Titan launch first dual suspension bike, the Sonic

News bot

A relatively steep head angle was decided upon to help keep the front wheel planted firmly to the ground and the steering sharp and nimble. This shows the Sonic’s racing character that is crafted into every inch of its tubes.

Fekkin' what?!

Not concerned about descending are they now. When will bike companies learn - most riders don't need a steep race geo bike, especially at this price point. If they had given this a 68 degree HTA it would have been so much more user friendly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not concerned about descending are they now. When will bike companies learn - most riders don't need a steep race geo bike, especially at this price point. If they had given this a 68 degree HTA it would have been so much more user friendly.

Sure, but that never stopped all those Epics from being sold.

Plus, for R13k less than the Epic FSR Comp you get pretty much the same spec bike in the Titan.

Sure, but that never stopped all those Epics from being sold.

Plus, for R13k less than the Epic FSR Comp you get pretty much the same spec bike in the Titan.

It didn't stop sales because people know no better and get sold what the shops and manufacturers throw at them. Throw a poorly skilled person on a steep angled race bike and its a recipe for bottle necks at the races when things get a bit tech, as we see all the time. 

The Anthem X which is widely considered a good all round bike around here has a head angle of 71.5 degrees and 462mm chain stays. 70 degrees on a 100m 29er is hardly a spitting cobra.

True, but have a look at what the 2017 Anthem looks like. Its a trail taming beast in comparison. 

It didn't stop sales because people know no better and get sold what the shops and manufacturers throw at them. Throw a poorly skilled person on a steep angled race bike and its a recipe for bottle necks at the races when things get a bit tech, as we see all the time. 

So we agree, they'll sell well.

So we agree, they'll sell well.

Full disclosure: if Odinson of 2013, just getting into MTBing, saw these bikes on the floor of Sportsman's in Fourways, he would've been all over that! :ph34r:

On another note, can someone please send a pic of these Titan tyres to Spez' attorneys. They look a mighty lot like the Fast Trak.

Full disclosure: if Odinson of 2013, just getting into MTBing, saw these bikes on the floor of Sportsman's in Fourways, he would've been all over that! :ph34r:

On another note, can someone please send a pic of these Titan tyres to Spez' attorneys. They look a mighty lot like the Fast Trak.

If thats the case, and these bikes sell, expect lots of broken clavicle threads soon.

True, but have a look at what the 2017 Anthem looks like. Its a trail taming beast in comparison. 

I see in 27.5 form it has almost become the trance of a few years back. But the Anthem X 29er which is their SA marathon bike still has the 71.5.

I fully agree with you that the bread and butter bike should be the 120mm trail bike for most riders but the claims on this site about Epics etc being like walking on eggs are greatly exaggerated. 

I see in 27.5 form it has almost become the trance of a few years back. But the Anthem X 29er which is their SA marathon bike still has the 71.5.

I fully agree with you that the bread and butter bike should be the 120mm trail bike for most riders but the claims on this site about Epics etc being like walking on eggs are greatly exaggerated. 

I am certainly not dissing the Epic or any other steep angled race bike. They have  their place - as fast efficient race bikes for skilled riders. They are a very specific tool, not an everyday mountain bike IMO. I think the skill required to pilot one down a steep rocky track at a decent pace is far greater than required on a slacker 120mm trail bike making them unsuitable for the market they have long been sold into in SA. Overseas they account for far less of MTB sales I imagine, partly because the terrain and lower focus on marathon events. Happily, as we can see, things are changing. Can't believe how long it has taken the industry....