fine, just make sure you pack your bike well and ask then to splash FRAGILE stickers on it.

Emirates sometimes are difficult, but I've flown with them at least 10 times with a box, last year took 2, and never had a problem.

Good luck.

you will have no issue at all.

Thanks All

Im going with a hard case option, lets hope i get through with no issues! BTW i called Emirates, i get 4 different answers from 4 different non English speaking call center agents. Will let you all know 

Tx

I am VERY interested to find out how this works out for you, please keep us posted.
I booked a flight to Switzerland in June and only found out about their crazy restriction after I bought tickets that are non-refundable. :(

Was thinking of going to their offices in Cape Town to beg someone for an answer or a pardon or at worst a refund/cancellation.

I'm really not wild about the idea of taking a chance on this one since it is so much money. Plus it's not guaranteed that it will work out on the return trip...