2017 Freedom Challenge RASA & RTR

Martin 2012 vs Martin 2017

Allendale - 30 mins quicker

Malekholonyane - 6hrs quicker

Rhodes - 8hrs quicker

Slaapkranz - 15hrs

Romansfontein  - 20 hrs

De Doorns 24hrs

What he has appeared to have done is stop shorter and ride a bit quicker. By doing this he's been able to get a bit further on almost each day before stopping for a short rest/sleep.

This is how he 'leapfrogs' his 2012 schedule by about 4/6 hours each time he is able to go further. In the last 2 days he's been on almost the same schedule as in 2012 (but just a day quicker). Taking just on 3 days from willowmoore in 2012, he's probably on a similar track. Only he knows how much quicker he could go from there to the finish.

So, on the assumption that he gets to willowmore tonight around midnight, we're looking at a 9 day 12 hours record. or 228 hours total.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-J1Lq5C79qkU/VDusDs9cBDI/AAAAAAAAADg/4QMqsHgPd-k/s1600/Brc2J_kIMAEoPnR.jpg

on the fffth afternoon, Martin had got to De Doorns a full 24 hours ahead of the 2012 schedule

He settled into the same rythm from 5 years ago in approaching the Osseberg, and 2 days later he was still 24 hours ahead of the 2012 Martin.

He seems to have slowed (warning - this is a relative term) since Willowmore and the 2012 Martin has pulled 9 hours back on him by Montagu.

In 2012, he had Alex Harris chasing only 4 hours behind in the baviaanskloof. This lead concertinad but grew to a maximum of 8 hours over the last four days of riding. In 2017 Martin has had to timetrial the clock and the elements as his lead to 2nd place is a whopping 36 hours!

All that remains now is the final section to what has been a flippen unbelievable ride.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the backmarkers at bucklands, we can fit the field in a nice big landscape picture now.

there's a currently a massive hole in the field, that will be gone soon, then we can really zoom in again!

post-1830-0-59912900-1498143243_thumb.jpg

The jeep track seems to have been cleared up.. I would suggest it is 100% rideable going down (RASA).

We rode up a fair percentage of it and only really walked because, well, its long and tedious and steep and we were a wee bit tired...

You are right. Our group rode all of Osseberg down in March.

Crazy German also right. I also thought Grootrivierpoort was a stunning place and our passage wasn't very difficult, just a great adventure. In other years and at night I acknowledge it may be a different story (and off course the cactii are a touch irritating).

PS: We talk about places that few will ever experience, what a privilege!

Tough down in Stettyns. Martin has been in there almost 12 hours already. What's the weather like Capies?

would have been wet and cold!I was happy under my duvet.

Thing is with the old GSM trackers we would have been guessing where he was as there is no cell signal. He has definitely shacked up.

what's happening? Can he still crack 10 days?

Missed it - time was up  this morning :(

After all that effort, so close to the end - shows what a hard ride this really is

what's happening? Can he still crack 10 days?

10 Days was 6 o'clock this morning so no, but still on course to set a new record. Good to see that he is at least moving again.

edit

Serious heartbreak hotel stuff... just reminds us how tough this all is when even he can get it so wrong. Still an unbelievable ride though, but I can only assume he will be back again to go sub 10. Sub 9 is surely impossible?

To my eyeball, it seems that the last two days since Rouxpas he has slowed down a bit.  Taking longer to get to the next stop and actually stopping at each of the checkpoints which he wasn't doing earlier in the race.  He's still moving at a far quicker pace than I could manage, and I know that he's been going flat out for a long time, but still I'm wondering if he knows that he's got the record in the bag and is now leaving a little gap to break into the sub 10 next time?

My little conspiracy theory