SA Single Speed Champs 2016

jcmeyerSS

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm going to miss this too. Haven't been to a SS party since Winterton, I can't remember how much that cost, but it was deffo worth every cent.

Jeanpant Carel was the first oke I met there, then the Sherriff, Matty and the rest.

Where's Aussie Adam...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Damn it if there was one event I wanted to do this year it was this one.

But unfortunately have to work.

JC I'm afraid I don't follow your logic - how do you go from me mentioning guys I know, who are regular SS riders - by that I mean riding plenty of hours a week, the vast majority on their singlespeeds, or in at least 1 instance, someone who chose to have the only bike he owns as a SS (and none of whom will go anywhere near Strava, by the way) to interpreting that as me saying that the people you mention, or anyone else, isn't "hardcore" enough?

The point I was trying to make is that in my opinion, & that of several people that I respect & consider to be pretty "hardcore" (by which I mean committed) singlespeeders, the event would probably attract a bunch of extra riders, all of whom love riding their singlespeeds & having a few beers, if the price was pitched lower.

For you or anyone who disagrees, & who's happy to pay the entry fee, I really hope you have a blast.....

has some one told this tawit tawoo that this is not really a UCI /CSA sanctioned event? The only suit that would be allowed near here is Dick Pound, and only if that really is his real name.

Surely these guys are taking the piss - R450 for a 30km event?..... Doesn't matter how many sideshows there are.

I am pretty sure that you are not the target market this event is aimed at. Simply having and love riding a singlespeed, doesn't mean this event is aimed at you.

I remember a racing snake type guy coming back from SSWC back then moaning about how rowdy it was and that it was a mess etc. When I asked him what did he expect, he expected "a race with a bit of atmosphere afterwards... " this guy missed the whole point. Don't be this guy.

Bud I have a SingleSpeed and only had a Singlespeed, only rode and raced a singlespeed for 4 years doing at least 6000-9000km on it a year and never in those years did I consider myself "hardcore". That is not what it is about.

The reason I Mention those people is because if anyone should be considered "hardcore" it is them. Not because they have achieved ridiculous results on SSer against geared opponents, not because they have ridden multi day events on SSers but because they embody the spirit behind SingleSpeeding. They understand and share the culture behind SInglespeed, they travel the world to be with like minded people at Singlespeed events.

They would jump at the opportunity to spend a weekend with like minded people for the price of a meal for two.

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion but the for someone to come onto a chat and their first post EVER is to slate an event they clearly do not understand, based on R/km and calling the culture around the event a "side Show" is definitely not the way to endear yourself to 99% of the people that would read this topic. 

Have you ever hosted an event. do you understand the logistics, costs?

It been a while since I've done a Nissan or USN event so not sure what they cost now days. But as previously mentioned look at the Juma race its R399 for a glorified ride on the spruit which is great, nothing wrong with that and they had what over 5000 entries to split the costs between. No-one batted an eyelid.

Now you look at SSC they will be lucky if they get More than 150 entries. That they would have to split the cost of the entire event between so would be around R 67,500.

If you think you can host an event, the afterparty with food and "side-show" for less than that then please talk to my wife cause we paid WAY TOO MUCH for our wedding.

(Even if they lower the price to please people like your mates lets say they get another what 50 people)

So think a little next time before you blurt out in your fist post that you think an event organizer who is trying to cater to a small markets of great people is quote "taking the piss" 

take a deep breath, think about it and then comment.

Just some insight into how my F@#ked up Logic works

Nothing more..close thread

PS I definitely consider myself hardcore...my bike room smells like rich mahogany and leather bound books

END VAN PRENT

Edited by rouxtjie

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm gutted that I'm missing this one. If SSWC 2012 and Farmasutra were anything to go by - this is going to be off the charts, have a good one peeps!!

Paid, booked and my liver is nowhere to be found...It normally hides in the corner, or under the couch...I'm sure I will find it just before the event.

Hope the hardcore SSspeeders are keeping their bikes in their garages, so there's more beer at the beer stops for me.....

30 x 16 ..........I want to get a batman mask that works with helmet some how.

And when ever someone passes me or I pass someone I can say ** In a very deep voice "I'm Batman! "