SRAM eTap awaiting certification for use in South Africa

News bot

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I note they say unlawful, not illegal.

It's a 2.4GHz signal, which is in the unlicenced band. The importers will still need to get it approved, even though it's just like any other ant+/bluetooth device out there.

I see the awkward position they sit in, but it's just a bit of paperwork. I stand to be corrected here, but it's just like every new cellphone model needs to get it's approval before an icasa sticker can go on it. so this is the same as getting an iPhone from out the country before it's been released here. definitely not a health issue before anyone goes down that road.

Cape Cycle were well aware this product was on its was way to SA for ages, even years . It sounds like they only applied for the necessary documents or permission at the last second . Not only are they almost 2 years late compared to leading brands E Tap has been on OEM factory built bikes in SA for 6 moths already . Now this BS statement !!!

So now what ? park your bike sir ,you can't use those gears in S A

Cape Cycle were well aware this product was on its was way to SA for ages, even years . It sounds like they only applied for the necessary documents or permission at the last second . Not only are they almost 2 years late compared to leading brands E Tap has been on OEM factory built bikes in SA for 6 moths already . Now this BS statement !!! So now what ? park your bike sir ,you can't use those gears in S A

SRAM HQ does the paperwork and application as far as I know - not Cape Cycle Systems. In fact, reading the statement again:

"Such application has been made by SRAM but as yet the Certification has not been awarded."

Honest question: How does this affect you, Clinton? Do you have eTap on a bike or bought a groupset you now can't use?

I've pre ordered it along wilth Eagle but still excuse after excuse . It kinda sux when your excited about something and all you get is more long winded story's .

I've pre ordered it along wilth Eagle but still excuse after excuse . It kinda sux when your excited about something and all you get is more long winded story's .

Bike24.com - Eagle mostly in stock too - just waiting for gripshifters...

Also no cassettes , at least not in SA yet

my wishlist said they had x01 cassettes this morning

SRAM HQ does the paperwork and application as far as I know - not Cape Cycle Systems. In fact, reading the statement again:

"Such application has been made by SRAM but as yet the Certification has not been awarded."

Honest question: How does this affect you, Clinton? Do you have eTap on a bike or bought a groupset you now can't use?

ICASA submissions must be made by a company registered in South Africa. All Bluetooth products must carry this certification and 2.4GHz is not unique. It is quite some paperwork and you have to submit certain design drawings... Most companies do not like this. With ICASA currently on strike applications are taking much longer... Unfortunately we have to deal with them much more than we want to. 

I thought the ISM band was completely unlicensed, which is what made Bluetooth and WiFi so awesome.

So grateful that I can just get on my bike and peddle; measuring metrics and bla bla believing it will make a semi-pro one day is non applicable.

Good lord, pretty soon you will need to get your bike fica registered with all the transmitters on these bikes.

There are still restrictions within the ISM band for instance maximum permissible transmitter power. Naturally strict frequency band adherence needs to proven as well.

There are still restrictions within the ISM band for instance maximum permissible transmitter power. Naturally strict frequency band adherence needs to proven as well.

Ok so basically just a check that you are actually in the ISM band as per your claims. Makes sense but I don't believe for a second that every bluetooth / wifi product I've seen on sale has been specifically approved by ICASA. Mainly because there are lots of products and ICASA isn't particularly efficient.

Anyone know if ICASA would be a bit more sticky about eTap using AIREA and not an existing protocol they're familiar with?

Anyone know if ICASA would be a bit more sticky about eTap using AIREA and not an existing protocol they're familiar with?

Could well be that. And then it makes sense.

Edit: Should I really be assuming that what they do makes sense?

Edited by madbradd

Ok so basically just a check that you are actually in the ISM band as per your claims. Makes sense but I don't believe for a second that every bluetooth / wifi product I've seen on sale has been specifically approved by ICASA. Mainly because there are lots of products and ICASA isn't particularly efficient.

In principal every product is supposed to be tested. In practice the actual RF module in the device is often "off the shelf" so only that module needs certification. That scenereo is common with GSM chipsets used in 3g cards, routers and security products.

All consumer electronics also require an EMC certificate to prove that they don't cause electeonic interference. But that is a lot less strict.

As you pointed out, it is unlikely the flee market bluetooth gadgets have their certificates. They are not technically legal but nobody is going to chase them down either.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk