Just had a full top end overhaul

Head skim

New cam

New glow plugs

new intake valves & guides

new cam followers

front control arms

new Crank position sensor

new cam position sensor (that packed up after 3,000 km - Goldwagen unit)

These 1.9's have been known to be pretty sturdy, as long as you look after em. Seems the previous owners did a very good job of not looking after it.

Yikes. That's rough man.

And you only recently got the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. That's rough man.

And you only recently got the car?

yea, for a really good price. Was prepared for work on it, but this latest fault is now pushing it a bit. 

Hey now, let's keep things civil.

Everyone has a few stories of manufacturer x.....

Let's keep this thread useful.

As a VW golf owner, I am not just talking from anecdotal experience, but new piston rings on 40000 km.

My dad ran a fleet of 1000+ vehicles - and guess what? Toyota was still the cheapest car to maintain. VW and Audi not so much.

As a VW golf owner, I am not just talking from anecdotal experience, but new piston rings on 40000 km.

My dad ran a fleet of 1000+ vehicles - and guess what? Toyota was still the cheapest car to maintain. VW and Audi not so much.

That's the very description of anecdotal, Stef... 

That's the very description of anecdotal, Stef...

Yeah. Technically. But I was referring to my dad's industry experience. For 1000 cars is a rather big sample compared to the average Joe that maybe drives 5 different cars over a 10 year period.

Yeah. Technically. But I was referring to my dad's industry experience. For 1000 cars is a rather big sample compared to the average Joe that maybe drives 5 different cars over a 10 year period.

That, I agree with. 

That, I agree with. 

I also had a bad VW experience where I lost compression on one cylinder at 58K km's on my Vivo.

Ended up with a certain Baron's dealer causing worse harm when reassembling the motor and I footed the R20K rebuild bill at Wackers VW as dealer refused to open the motor again after it starting to smoke immediately after they fixed the head where the compression problem was. 

Very looong story so won't bore ya'll with details.

post-31497-0-39619000-1525342118_thumb.jpg

post-31497-0-18359800-1525342147_thumb.jpg

I also had a bad VW experience where I lost compression on one cylinder at 58K km's on my Vivo.

Ended up with a certain Baron's dealer causing worse harm when reassembling the motor and I footed the R20K rebuild bill at Wackers VW as dealer refused to open the motor again after it starting to smoke immediately after they fixed the head where the compression problem was. 

ouch!!

I still love the fecking thing, though. So flippin practical. It's also mine, now, so I may as well swallow it and get it running like a peach. Plan to keep it for a very long time. 

Also recently got a Caddy. 2.0 tdi (maxi). "Downgraded" from a luxury SUV and the caddy is soooo much more practical. I will hardly ever need to use a bike rack. Tandem in the back with both wheels on. 2 MTB's and all family of 4's holiday luggage in the back with plenty room to spare. Super fuel efficient and no slouch either. No problems yet but only 30 000kms on the clock.

I remember this one... forced the piston in, causing the oil catch ring to deform and break, correct?

I still love the fecking thing, though. So flippin practical. It's also mine, now, so I may as well swallow it and get it running like a peach. Plan to keep it for a very long time. 

Might be a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted, but have you considered an aftermarket warranty? They cover up to 300k mileage wise

Now before the neigh sayers jump in and tell you they aren't worth the paper they are written on, I have first hand experience with Motormend who paid out just shy of R75k over three years of owning a 2.0Tdi Audi with the BLB engine. Granted they cover mostly the oily bits but there are options available. Ours cost us R8k so a pretty good ROI if you ask me.

Just a thought. It's all about risk management after all...

My citi golf had 300000km.... When i bought it! 

*edit

Nothing wrong with an *old*  VW, just needs to be maintained! 

Edited by the nerd

Myles those 1.9tdi engines are awesome as are Caddies in general, worthwhile fixing.

Make sure you use correct oil, preferably fully synthetic.

Q: If he's got a new cam, shouldn't he be able to use 507 now?

Btw: You're the same Skylark as on the 4x4 forum?

Q: If he's got a new cam, shouldn't he be able to use 507 now?

Btw: You're the same Skylark as on the 4x4 forum?

507 afaik was the new spec oil to replace all TDI oil apart from the v10 & v6... in place of 505.01 IIRC. 

So.. yes?