Disturbing incident at Modders

Plentipotential

Friday afternoon ride at Modders today and I come across a cyclist standing alongside another cyclist clearly in a bad way. Recent road maintainance has seen the building of what looks like speed humps on the sand road towards the end of the ride along the boundary fence on the eastern and northern side of the reserve. The injured chap is lying down, bleeding from a very badly injured face and coughing blood. Unresponsive. Apparently was on his own so it was not known what happened but most probably the hump was his undoing. The injured cyclist had no phone history on his mobile and no ID. Call was made to the emergency no at Modders but they were not really equipped to deal with a badly injured person. Call was made to Netcare 911, well played Brett, that's the name I remember and they responded quite quickly. Well done to the guy on the Epic for your efforts.

What disturbed me about the incident was how badly the guy was injured, how far you really are from good medical help and how important it is to carry some form of ID on you. The only way to identify the chap was from his car registration. I ride on my own at Modders, often on tracks where very few cyclists ride on Wednesdays and Fridays and I carry no ID other than my phone which often goes flat running a bird ID app. Not ideal. If anything like that happened to me how would my wife find me. Need to get one of the ICE products.

To the injured cyclist, I hope you are going to be OK. If any one knows who he is let me know how he is doing. Please.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I carry a small bulldog clip with a Medical Card, expired drivers license and some cash in  the small zip pocket in my baggies as well as an ICE ID. 

Sounds like he was bucked on the speed hump? Didn't a similar thing to that happen to someone else on here a year or so ago?

I carry a phone, locked but not password protected and Wendy is the first number on the contact list. Hopefully someone will never need it to phone her about me, but you never know. Like the OP, I ride miles from anywhere and anyone most of the time.

Maybe I should look at some sort of phone tracking or something . . . .

Hope the guy is doing ok.

Schit happens so quick, only after an accident you open your eyes to how precarious things are.

A little more concerning is that last Sunday the exact same thing happened and a gent had to get collected in an ambulance and a neck brace.

Though they are made in a way that you don't have to jump them even at ~40km/h

I have a laminated card with all the relevant info stuck onto the top tube of my bikes, and very seldome carry anything on my person. Thinking about it, its not ideal as I could easily be seperated from my bike

Good luck to the cyclist! Shame man!

A neat trick is to save all you emergency numbers and medical details as picture on your phone, set this to your screen saver and home screen.

A neat trick is to save all you emergency numbers and medical details as picture on your phone, set this to your screen saver and home screen.

Very good idea

Only problem is that your phone might get damaged,so good to have backup numbers stuck to the bike 

another good idea is to store your emergency contact under ICE (in case of emergency) on your cellphone any decently trained paramedic will check if he can access your phone

We all ride alone at some stage, stupidly! After breaking my hip at JUMA I know how quickly things can go south! Thank my lucky stars I wasn't alone then, I almost passed out from the pain. I've just ordered my ICE tag, possibly the easiest and most effective way to "speak when you can't"

Great idea...together with ICE ID band on the arm (or something similar).

Thumbs up for helping out.

Personally, I wear an ICE ID bracelet and have an ICE ID tag on my helmet strap too. Contact #s and medical aid #

I carry ICE bracelet.

I run alone all the time, often in the dark, so it goes everywhere with me, bike/run and the likes.

It has my medical aid details and my wife's contact number and my name. I usually carry R200 and a credit card as well. 

Hope the fella is OK.

Archived