Absa Cape Epic 2017

Acerunner

My point as well. Some visuals of the other cats would be cool, they too are pros and deserve better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technology is improving a few years ago we had nothing only the finish line stream, it is improving every year..it will come..they can however just get more jacked on their twitter feed, so that we can at least follow all the cat action.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just drove past the field all coming into the revised Caledon finish... and a lot looked dead on their bikes. Full respect, my car was registering 40c and hammering out even the reduced 60km+ in that heat is a very tough day in the saddle.

Looked like transport was in full swing. Epic vehicles everywhere, local taxis looked like they'd been drafted in, camper vans and trailers shifting bikes etc down the highway through the long weekend traffic

I was part of that long weekend traffic. If i was not pulling my large Jurgens Penta with a K1 on the roof of my 'Tuna, I would have pulled into Caledon when we passed through. But we did see the riders ride the track on the mountainside, same trails we rode on the Staalwater Day 1 last year, but in reverse.

Its always hot dry and dusty (and windy) in the WC this time of the year .... however its probably conditions that a lot of the internationals are not familiar with.

If the Elite Men took 5+hours yesterday on Stage 1 to do 100 k's, that's quite slow relative to most mtb marathons here. It would mean I would take 10 hours and I generally finish in the lower 1/3 of the field (but always do finish) so its a bit mean to set the cut-off time at 9:30, if I faced the Epic chop I would protest vividly, especially if I had come from afar. Was it just bad planning that they had such a hard-core stage Stage 1 or is it their intention to flush out the unacclimatised / reduce numbers they have to cater for?

Epic has been known to flush out a lot of teams on day 1.

Its always hot dry and dusty (and windy) in the WC this time of the year .... however its probably conditions that a lot of the internationals are not familiar with.

If the Elite Men took 5+hours yesterday on Stage 1 to do 100 k's, that's quite slow relative to most mtb marathons here. It would mean I would take 10 hours and I generally finish in the lower 1/3 of the field (but always do finish) so its a bit mean to set the cut-off time at 9:30, if I faced the Epic chop I would protest vividly, especially if I had come from afar. Was it just bad planning that they had such a hard-core stage Stage 1 or is it their intention to flush out the unacclimatised / reduce numbers they have to cater for?

Winning time yesterday was 4:25. I can only remember 1 stage when I rode when cut off was extended. The rule of thumb then was the winning time x 2. If the published winning time was longer the published time applied.

I hear now that tomorrow will be only 30km. Due to humid conditions today and some riders might not get a full 8hr sleep. Stage 4 won't be a compulsory stage as well. You can give them a time you think you could have done and it will count as your official time

I hear now that tomorrow will be only 30km. Due to humid conditions today and some riders might not get a full 8hr sleep. Stage 4 won't be a compulsory stage as well. You can give them a time you think you could have done and it will count as your official time

What? That sounds odd to me

Yup, I'm sure Stranski and Spitz are thinking exactly that.

Well Stranski at least know now what it might have felt like planting a tackle now and then

Yup, I'm sure Stranski and Spitz are thinking exactly that.

I fell down at local trails before. Epic did not make him fall. The heat is "untamed" the dont call of the indi pac or race across america or south africa because of heat. I can recall one stage heating up to 38deg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk

Anyone know how Jenny went and if the heat meant we got proper pictures ????

He he

They won the stage again[emoji106]