[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

Speaking of feeding strategy: what do you all eat the day before, and for breakfast and what would you recommend for some one who will need about 5hrs to complete? Just energy bars along the way?

I'm also probably around a 4 1/2 - 5 hour rider.

On the morning I'll have a protein, peanut butter, banana and mageu smoothie. Don't laugh boys. It tastes great. A small one. like 300ml

I use dates for fuel on the bike. They're cheap and their wrappers/skins are edible too. Unlike Gels & bars. I eat one every 7-10km. I will carry a caffeine gel just in case. I ride with 2 bottles. One with water and one with game (it's an energy powder not sure if you get it there) with a bit of salt. I'll probably stop once. Most likely Scarbourough to refil with water.

The night before I'll eat early. Something with a few carbs and protein but nothing too heavy. NO CHILI! Probably a burger at Woodcutters. For those that don't know it's a pub/restaurant in HB. Right on the route. 

I think the most important thing is to not try something new on the day. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of feeding strategy: what do you all eat the day before, and for breakfast and what would you recommend for some one who will need about 5hrs to complete? Just energy bars along the way?

Bananas are good

Not too ripe otherwise it blows up in the jersey pocket

Nougat too

Not too much - a bite every now and then

Maybe get those bite-size ones

I wonder if HR also comes into it?

For the smits south easter run my avg was 168bpm and max was 181bpm(which happens to be my max HR)

I'd love to know their logarithms for calculating as 2 of my efforts were 12 seconds different, HR 2 beats apart but watts 135w v 544w. Interestingly the faster was the year B batch split about halfway through the segment and I was around 5th wheel in the dropped bunch. My nephew made the split and put 5 minutes into me from there to the finish.  Splits happen for a reason. It's not luck.

Personally I think they just make up numbers. GPS tracking on some of the devices is not accurate enough for the some of the small segments that get reported.

Belgian One

Try to eat pre-race and during what your fuel tank is used too

Don't try anything new

It can backfire ????

Try to eat pre-race and during what your fuel tank is used too

That's not going to work for me. My fuel tank is used to whiskey, red wine and steak.

I've come to the conclusion that you want to keep your diet as normal as possible (provided you have healthy eating habits) right up to the race. Perhaps add a bit of extra carbs the last day or two, but definitely not the huge carbo loading thing. Upsetting your stomach with too much or strange food is the LAST thing you want to do.

On race day, I have a light breakfast at least an hour or 2 before my start, again, eat whatever you are used to. I keep is simple with a bit of oats, a rusk and an extra coffee.

During the race, I sip a hypotonic energy drink according to thirst. On a good cool day two bottles take me to the finish in 3h30 to 3h45. If it is going to be very hot, I add some Rehydrate to my water. On a hot day I need a fill up water somewhere along the line, usually on Chappies or in Hout Bay. I take one energy gel at Ocean View, that gets me up Chappies, and another one on top of Chappies, that gets me over Suikerbossie and home.

If you haven't tried energy gels before, rather eat something you know, like a banana or peanuts and raisins. I take a banana if I plan to do a long slow one, 5 hours or so, like when riding with my father, or when my kids were younger. For very long rides I like small baked potatoes with salt. 

(Sorry, I digress, but there is a lesson in this story: I have a family member, not part of team DJR, who once tried making his own energy food from peanut butter, dates, nuts, olive oil and who knows what else........he ended up riding as fast as his legs could take him from the one partaloo to the next, and somewhere near Cape Point the fynbos had to do!)

Afterwards, I have a big fat greasy burger and chips, just about the only time I support McDonalds!

bananas! I love bananas :-) I'll take that + a few energy bars. 

oh yes, and that burger afterwards is an absolue must. Isn't there a place in CPT with real burgers instead of McDo? 

That's not going to work for me. My fuel tank is used to whiskey, red wine and steak.

Oe jinne

Whatever you do, store the Merlot or Pinotage in a plastic glass ☠️

oh yes, and that burger afterwards is an absolue must. Isn't there a place in CPT with real burgers instead of McDo?

Hudson's

A good choice

Yum

Try woodies at the V&A. Triple stacked heap of heaven!

Don't listen to Dale. Hudsons??? REALLY????

Craft - Seapoint

Sauls - Seapoint

Lucky Bao - Hout Bay

Woodcutters - Hout Bay

Gibsons - Waterfront

Jerry's - Various locations. Obs is the original tho

Easy Tiger. Various but Kalk Bay is the best location.

If someone mentions the Spur I'm going to ask that you be banned from this forum.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Don't listen to Dale. Hudsons??? REALLY????

Craft - Seapoint

Sauls - Seapoint

Lucky Bao - Hout Bay

Woodcutters - Hout Bay

Gibsons - Waterfront

Jerry's - Various locations. Obs is the original tho

Easy Tiger. Various but Kalk Bay is the best location.

Yip

You're a wine and meat man all right ????

DB 1 - Dale 0

Edited by 'Dale

What is wrong with just eating as you normally would before a little exercise? Whatever you eat on the day before or at breakfast will have no effect on your performance or enjoyment of the ride.

It's not a multi stage multi day race, it's 109km around the Peninsula with 21 water points along the way. This means if the proverbial hits the fan you are never more than a few kilometres away from a coke and a bar one.

No wonder the supplement and energy drink market is booming. Just crazy.