SARS & eFiling - What gives?!

Johan A Marais

Professional experience informs the following statement:

Don't hold your breath.

Yup, I'm still waiting on a refund for my personal IT (they are still "verifying my details" with no expected date of completion) and waiting on VAT refunds for our business.

Delaying like its their job

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both the wife and I are still waiting for our refunds. They are quite straight-forward returns, so the fact that we haven't been paid out is incredibly frustrating.

Both the wife and I are still waiting for our refunds. They are quite straight-forward returns, so the fact that we haven't been paid out is incredibly frustrating.

Did my return online. Due a refund of +- 5k. Was advised to go into one of their offices to "Verify bank details...................went into their office in Horizon View (JHB)................in/out in 45 minutes..............quite slick and efficient. Refund paid within 3 working days. Happiness.........

Did my return online. Due a refund of +- 5k. Was advised to go into one of their offices to "Verify bank details...................went into their office in Horizon View (JHB)................in/out in 45 minutes..............quite slick and efficient. Refund paid within 3 working days. Happiness.........

Bit of a faff when you're in Europe. Will make a few calls and see if I can sort it out over the phone. If not, I'll have to patiently have to wait till December.

• 3 weeks later...

Due for refund. SARS assessment correct.

But flagged for audit. Round 1. Supporting docs uploaded. Now to wait 21 working days ... and then probably the audit will be escalated ... for round 2 and another 21 working days. And maybe even round 3. 

NOTE TO SELF: Rather short-pay than over-pay provisional. Pay the penalty interest instead. Make the money work harder in my hands. Once in SARS coffers, they deem it theirs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did my return online. Due a refund of +- 5k. Was advised to go into one of their offices to "Verify bank details...................went into their office in Horizon View (JHB)................in/out in 45 minutes..............quite slick and efficient. Refund paid within 3 working days. Happiness.........

I'm probably going to need to do this. The past 2 years my bank account details kept reverting to an old account, last year they paid no issues, this year I haven't been asked to submit anything, but still no return.

I finally asked my boss though, turns out she's been putting the old bank details on my irp5

What docs do you need to validate bank details?

After a long wait they finally gave me some Rand.

Thanks SARS

How long is long? I submitted beginning October Edited by Uni

• 4 weeks later...

Post hijack - Got a question for the clever people here....

I completed my online return, which is very straight forward as I am just PAYE employee. During the year I was paid a couple grand for mileage at R2.25/Km by my company and I also had to pay in for medical expenses as a result of falling off my bicycle every now and then.  

After completing online SARS owed me 29 Cents..

I like many here then got a nice email from SARS stating that I had correspondence that needs looking at... Turns out I am being audited and they want all associated documents..

This is where my problem starts... I was a bit slack with claiming my mileage, and only submitted it when I remembered. So my logbook actual Km's traveled for work is over double of what I actually claimed - all of this I can prove, as I have satellite tracking and can see on the web where I was on a daily basis...

SARS have asked me for my complete logbook with opening and closing readings and where I have been, etc - will they kick my backside into touch for not claiming, or just tell me that I am stupid?

Tom

Quick update from my side:

When I queried the non-payment of my refund, I was told that I was being "audited" and that I needed to submit a whole host of supporting docs. Before I even started work on getting all of that done, my money gets paid in. :blink:

Here's my story. Would appreciate any input.

Been e-filing the farms VAT returns for a number of years now. Normally the procedure is as follows. When you submit a return that deviates from your normal claim history you get notice that you should upload supporting documents. This usually means the detail (e.g. Pastel summary and 5 biggest invoices) Then you get audited and sometimes someone phones you with questions. (Always very professional) If everything is in order the claim gets paid out, otherwise they advise you on how to correct and resubmit.

Here's where the story gets funny. On the 15th of last month I got 9 simultaneous emails of pending SARS correspondence. Turns out they want supporting documents of 9 previous 2 month periods that has already been paid out. Two of those periods they already requested supporting documents when I submitted them about two years ago. I complied and claims was then paid out. When calling the helpline you only get reminded that it is SARS legal right to audit you anytime for any number of periods over a 5 year history. I took all the filed documents of the relevant periods out of storage and stacked it. The pile was 1.2 meters tall. Is this fair?

Edited by Dubbin

Flippin heck Dubbin, mine is a non-issue compared to you!!

Tom

The frustrating bit is that none of my future claims will the paid out until the said 9 queries is resolved.

Here's my story. Would appreciate any input.

Been e-filing the farms VAT returns for a number of years now. Normally the procedure is as follows. When you submit a return that deviates from your normal claim history you get notice that you should upload supporting documents. This usually means the detail (e.g. Pastel summary and 5 biggest invoices) Then you get audited and sometimes someone phones you with questions. (Always very professional) If everything is in order the claim gets paid out, otherwise they advise you on how to correct and resubmit.

Here's where the story gets funny. On the 15th of last month I got 9 simultaneous emails of pending SARS correspondence. Turns out they want supporting documents of 9 previous 2 month periods that has already been paid out. Two of those periods they already requested supporting documents when I submitted them about two years ago. I complied and claims was then paid out. When calling the helpline you only get reminded that it is SARS legal right to audit you anytime for any number of periods over a 5 year history. I took all the filed documents of the relevant periods out of storage and stacked it. The pile was 1.2 meters tall. Is this fair?

Do you need to cart that whole lot to Sars and wait in the queue!?