[Event] 2017 Cape Town Cycle Tour - Argus

Bianchisti

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noob question. 

It is my 1st Argus and just like to know if that Racetec Tracking from last year worked and if it will be there again this year. Reason is: my wife wants to track my progress along the route in order to know what time to be at the finish to see me sprint. I'm planning on a Sub 5, and don't want to waste time stopping and pinning my location at every water table (planning to stop at all of them).

Tried to track my daughter last year with this, fail..... If you have a Garmin device, it may have Livetracking feature...

If I pull a sub 5 I'll be stoked.

The amount of time you spent on the road lately, you'll easily do that and then some! :thumbup:

Noob question. 

It is my 1st Argus and just like to know if that Racetec Tracking from last year worked and if it will be there again this year. Reason is: my wife wants to track my progress along the route in order to know what time to be at the finish to see me sprint. I'm planning on a Sub 5, and don't want to waste time stopping and pinning my location at every water table (planning to stop at all of them). 

You can also just notify her at the last water point which is at top of Suikerbossie. From there it's about 25 to 30 mins to the finish. (expect if you find a "water point" along Campsbay, then it can easily take another 5 hours :whistling: )

It worked sort of according to my wife. Rather use strava and buy a premium membership which will allow her to track you more accurately.

Noob question.

It worked sort of according to my wife. Rather use strava and buy a premium membership which will allow her to track you more accurately.

I think you can do a free 30 day trial of strava premium?  Will be enough to see you past race day...

You don't need premium. I don't have premium and just use livetrack, But every time I log into connect it wants me to upgrade to premium so I can use beacon. Have no idea what beacon is.

But my mom and wife use the racetec app and most of the time they say it works fine. Worked fine for me last year at CTCT. Having more mats also gives them more updates. Most races they just get a start and finish time. 

You didn't tell them? Shame on you. I think it's got to do with the max speed and where you applied speed compared to jcza. That extra 9kph max takes some watts due to the effects of aero drag. Maybe strava is quite clever after all.

I wonder if HR also comes into it?

For the smits south easter run my avg was 168bpm and max was 181bpm(which happens to be my max HR)

Noob question. 

There are many apps that can do just this.  But if you have IOS , just use find friends.  If you have google, use the build in family/friend locater (cant remember name now).  

if you wanna go racetec route, install there app, load the event, then add your name as person you want to follow.  It does work sometimes

L:

Just remember around Smit's there is no reception. This is due to the large number of people using the cell towers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The amount of time you spent on the road lately, you'll easily do that and then some! :thumbup:

Ha. Ja. Spending a bit of time out there. The (only) other time I did it I'd never even swung a leg over a roadie bike. I borrowed a mate's Scott. Put my DX's on. Set the seat height and off I went. How hard can roadie riding be? Very!

If the weather plays along I'm gonna do a long one this weekend to make 100% sure my feeding strategy and bike are ready. Greenpoint to Cape Point & back.

Speaking of feeding strategy: what do you all eat the day before, and for breakfast and what would you recommend for some one who will need about 5hrs to complete? Just energy bars along the way?

Speaking of feeding strategy: what do you all eat the day before, and for breakfast and what would you recommend for some one who will need about 5hrs to complete? Just energy bars along the way?

In the days preceding the race, I usually eat Pasta & Rice dishes. Pasta is perfect for Carbo loading. Aim for Carbs from Friday evening.

Try & have your breakfast at least 2 hours before your start. Bowl of Oats, some Toast & Coffee will go a long way. Cereals are fine too. Banana's are a must.

Try & sip on an energy drink before your start, staggered intervals, not too much, then you will run to the bush. :whistling:

Try and eat every 30-45 minutes after your start, a bite of an energy bar or a gel every 45 minutes should be ok. 5 hour ride would require some sort of Carb replacement. (Banana's, Energy bars, Biltong, baby potatoes or gums)

Also, sip on your bottles every 15 minutes or so.

PS - Don't eat anything your body is not use to. Don't try new products as well.

Other than that, enjoy your race!

:thumbup:

Edited by AryM