How safe is the road between Gordons Bay and Kleinmond?

DPG

Hi Guys,

Getting a bit bored with the normal Hout Bay road so want to cycle the road from Gordons bay to Kleinmond Via Rooi Els, Pringle Bay. How safe is this road?

post-38488-0-97158300-1470989508_thumb.jpg

I had a lekker kuier in Gordon's Bay in December (Transvaaljapie). Rode up to Rooi Els, had a blast of a time. The road does feel a bit narrow, but in general the cars go slowly, and pass safely. That was my experience at least. Didn't try the R44 from Pringle on.

Next time I visit I want to go on the gravel road from Pringle Bay to wherever.

Gordonsbay to Rooi els narrow without shoulder, rest is fine all the way to Hermanus if you want.

In summer season particularly, guys towing boats don't always realize how wide the trailer mudguards stand out and I have had some close shaves.

Fortunately most go reasonably slow as it is a very scenic drive.

All depends on how much value you put on your life. If you are a chancer and like gambling go ride a route that has no shoulder. Otherwise dont.

I used to cycle that route and unless it summer i am off it before the divers and fishermen comes past, i wont risk my life hoping everyone is sober and obeying the law.

Very safe. A lot safer than the roads around Stellies itself. Just don't ride it on a Sunday morning between 7 and 12 when the weather is great, because then all them bikers are out there on that road trying desperately to ride like Rossi.

Edited by Moridin

Did many DC training rides to Rooi Els from the Northern Suburbs & back never had issues. Once even did a ride all the way to Hermanus & back. Just get a decent rear light which will work during the day as well.

Last year did most of our long DC training rides on that road. Was fine. Never experienced any issues. 

My regular training route. It's safe. The most dangerous thing about that road is deadly combination of deep section wheels and the wind. If you can survive a howling South Easter on that road, you'll laugh in the face of all other dangers!

My regular training route. It's safe. The most dangerous thing about that road is deadly combination of deep section wheels and the wind. If you can survive a howling South Easter on that road, you'll laugh in the face of all other dangers!

you overtook me the other day with that stealth machine of yours. you were traveling so fast the noise only caught up 5 min later.

*in other words...that bike looks damn awesome and super fast!*

To the OP it is safe. Just be carefull of the odd rock or two in the road on the way for Gordons Bay to Rooi Els. Also there are some tight *blind* corners that they guys sometimes hug and they see you last minute.

Also, there are sometimes pods of dolphins at sea playing the waves. This might cause you to stare and ride skew lines. This is very dangerous.

you overtook me the other day with that stealth machine of yours. you were traveling so fast the noise only caught up 5 min later.

*in other words...that bike looks damn awesome and super fast!*

To the OP it is safe. Just be carefull of the odd rock or two in the road on the way for Gordons Bay to Rooi Els. Also there are some tight *blind* corners that they guys sometimes hug and they see you last minute.

Also, there are sometimes pods of dolphins at sea playing the waves. This might cause you to stare and ride skew lines. This is very dangerous.

That bike is a monster. It is impossible to ride slowly on that thing!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk