Titan launch first dual suspension bike, the Sonic

News bot

Maybe the 80/20 ratio you are talking about is the symptom of bike companies making entry level XC bikes and Joe Average buying what he thinks is a bike capable of riding techy single track like Nino Schurter.  Poor Joe gets to the single track and the bike does not want to do what Nino’s bike does, so instead he walks down the trail.  Maybe if Joe bought a entry level short travel trail bike he would be riding down the trail instead of walking.

So, are bike companies catering for a gap in the market or are they creating the 80/20 ratio?

A slacker set of angles on a frame doesn't automatically come with a bag of skillz. That steep head angle is capable of riding techy stuff (Within reason) People need to learn skillz to ride the tech stuff. Joe average is probably going to see his arse on a 70 deg HA and on a 68 deg HA if he is trying to emulate Nino...

What they need is flat pedals, wider bars and a shorter stem. 

​Historically SA has been a predominantly XC/Marathon market (Have a look at the availability of gravity orientated accessories available online and at your LBS although it is starting to change). That is who they are targeting and effectively maintaining that 80/20 ratio.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they will sell and it doesn't matter what you ride if you can't ride a slacker H/A isn't going to matter most people just want a good looking comfortable ride at a good price Titan has that spot on. Yes you can buy a bone shaker with better spec all about what you want.

Been riding a Titan Comp 29er HT for a couple of years now, and mulling over getting a dual suspension. Based on my experience with my current Titan, I am down for this.

For my style of riding, my Titan handles damned well. Done plenty of 60 to 80km rides on it.

Smacked trees, failed air, etc... Bike survives and keeps going.

They have a great business model. Well priced bikes for the average rider.

The type of person who walks into Sportsmanship warehouse and buys bikes for the family at a good price.

When they go to the LBS they get intimidated and tried to up sell to better faster.

So they rather buy off the shelf what they can actually afford in a less intimidating environment.

I think SW sells more bikes than any LBS. Maybe not as expensive but volumes.

And rather that than a Makro/P'nP special.

They talk about saving weight etc, yet they don't quote the actual weight. It seems to be more geared as an XC bike to me, 100mm travel with 70 degree head angle 

They talk about saving weight etc, yet they don't quote the actual weight. It seems to be more geared as an XC bike to me, 100mm travel with 70 degree head angle 

Welcome Sting. (I've been a fan for many years and have also wanted to say that.)

Weights aren't bad at all. Need to double check actual weight, but they only weigh in at at around 500g more than a similar spec Merida. That's not bad at all. 

(PS. You seem to have lost your touch over the last decade or so. It would be great if you could go back to Ten Summoner's / Mercury Falling days...or even better Outlandos d'Amour)