Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These tangent arguments are amazing...

Basically, whether we like it or not, SRAM/Rockshox is now not available from over the pond.

Whether or not that is a crippling move only time will tell. At the end of the day we need to move on and make it work for us.

We should be talking affordable solutions and banding together sharing ideas on a way to move forward.

Squabbling over the merits of something that has already happened is a bit like shouting at your wife for burning the supper. It isn't going to taste any better and all you will do is add a sour taste to the burnt one.

We all know Cool Heat is a scaly hoo ha.... I way prefer shimano to SRAM on the MTB. Road I like SRAM.

Do I actually care though... nah... I will always buy what I can afford within the constraints laid out in front of me.

I will likely downsize my stable to 1 x road and 2 x mountain bikes over the next little while to minimize my maintenance spending AND bike upgrade addiction, but thats cool too.

CCS, you have mode this bed. Lets see how long you sleep in it. 

Make forks more affordable and make cassettes cheaper..... do it. DO IT!

Well at least rapide are local. Hopefully sometime soon they develop some quality derailleurs/groupsets etc

Well according to the bike shop guy i spoke to, prices were coming down on SRAM - he mentioned a chain for R245.00. Not sure of the quality, but that's cheap.

SRAM/CCS have quietly shafted the abused consumers of SA. i haven't seen any marketing - you know " we cut you off from overseas to bring you better prices and service locally" No sir, and I fear we will never see that. 

I think these guys think small not big. The bigger picture is me buying a fork aus Germany aus. I need a seal kit. i get Stoke to order one locally and fit it. SRAM has made 2 sales.

The small picture is me not buying a RS fork at all because the local prices are stupid. I buy a Fox from the USA on sale for less. 

Globally, SRAM loses a sale and i decide Fox is the brand for me, forever. i was considering SRAM as a 1x11 upgrade for my wife's bike. Now I recon Shimano will go on.

The bigger more innovative picture would be SRAM USA giving a percentage of their SA sales via foreign web stores to that countries importer. Then everyone would be happy, maybe?

I'm not arguing the merit of marketing.  It exists, and it costs money. Duh.

I'm saying it's either disingenuous or naive to suggest that because a company does "a lot for the sport" I should be ok with them recouping that "nice to have" via the RRP.  Either be honest and just call it marketing and then they must be accountable to their consumers for their pricing.

AND then they must have the balls to face the consequences of poor strategic decisions; not hide behind protectionist BS to cover them against natural market consequences.

man, this isn't what I wanted to hear. 

Since the Rand/GBP started showing some improvements, I've been watching CRC like a hawk to by a new 1x11 cassette, should my X01 need replacing - probably within the next year. But then logic said, no way...you'd be stupid to tie up cash in bicycle parts. And look now!

At least my one client in the UK offered to ship stuff from the UK for me, but I guess then you still have to pay the VAT on that side, plus you lose out on free shipping for orders >GBP130. Suppose it would still be a lot cheaper than buying locally.

Grrr.

• 4 weeks later...

That's you and quite a few on here who knows gear and can see through fluff. By FAR the biggest part of the buying market base their decisions on marketing - whether knowingly or unknowingly. Show me the success story of a brand who does no marketing.

Google

BTW, just bought Shimano XT 2X11 for R6500 from CRC, in my hands will probably be around R7600.

SRAMs support, even with their distributor exclusivity, is pretty abysmal. I have been waiting for a 100mm air spring for my Reba now for more than 5 months. They suck. I am gonna go Fox and Shimano now for all my bikes in the family (6 of them). And Campy if I can afford it.

Edited by Moridin

Maybe I am missing something but there are umpteen online outlets selling SRAM

and do those umpteen outlets actually ship to ZA? POST EM UP!

SRAM are defending their distributors by blocking sales from online stores to us. So what it means to SRAM is less supply to the online stores( because we and the cyclists in Aussie, NZ etc can't buy) and to compensate for the reduction in supply the didtributors in these countries will have to buy more from SRAM.SRAM certainly wont be prepared to lose sales just to protect the distributor. I would think that when distributor contracts are renegotiated the minimum order quantity requirements would be increased to compensate for the reduction in online sales.So more pressure on the distributor to beef up stock holdings. Now if cyclists wont pay the high prices then a strategy rethink will be needed. Online shopping is here to stay and ultimately the SRAM bean counters will have to work out the benefits of supporting an online model versus distributors-many bike brands are selling online now( Giant and Trek for example) and  SRAM's exclusionary stance could be short lived if the numbers don't make sense. So maybe the vaseline will be needed by the distributors in the not to distant future. If warranties are the issue( which I suspect are #2 reason behind losing sales to online shops) then SRAM should work out a deal with local distributors that is reasonable but corporate bean counters don't think like this. The % of warranty claims must be minute vs sales losses so no guessing what I would do if it were my business. Keep the client happy. On the local front how will Chris Willemse handle this? Will SRAM force him to buy from Cape Cycle Systems? Especially that Willemse is now owned by a large corporate with their own muscle and lawyers/accountants? Interesting times!! 

PM for a site still shipping SRAM goodies to SA. Get it while you can.

Edited by usxorf

and do those umpteen outlets actually ship to ZA? POST EM UP!

Not going to happen......

Cape Cycles is watching this closely.

If you have a source....be happy and go for it. 

Not going to happen......

Cape Cycles is watching this closely.

If you have a source....be happy and go for it. 

"post em" is code for PM :P

SRAM are defending their distributors by blocking sales from online stores to us. So what it means to SRAM is less supply to the online stores( because we and the cyclists in Aussie, NZ etc can't buy) and to compensate for the reduction in supply the didtributors in these countries will have to buy more from SRAM.SRAM certainly wont be prepared to lose sales just to protect the distributor. I would think that when distributor contracts are renegotiated the minimum order quantity requirements would be increased to compensate for the reduction in online sales.So more pressure on the distributor to beef up stock holdings. Now if cyclists wont pay the high prices then a strategy rethink will be needed. Online shopping is here to stay and ultimately the SRAM bean counters will have to work out the benefits of supporting an online model versus distributors-many bike brands are selling online now( Giant and Trek for example) and  SRAM's exclusionary stance could be short lived if the numbers don't make sense. So maybe the vaseline will be needed by the distributors in the not to distant future. If warranties are the issue( which I suspect are #2 reason behind losing sales to online shops) then SRAM should work out a deal with local distributors that is reasonable but corporate bean counters don't think like this. The % of warranty claims must be minute vs sales losses so no guessing what I would do if it were my business. Keep the client happy. On the local front how will Chris Willemse handle this? Will SRAM force him to buy from Cape Cycle Systems? Especially that Willemse is now owned by a large corporate with their own muscle and lawyers/accountants? Interesting times!! 

If you have access to the info, then let us know when the are forced to buy this larger consignment, so i can start to NOT buy, and let them sweat their decisions.