[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

The group was passing some of the recumbent cyclists so they were drifting to the right ,the pink taxi never slowed down or took evasive action ,just sped past at high speed .Total selfishness and disrespect for other road users

thanks for confirming the BL crash. Like the incident near the start, incorrect facts paint a different story.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald, the u18 and u23s ride with the elites but normally there are seperate podiums. Not a big deal, we were just dissapointed for our junior teammate.

Thanks for the well organised event.

Noted.

If the riders are unhappy, then we need to do something different (with good reason).

send me your race numbers and I will ask Racetec to correct it, even though there is a query procedure on their website.

Send the GPX file or a Strava link to the activity.

Thanks for the offer Gerald, but don't worry, I've already submitted the query to racetec

Tks Gerald for a well organized event. Nice not to be catching the short route riders on the way in for the finish. Started in VC. Only issue was tandems catching us as we turned back onto circuit after the extra loop. Caused a bit of mayhem. Nobody knew what to do.

Wind was great ! Made up for no hills and created a tough last 30 k's

That fast start was hectic hurt my legs as well . Spent first half of the race trying to stay with the group. But they were to strong .But you never know how strong you are untill you try.

Another lesson learnt...save some for the 2nd half ????

I was not expecting the wind to be so hectic, can't remember having any wind yesterday. At the end of the day still enjoyed it, was a good weekend of cycling on the east rand.

Hope he recovers soon. That fall will replay in my mind for a loooong time :eek:

according to the guys pacing in front the taxi totally drifted into our lane cos they were forced off the road on the extreme left , they neutralised the bunch and then continued once Marshall cleared it 

I hit the deck and went sliding into the carnage, left arm gashed to hell (Had to get stitches and a tetnis shot... and lots of drugs)

got up and my front wheel was missing (how the heck?)found it among the carnage . Skew bars, busted shifter and a buggered rear deraileur that was auto changing (lol) ... I then 

did some serious chasing but the guys were gone, Patch caught up and we stayed together a while ( Rode like a champ on the 29er !!!!)

i stopped to help a buddy that punctured , then stopped again to help another buddy with a mechanical.. good guy syndrome sucks  :blush:

around the 90 k mark the deraileur broke and went through the wheel... chucked it in my toolbag and made a single speed, but chain kept snapping ... last 5 kms a good samaritan said he is tired of watching me struggle so pushed me to the end , thank you kind sir 

finished on 4 hours with a missing chip... lots of drama but hey it makes for good tales of woe 

great seeing so many of you guys and the shouts hello makes a person's day :thumbup:

Edited by bmw1za

Tks Gerald for a well organized event. Nice not to be catching the short route riders on the way in for the finish. Started in VC. Only issue was tandems catching us as we turned back onto circuit after the extra loop. Caused a bit of mayhem. Nobody knew what to do.

Wind was great ! Made up for no hills and created a tough last 30 k's

Were you in the lead group of VC, or a second group?

Edit: at the left turn back onto the main route.

Edited by geraldm24

Were you in the lead group of VC, or a second group?

Edit: at the left turn back onto the main route.

The Main group.

So both bunches were mixed up. Tandems in front, then when difficult, singles pass them and so forth. Only after Heidelberg did Marshalls tell the tandems to move off.

Problem is a Tandems drag the bunch up to breaks on the flats and downs.

Know hard to manage, but Marshalls should have sorted out sooner.

The Main group.

So both bunches were mixed up. Tandems in front, then when difficult, singles pass them and so forth. Only after Heidelberg did Marshalls tell the tandems to move off.

Problem is a Tandems drag the bunch up to breaks on the flats and downs.

Know hard to manage, but Marshalls should have sorted out sooner.

Oops! Sorry about that.

Where was the race commissaire? Would've been in a car. The bike marshal is only there to assist with traffic.

Did the 60km MTB race on Saturday, throughly enjoyed it, definitely do it again next year, please don't change it. Nice flat and fast.

Only suggestion, not a complaint... MORE sound at the start please,  was part of the 2nd group of starters, 07:05

Assumed the first batch/group would start on 07:00 / Race snakes.

At 07:00 we heard count down, and they said go... we assumed it was for the first group, but everyone moved so start was a bit, huh, what now... and we all left, one we sort of realized, everyone was moving.

Just need MORE sound, that 2nd group did not hear a word of what the commissaire was saying.

G

Anybody know if the guys in the crash of the second D group were OK?

I was chatting to Pieter (Cyclelab Top) when the guy in front of him went down and it started a chain reaction...

To Gerald and the rest of the organising committee,

This needs repeating if only to prove that there are a ton of us grateful for the effort you all put in to deliver an outstanding race. 10/10 for every aspect of this event!

• Routes to parking  :thumbup:
  • Parking  :thumbup:
  • Crossing of the R554/Elsburg road to/from the start/finish  :thumbup:
  • Starting pens  :thumbup:
  • The most detailed road markings I've ever seen in a race!!  :thumbup:
  • Marshalls  :thumbup:
  • Traffic police  :thumbup:
  • Bike marshals  :thumbup:
  • Exit from parking  :thumbup:

The only gripe I heard from another cyclist in the entire day's racing (aside from the wind!) was that there wasn't water at the finish (only Coke/Powerade)... If that's the only 'problem', then you know you've pretty much done everything you can and then some!  :clap:

A tough ride. But, I'm rather glad the elements tempered my cockiness 'enthusiasm' after a good Shova and better Satellite. 

Edited by hilton_

Thanks Gerald and rest of the organizers for the awesome event.

I really enjoyed the race yesterday. I was thankful for the mostly overcast weather. See you posted a pic of your steps yesterday.......I was thinking about it as well and wondered how many steps you must have walked because it looked like you never stood still.

Also a BIG thank you to the Road Rangers that went out of their way to help keep us safe. Our Ranger in the AL group did a awesome job. I don't think these guys always get the "thank you" they deserve.

Looking forward to next year  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Anybody know if the guys in the crash of the second D group were OK?

I was chatting to Pieter (Cyclelab Top) when the guy in front of him went down and it started a chain reaction...

3 went down, 2 dudes and a Tannie.

They seemed "ok" as I went by.

Edited by Patchelicious

Gerald, a MASSIVE thanks to you and your team. This race never fails. A race for cyclists by cyclists, as simple as that! Your not an events company trying to make money and you put on imho the best race in joburg.

RIP to the guy that passed away.

Off topic, we had a guy DQ'd from VA for riding with disk brakes. Now I know it's in the rules but aren't those rules for UCI races? So lets say the rule does apply to us, then does it only apply to licensed groups? What about guys riding MTB's as well as a lot of the new tandems that have disks?

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk