[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

Gerald, a MASSIVE thanks to you and your team. This race never fails. A race for cyclists by cyclists, as simple as that! Your not an events company trying to make money and you put on imho the best race in joburg.

RIP to the guy that passed away.

Off topic, we had a guy DQ'd from VA for riding with disk brakes. Now I know it's in the rules but aren't those rules for UCI races? So lets say the rule does apply to us, then does it only apply to licensed groups? What about guys riding MTB's as well as a lot of the new tandems that have disks?

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Was that what happened on the start line? I saw the commissaire speaking to the guy next to me but I thought it had something to do with his camera. And it looked like he still started.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerald, a MASSIVE thanks to you and your team. This race never fails. A race for cyclists by cyclists, as simple as that! Your not an events company trying to make money and you put on imho the best race in joburg.

Off topic, we had a guy DQ'd from VA for riding with disk brakes. Now I know it's in the rules but aren't those rules for UCI races? So lets say the rule does apply to us, then does it only apply to licensed groups? What about guys riding MTB's as well as a lot of the new tandems that have disks?

Licensed groups are bound by UCI rules.

Open groups not.

The officials told us about it at the finish, and we could expect a complaint from them.

Also happened in the ladies group. Lynette Burger mentioned it during the race as she tweeted about the ladies.

The problem is that is doesn't get enforced consistently at every race, and then organizer is the one that takes the blame or looks like the problem.

Licensed groups are bound by UCI rules.

Open groups not.

Is this for safety or what? Because if it is, then everyone in the race should not be allowed to put other riders' lives at risk.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Is this for safety or what? Because if it is, then everyone in the race should not be allowed to put other riders' lives at risk.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

The reasons for this is long and political. There are some loooong threads about this, do a quick search.

But I am yet to hear of a rider losing his life to a disk brake....

according to the guys pacing in front the taxi totally drifted into our lane cos they were forced off the road on the extreme left , they neutralised the bunch and then continued once Marshall cleared it 

I hit the deck and went sliding into the carnage, left arm gashed to hell (Had to get stitches and a tetnis shot... and lots of drugs)

got up and my front wheel was missing (how the heck?)found it among the carnage . Skew bars, busted shifter and a buggered rear deraileur that was auto changing (lol) ... I then 

did some serious chasing but the guys were gone, Patch caught up and we stayed together a while ( Rode like a champ on the 29er !!!!)

i stopped to help a buddy that punctured , then stopped again to help another buddy with a mechanical.. good guy syndrome sucks  :blush:

around the 90 k mark the deraileur broke and went through the wheel... chucked it in my toolbag and made a single speed, but chain kept snapping ... last 5 kms a good samaritan said he is tired of watching me struggle so pushed me to the end , thank you kind sir 

finished on 4 hours with a missing chip... lots of drama but hey it makes for good tales of woe 

great seeing so many of you guys and the shouts hello makes a person's day :thumbup:

I ended up with someone else's chip in my back pocket. Can only assume that I got there during the crash. I remember riding with you on and off and saw you when you came into the medical tent afterwards. Well done for finishing though. I'll PM you the chip number. 

I echo all the appreciation as the rest of the comments. Thanks again GW and organizers..

Team S4 had a fun day out. Rode from NL. We had riders completing their first century in that brutal wind. Tried to help pull as many riders as we could. Pity about our 1 small fall that caused 1 of our riders a DNF due to cracked bike frame..

To the Team S4 crew, well done!

Anybody know if the guys in the crash of the second D group were OK?

I was chatting to Pieter (Cyclelab Top) when the guy in front of him went down and it started a chain reaction...

Pieter was fine. A bit of skin scraped off his elbow, but able to get up and ride to the finish. His biggest complaints was that he lost the bunch.

I ended up with someone else's chip in my back pocket. Can only assume that I got there during the crash. I remember riding with you on and off and saw you when you came into the medical tent afterwards. Well done for finishing though. I'll PM you the chip number.

please send me the chip number and I'll contact the owner

I echo all the appreciation as the rest of the comments. Thanks again GW and organizers..

Team S4 had a fun day out. Rode from NL. We had riders completing their first century in that brutal wind. Tried to help pull as many riders as we could. Pity about our 1 small fall that caused 1 of our riders a DNF due to cracked bike frame..

To the Team S4 crew, well done!

Hope you enjoyed the hospitality afterwards too - free cokes

Hi Gerald and team ,

Once again a fantastic event .

Look forward to next year , but hopefully without the wind .

RIP to the rider who passed away .

Gerald

You prob got a nice direct line into Racetec.

Can I ask/make a suggestion, the black plastic clip in piece that they supply, that connects to your bike, can they provide that as a option (option A or B),

A: either 9mm skewer compatible, aka roadies and

B: 15mm compatible, for the mtb bikers. Most mtb's come with a 15mm front axle these days on the fork, if you cut the current black piece it leaves very little material behind.

G