[Event] The Bestmed Satellite Classic

Events Bot

Had a lekker day out, missed my sub-3 by 4 seconds (darnit!) Had a number of strong okes helping in the front DL group, thanks for the help gents (especially the VA guy, man you were strong)!

Caught up with a mix of AM and CL peeps on the better side of Hekpoort, thanks for the help over the last few bumps, I was dying at the end of the race.

Now for Carnival :clap:

Edit: Strong oke was VA, bleeding through my eyes has altered my memory slightly

Edited by Nibali

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They really need antoher venue...getting 5000 odd people in and out of that venue is asking for trouble. Vehicles coming in and cyclists heading out on the same straight is asking for a serious accident. Add in people who start to stress about not parking in time and stopping next to the road and cycling in adds more possibility of a *&%$ up.

They facilities are just not geared for this type of mass event....cap it at 2500 entrants.

The route is great and the roads are not tooooooo busy although we had the odd dumb motorist pulling stupid overtaking moves.

They really need antoher venue...getting 5000 odd people in and out of that venue is asking for trouble. Vehicles coming in and cyclists heading out on the same straight is asking for a serious accident. Add in people who start to stress about not parking in time and stopping next to the road and cycling in adds more possibility of a *&%$ up.

They facilities are just not geared for this type of mass event....cap it at 2500 entrants.

The route is great and the roads are not tooooooo busy although we had the odd dumb motorist pulling stupid overtaking moves.

Strange that there are only 2409 timed results across the three distances.

106km - 1362

80km - 895

65km - 152

Does that mean 2500 people are riding without chips? I highly doubt they had 5000 as claimed.

All the best to those that crashed (and obviously not part of the 2409 timed finishers.

Agree with you.  The vehicle entrances crossing into the road just before the finish of the cycle race is also a big balls up waiting to happen.  We had a few issues trying to pass the cars following the ladies race as well.

But don't stress too much about this year, there's large roadworks due to start soon around Harties which includes widening of the bridge we went over, so let's wait and see what next year brings.  I'll possibly rather go to Shova again.

Strange that there are only 2409 timed results across the three distances.

106km - 1362

80km - 895

65km - 152

Does that mean 2500 people are riding without chips? I highly doubt they had 5000 as claimed.

All the best to those that crashed (and obviously not part of the 2409 timed finishers.

JIp....I was thinking the same thing...

Guestimate 2000 riders.

Still a large amount for a padstal next to the road with 6 portiloos. 

My 2c...

• Thought the marshals on bikes were superb (rode towards the front of CL)
  • Other marshals weren't bad...
  • Signage and markings were erratic (signs where there didn't need to be, no signs or markings where there really should've been)
  • That venue is a disaster!

And don't forget then odd dumb cyclist trying to move up in the bunch by riding in the right hand lane and then forcing their way into the bunch to avoid a head on collision with a vehicle. 

Had a lekker day out, missed my sub-3 by 4 seconds (darnit!) Had a number of strong okes helping in the front DL group, thanks for the help gents (especially the VA guy, man you were strong)!

Caught up with a mix of AM and CL peeps on the better side of Hekpoort, thanks for the help over the last few bumps, I was dying at the end of the race.

Now for Carnival :clap:

Edit: Strong oke was VA, bleeding through my eyes has altered my memory slightly

Hehe, I really enjoyed riding in the DL group, was a first for me. You will be 100 for Carnival, will defiantly get a sub 3 this time. I will not be joining  as need to be back in VA doing 125km :eek:

For us slow guys (we got to the 2ndlast waterpoint and they had no water.i had to ride the last +-30km without water. I am still dehydrated I need a drib.

Hi guys

Apologies for this. Louis’ bakkie got a flat tyre up Hekpoort on his way to replenish the waterpoint.

As I got to the waterpoint there was 25 litres of water left and I stuck around until Louis arrived, which constituted a window of ten minutes during which the waterpoint was only serving Coke.

All riders before and after this window were hydrated and had the option of Coke, water and PowerAde.

Yeah, ... the 6 portiloos ...

The biggest problem ...  too few of them ...

They need to

have 2 or 4 portaloos dedicated to the dudes - for the long drop .. and 2 x 4 pee pods - although trees work great as well for the lads ...

and then for the ladies - 10 or more dedicated portaloos at least ...

and then additional 2 in the start pens for unisex ...

just a thought ...

Hi guys

Apologies for this. Louis’ bakkie got a flat tyre up Hekpoort on his way to replenish the waterpoint.

As I got to the waterpoint there was 25 litres of water left and I stuck around until Louis arrived, which constituted a window of ten minutes during which the waterpoint was only serving Coke.

All riders before and after this window were hydrated and had the option of Coke, water and PowerAde.

Doubt it was only 10min. I was standing at that water point for 15min waiting for someone, and when I got there it had already run out on water.

ASG, what happened to the 'goody bag' for early entries?

Hehe, I really enjoyed riding in the DL group, was a first for me. You will be 100 for Carnival, will defiantly get a sub 3 this time. I will not be joining  as need to be back in VA doing 125km :eek:

Haha, well thanks for joining us at the back, I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciated the help! Thanks man, will be stoked if I do. Good luck with the long one, you okes are crazy :eek:  

Hi guys

I think as penance you should offer a massive discount sale... Like a Pinarello F8 with E-Tap for R100k ... then I'll forgive you :whistling:  :whistling:

I thought it was a great race and found that everything ran very smoothly...

Luckily i used the trees so i could escape the toilet queue  ;)

started in AL and hang on for dear life to the front bunch until about 65 km when I realised that my front wheel was loose. I literally stopped for about 5 sec to tighten it and was about 50m beyond the bunch. I tried for about 2 km to catch them and burnt all matches in the process. Ride until hekpoort on my own before the front of BL caught up with me. My legs was shot and I couldn't stick with them.

Ended eventually in 3h05 which was a bit disappointing. otherwise an awesome race.