Don't try and order SRAM from overseas anymore...

Headshot

Not going to happen......

Cape Cycles is watching this closely.

If you have a source....be happy and go for it. 

Jenson USA are waiting for me to press the tit on a SRAM groupset.Seems fine.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have access to the info, then let us know when the are forced to buy this larger consignment, so i can start to NOT buy, and let them sweat their decisions.

It happens with most industries where distributors are involved. Car industry a perfect example. If you want to own a new car agency then you need to hold x stock and buy from manufacturer in quantities, models and colours they determine . Works the same as  food franchise-you 'will' buy x many rolls, hamburger patties etc from our chain. Of course I do not have access to the cycling info but I know how distribution agreements work. If sales are reduced by blocking the online access they have to be made up elsewhere and so the heat WILL come down on local distributors to pick up the slack.Bike industry is battling right now so a model that does not increase sales to manufacture will soon be revisited. 

Probably been mentioned before.

(Or maybe somewhat  :offtopic: )

The local bikes shops wonder why we buy online.

Had to buy a new 10-speed chain yesterday.

LBS asks R640 thanks. :eek:  

Can buy the same chain online from Europe. R285    

Even after shipping and import that is more than double.  :angry:

Rant over. 

Probably been mentioned before.

(Or maybe somewhat  :offtopic: )

The local bikes shops wonder why we buy online.

Had to buy a new 10-speed chain yesterday.

LBS asks R640 thanks. :eek:  

Can buy the same chain online from Europe. R285    

Even after shipping and import that is more than double.  :angry:

Rant over. 

There is still too little of us importing and hence the LBS is not feeling it and even less so the distributor. As long as they can sell 10 of those chains theyre sorted and not too worried about the few that get imported.

I think that with a few mates, one can order online twice a year and just got to LBS for services. I regularly tell my LBS that I'm waiting for a delivery on the bigger/more expensive items but i gladly buy the day to day things locally

Got to wonder where the real issue is here. If local agents are moaning about having to honour or do warranty repairs for grey goods is the problem really the small consumer who use overseas bike shops to import stuff? We buy things such as chains, cassettes, pedals and groupsets-kit that generally do not break. Finnicky really expensive things like shocks, forks, dropper posts etc are generally bought locally so that one can have recourse to LSB and agent/distributor. But is the real problem not on warranties where the big importers buy containers full of bikes (with SRAM components already fitted)? Where there are fails  warranty and repair claims go to the local SA agent who has to honour them? Far more bikes imported with SRAM stuff than what we buy through CRC. So my conspiracy theory is that SRAM in the USA is just keeping the local distributor happy by putting heat on the online shop in Europe but ignoring the elephant in the room of thousands of bikes coming into SA where the components were not bought via local distributor. SRAM USA care not less where their goods are sold-to OEM, online bike shops or to a local distributor and that's the bottom line.

Consumer choice in this country just took a bit of a hit. SRAM will no longer allow its retailers in the UK, and the EU to sell to SA. CRC have already stopped. Log on with your delivery country as SA and no SRAM products will display. 

I understand the reasoning but I think it is a two edged sword. My cycling is made possible by the lower prices on specials you can get from time to time in the EU. I would probably not be riding a Pike fork if I had to pay the then local prices of R12k or so. What do i do in future - maybe sell up and move to a cheaper sport? Refuse to buy SRAM anymore? Use a foreign forwarding address? 

One of the reasons is warranty claims. Apparently people order  from overseas and expect the local guys to warranty the product. I can't believe people do that, but I am sure it does happen.  

According to a shop owner, prices of SRAM kit is coming down, but I wonder if we will ever be on a par with our friends in Europe as far as pricing is concerned. The ability to order in when times are tough helps keep us riding when the Rand plunges. Not anymore as far as SRAM is concerned.

Any loss of choice for the hard pressed consumer in SA is a bad thing IMO. What say the rest of you?

You managed to buy a pike locally for R12k...???

Try R16500, I just paid R10500 second hand

Got to wonder where the real issue is here. If local agents are moaning about having to honour or do warranty repairs for grey goods is the problem really the small consumer who use overseas bike shops to import stuff? We buy things such as chains, cassettes, pedals and groupsets-kit that generally do not break. Finnicky really expensive things like shocks, forks, dropper posts etc are generally bought locally so that one can have recourse to LSB and agent/distributor. But is the real problem not on warranties where the big importers buy containers full of bikes (with SRAM components already fitted)? Where there are fails  warranty and repair claims go to the local SA agent who has to honour them? Far more bikes imported with SRAM stuff than what we buy through CRC. So my conspiracy theory is that SRAM in the USA is just keeping the local distributor happy by putting heat on the online shop in Europe but ignoring the elephant in the room of thousands of bikes coming into SA where the components were not bought via local distributor. SRAM USA care not less where their goods are sold-to OEM, online bike shops or to a local distributor and that's the bottom line.

i read your 'theory' as essentially saying SRAM is trying to force more OEM bikes to be specced with their branded groupsets ?

as for only buying small stuff, I disagree: i buy the expensive stuff from overseas as well. It's a risk I'm willing to take because the local pricing is to put it mildly; fuggin insane.

I save literally thousands of rands buying my suspension from overseas. I'd gladly buy locally given the peace of mind with warrantees and what not, but not with stupid retail pricing.

I'd  rather take the risk of lack of local warrantee, buy overseas, and then spend a bit of money on the odd defects that are likely very minor.

I could have the same defect spending the fuggin insane monies local pricing demands. That's just not cricket to me.

Edited by Capricorn

You managed to buy a pike locally for R12k...???

Try R16500, I just paid R10500 second hand

it was exactly that local retail and 2nd hand pricing that forced me to buy overseas. My pike, landed, at my doorstep: a whiff over R11k. ^_^

My lyrik wasn't much more. Thousands saved.

Edited by Capricorn

it was exactly that local retail and 2nd hand pricing that forced me to buy overseas. My pike, landed, at my doorstep: a whiff over R11k. ^_^

what is a top of the range Pike now at the LBS .. around 19K?

what is a top of the range Pike now at the LBS .. around 19K?

dont know. almost don't care. But if anyone comes with what seems like a 'reasonable local price', let's ask what the discount from 'standard pricing' was

Edited by Capricorn

Yes, its a joke. i got a Pike RCT3 for around R9k last year from Germany. They are still available on the same site for almost the same price.

R19k at CWC  - what are these smouse smoking??

I see a nice business opportunity here for a Hubber residing in Europe.  :ph34r:

Did I just say that? No, I was misquoted. 

I suggested that on page one! lol

Order what you want when you book your holiday to Spain. Pick it up when you come here to visit and take it back with you.

Simples.

:-)

Of course explaining to your other half how a trip to Spain is worth it because you "save R200 on a chain" might be tricky, but us cyclists are historically known for our great imagination :-)

Edited by Bonus