Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

I wonder if it would last long. I am sure they have a huge clientele from africa/ south africa. Are they prepared to loose these customers/sales

Garmin was removed from their catalogue for SA browsing last year, and it's still not available to us  :thumbdown:

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it would last long. I am sure they have a huge clientele from africa/ south africa. Are they prepared to loose these customers/sales

I don't know considering CRC ship worldwide and move a lot of stuff.  I have just checked Wiggle and see they also do not ship SRAM to SA.  When I changed to ship to UK, SRAM was available.

Maybe they starting with the big online shops and will work their way down the list

if big manufacturers are happy to give big discounts to dealers like CRC (who clear huge volumes of stock) ... why not take the approach of passing on the goods at the same price to smaller retailers ... they might clear less stock, there are huge numbers of retailers out there, and collectively they will clear large volumes.

Landed my Dura-Ace mechanical for just under 17k after duties.... Find it hard to order anything locally anymore, even from SA's largest online grey import retailer...

I don't know considering CRC ship worldwide and move a lot of stuff.  I have just checked Wiggle and see they also do not ship SRAM to SA.  When I changed to ship to UK, SRAM was available.

Maybe they starting with the big online shops and will work their way down the list

Well Wiggle owns Chain, so they would apply the same rules.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy - Try these okes out:

http://www.postbox-courier.com/

They give you a personalized delivery address in the UK (USA and other countries), and then they courier to SA once they receive the goods.  For any goods that do not ship to SA.  I used them for a USA shipment - worked like a charm.  The small incremental cost of shipping first to your "UK address" and 

Did you not end up paying VAT twice, once for the UK, and once for SA when you forward it on?

There is a simple workaround. Email CRC with your order and ask them to create a Paypal invoice, pay via PayPal and your SRAM order will be on its way to SA.

Change your country on their site to any country in the EU so you can browse SRAM or Garmin.

Use the price you see in £|€ less around 10% to work out the price in R

Worked on the RockShox forks I ordered.

T

Edited by Tony datoy

if big manufacturers are happy to give big discounts to dealers like CRC (who clear huge volumes of stock) ... why not take the approach of passing on the goods at the same price to smaller retailers ... they might clear less stock, there are huge numbers of retailers out there, and collectively they will clear large volumes.

Naa, if items are marked down in price from the distributor then all the dealers benefit from that price. 

There is a simple workaround. Email CRC with your order and ask them to create a Paypal invoice, pay via PayPal and your SRAM order will be on its way to SA.

Change your country on their site to any country in the EU so you can browse SRAM or Garmin.

Use the price you see in £|€ less around 10% to work out the price in R

Worked on the RockShox forks I ordered.

T

Sram just read you post  :ph34r:

Rock and a hard place, not just in the cycle industry, think camera gear.

Manufacturers/brands continue to impose draconian distribution channels on Africa and the Southern Hemisphere in general. 
The result, completely unfair pricing across the board. 

The number of times that stuff docks HERE in South Africa without being offloaded, and then continues it's shipping route to Europe who then handle distribution back down along the channel networks, including SA/Sub Saharan regions, using 'agents/importers'

Rather than take the more logical step of creating direct import channels to SA/Sub Saharan regions and the like. Some are doing this and they'll reap the rewards while the others will struggle or fall in line.

Never mind the importing of these things. We have the skills and know how to make all of these equipment from bicycle parts to cameras to cars. However along the line we will still over pay.