Fixed.

If you have a 5W/Kg FTP, you are winning races in SA.

I'm pretty sure the dudes winning races in SA will have a higher FTP than 5 w/kg

Also, depends on the course and the weight of the rider right? A light guy with FTP of 5 w/kg will get dropped by a heavier rider at 5 w/kg on a flatter course, and most of the races don't have real long, steep climbs

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All jokes aside.

Once again thanx for feedback gents

Much appreciated :thumbup:

But are you really looking for feedback or someone to support your delusional ideas....

Think Darren Lill mentioned he can do 330W/60min (FTP) 58 - 60kg

Stricker is too cheap to spend money on a coach, where is he donna find the cash for EPO. And even if he did have the cash, he would want a guarantee that his body reacts positively to the drugs, lets say...10% improvement off the bat.

But are you really looking for feedback or someone to support your delusional ideas....

really looking for feedback

Between all the joking around and stirring and yes trolling , I have already received a huge amount of information.

Thx to all :thumbup:

Edited by Stricker

Think Darren Lill mentioned he can do 330W/60min (FTP) 58 - 60kg

That was what I was trying to get at. 5.5 w / kg is a big jump from 5 w/kg

5 w/kg isn't going to win you a race (unless you're heavy and it's not a hilly race)

Edited by devocean

Very happy to see you guys have found your sense of humor :thumbup:  :thumbup: and its not even Friday :clap:

As I'm sitting now, I actually have no ambition whatsoever to compete against my fellow peers, yes Iove racing and truth be told, if I one day i should end up in a break away, I will gladly give a fellow compatriot the win :thumbup:

Being dropped on the other hand .... :ph34r:  :ph34r: leave that for another day..

My race is against myself , would like to get to 5wpkg maybe even 5,5wpkg( not only FTP power but all over increase). for all I know ..I have reached my ceiling and cant get any stronger... who knows :devil:

But I would like to find out :thumbup:

So who willing to coach me.. :ph34r:

Willing to pay 1K for every 5% increase   :thumbup:

If you are serious about the commitment and actually follow the prescribed training given correctly, submit data on time and have a test performed (at your cost) before hand, I will be open to your 1k per 5% deal depending on a meeting and seeing where and what. money would need to be held in a separate party for when or if payment needs to be made.

Note that a correct time frame for a re-test will beed to be made to allow for adequate training and adaptation so both benefit. We can even put your test, training and relevant data on here for all to see so there is no hiding.

I'm pretty sure the dudes winning races in SA will have a higher FTP than 5 w/kg

Also, depends on the course and the weight of the rider right? A light guy with FTP of 5 w/kg will get dropped by a heavier rider at 5 w/kg on a flatter course, and most of the races don't have real long, steep climbs

Ai man, I was making a point...... I didnt say winning ALL the races, but at 5w/Kg you can certainly win some. Especially on road.

Ai man, I was making a point...... I didnt say winning ALL the races, but at 5w/Kg you can certainly win some. Especially on road.

My statement was more of a question. I'm new to riding with a power meter so those were my thoughts. Was interested in what you and others thought. I weigh 66 kg and ftp is around 330 watts, which is around 5 w/kg. On flat races I don't feel like have much chance of winning at all, but races with steep climbs are more in my favour, yet there's always a handful of guys that climb that bit faster, which is why I was saying I thought 5 w/kg wasn't quite enough to win a race. Maybe 5 min power is more crucial in road racing than ftp?

My statement was more of a question. I'm new to riding with a power meter so those were my thoughts. Was interested in what you and others thought. I weigh 66 kg and ftp is around 330 watts, which is around 5 w/kg. On flat races I don't feel like have much chance of winning at all, but races with steep climbs are more in my favour, yet there's always a handful of guys that climb that bit faster, which is why I was saying I thought 5 w/kg wasn't quite enough to win a race. Maybe 5 min power is more crucial in road racing than ftp?

Ah my bad, apologies.

Right off the bat, I am not expert on this.....

But one must remember that FTP is an indicator, more than a be all and end all number. There is however a correlation between FTP and shorter efforts, hence the use of the 20min or 2x8min methods ect.

Yes in SA road race those shorter efforts are probably more important, but like I said there will be a correlation between those short efforts and the longer ones.

If you are pushing 5w/Kg as a newbie to the sport, I just want to say that I hate you ;)

If this is your starting point, I would get hold of the very guys who started this thread ASAP and ask them for some help. You clearly have the legs, you just now need to understand how to use it. I have a good mate who regularly podiums MTB in elites, and he is sitting at 5, but he has been around the block and knows when and how to use his limited power.

It's not all just about power, if it was, we could settle all races on a Wattbike ;)

Doesn't it all depend on your outlook?

What is the end goal?

To do races or race races?

Most of us will never grace the top 20 at Epic or win the Attakwas, but doing the race briskly? No, a coach is not required.

Discipline, hard work and maintaining the passion to enjoy your riding are probably a good balance and starting point.

I only 'race' i race a year, Expedition Africa. All the others I am there for the gees, the beer afterwards and trying to beat my mates.

If we are to believe we all need to 'improve' go and do some skills clinics.

I think the attitude of cyclists is warped... faster, harder, scooter! One does not need to go faster and post pictures of you doing intervals on the interwebs to enjoy riding and be reasonably fast at it. Same as a coach.... but our obsession with racing in this country is out of hand... It will not change and hat is why so many bog average cyclists have full time coaches.

But good on them... Supply/demand. Personally I would rather spend that money on my family and take myself less seriously.

I Coach myself... get up at 03:45 3 times a week and 2 rides on a weekend = 5... ill never be pro so cycling is FUN to me....I enjoy what I do and I don't want to stress about numbers etc.

Might to off the topic here... but why don't we get the organizers to have "more" races finish uphill?

I'm sick of the usual flat rides and big bunches coming in together... the 99er race is my absolute favourite !!! This separates the strong from the weak !

Just my 2cents... PPA maybe take note ?

Oh...im no climber btw... :mellow:

If you are serious about the commitment and actually follow the prescribed training given correctly, submit data on time and have a test performed (at your cost) before hand, I will be open to your 1k per 5% deal depending on a meeting and seeing where and what. money would need to be held in a separate party for when or if payment needs to be made.

Note that a correct time frame for a re-test will beed to be made to allow for adequate training and adaptation so both benefit. We can even put your test, training and relevant data on here for all to see so there is no hiding.

Where I come from that is called putting your money where your mouth is (literally in this case), I would even offer to be the separate party where the money is held and then eventually hand it over to Mr. Wakefield!

Ah my bad, apologies.

Right off the bat, I am not expert on this.....

But one must remember that FTP is an indicator, more than a be all and end all number. There is however a correlation between FTP and shorter efforts, hence the use of the 20min or 2x8min methods ect.

Yes in SA road race those shorter efforts are probably more important, but like I said there will be a correlation between those short efforts and the longer ones.

If you are pushing 5w/Kg as a newbie to the sport, I just want to say that I hate you ;)

If this is your starting point, I would get hold of the very guys who started this thread ASAP and ask them for some help. You clearly have the legs, you just now need to understand how to use it. I have a good mate who regularly podiums MTB in elites, and he is sitting at 5, but he has been around the block and knows when and how to use his limited power.

It's not all just about power, if it was, we could settle all races on a Wattbike ;)

I'm not new to cycling (have been commuting to work by bike pretty much every weekday for the last 4 years) but am fairly new to racing and very new to riding with a power meter. I don't really train during the week besides my commute (15km each way) but often do a 3 or 4 hr ride on the weekend. This week somebody suggested I get coaching, which was what made this thread catch my eye but the thing I always wonder is how much can you really gain by putting in so much more effort (law of diminishing returns). Would be nice to be a real contender for a race, but at the same time, would hate for riding a bike to become a chore. What if the coach told me I had to cut down on lemon creams? :P