This is why motorists get annoyed

IceCreamMan

Sorry I don't see what's the problem ...

We all pay tax ...

Last time I checked a cyclist has exectly the same right as a motorist ? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless if that was a slow car ... what whould you do ? Wait for safety and pass ?

So why not treat a cyclist the same ?

Sorry I'm finding it hard to grasp the anger for road space ? The more cyclist, the less cars on the road equals less traffic ?

Win win ?

Sorry I don't see what's the problem ...

We all pay tax ...

Last time I checked a cyclist has exectly the same right as a motorist ? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regardless if that was a slow car ... what whould you do ? Wait for safety and pass ?

So why not treat a cyclist the same ?

Sorry I'm finding it hard to grasp the anger for road space ? The more cyclist, the less cars on the road equals less traffic ?

Win win ?

Duh ....

My humor completely fails me ....

I drive as close as possible, as slow as possible, drifting the cyclists onto the side/pavement with a middle finger salute.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also where a cycle lane is available, it is law unto the cyclist to make use of that lane and not the road.

It's a stupid law that cyclists have to ride single file.  Does not exist in most cycle friendly countries.

There is no research worldwide that supports single file riding as being safer than riding 2 or 3 abreast.

In fact, there is plenty of research that shows riding single file is actually more dangerous as it increases the time a motorists needs to overtake as the object being overtaken is longer.

Okay so on the point of road safety - i dont see any rear lights on any of the bikes - bad photo maybe but then it should still be visible.

Since it seems there is low light conditions - after all the guy in the bakkie coming from the front has his headlights on.

Now its a good idea to have your headlights on anyway so surely as a cyclist you should at least have rear light.

Anyone recognise the club or group? Looks like matching kit or club kit... Great riding group promoting safe cycling.

Suppose they like to live dangerously

Yes they have the same rights. Also have to follow the same rules. And one of those rules is that cars, motorcycles, and bicycles are not allowed to ride next to each other in the same lane.

Okay... some bicycles riding next to each other in the road is not the end of the world, but where there is a single lane and traffic cyclists can ride in single file.

Seems like the common sense rule of making space for everyone just applies to motorists, but cyclists must just make space for other cyclists - screw the motorists... Just my assessment of the attitude allot of cyclists have these days.

This is a bit of moot point and one that upsets motorists.

On a road like this I would, If on my own, would ride where the 2nd row of cyclists are riding. From a safety perspective (Own the road and all) 

So in fact I do not care who rides on my left, but yes motorists see this as an issue.

So the question is if they were all riding single file in the middle of the lane, what would the comment be?

Hi guys,

It is good to post these pics because it gets an argument/discussion going, and the more we talk about it the more aware we become.

Unfortunately riding like this is wrong, we know it, but we are all guilty of it at one time or another.

Have a great cycling week and good luck to the Amashova riders.

Sarge

It's a stupid law that cyclists have to ride single file.  Does not exist in most cycle friendly countries.

There is no research worldwide that supports single file riding as being safer than riding 2 or 3 abreast.

In fact, there is plenty of research that shows riding single file is actually more dangerous as it increases the time a motorists needs to overtake as the object being overtaken is longer.

Don't think too many will dispute this.

However, when riding 2 or 3 abreast, tight formation is essential. (which less experienced riders struggle with - and some experienced riders too) 

No good if your group is as wide as it would have been long if in single file.

Edited by Thomo

Changing the Law is a small part of the solution.. The bigger and harder part is re-educating 52Mil people that the laws have changed.

Many cyclist don't even know the laws that are there to protect them.  

Which are?

Are you referring to the 'Many Cyclist' or the 'laws'?

Edited by AdamA

Are you referring to the 'Many Cyclist' or the 'laws'?

Let me think on that one.

The laws that are there to protect them.