Edited by Andrew Steer

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope... the oke who packed his back didn't do too good either  :whistling:

And his hubville fan club were gutted at his exit (or not)   :ph34r:

some guys just never have your back .....

Just banter to be clear... the old man can unfortunately kick my ass over every distance on any terrain. I look forward to him actually working for a living next year and not just riding his bike  :D

Who is old? Back in full time work since Aug. Riding taking a back seat.

I would like to enter this but I don't see it as a race. Its a journey of discovery about oneself. Can I finish? I don't know but I would like to try. Busy talking myself into it.

Who is old? Back in full time work since Aug. Riding taking a back seat.

I would like to enter this but I don't see it as a race. Its a journey of discovery about oneself. Can I finish? I don't know but I would like to try. Busy talking myself into it.

Just do it I reckon... no ragrets! Must be such an awesome experience  :thumbup:

Just banter to be clear... the old man can unfortunately kick my ass over every distance on any terrain. I look forward to him actually working for a living next year and not just riding his bike  :D

It worries me that you are calling JCZA old.... yet he can kick your f...tass all over the park easily.... 

I suspect you have joined the field wrong again - in the ladies section.... but they will also kick you for 2 minutes only.... after that they will be so far in front you will never see them again...

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

It worries me that you are calling JCZA old.... yet he can kick your f...tass all over the park easily.... 

I suspect you have joined the field wrong again - in the ladies section.... but they will also kick you for 2 minutes only.... after that they will be so far in front you will never see them again...

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

#kickabackmarkerday  :blush:

#kickabackmarkerday  :blush:

In order to #kickafatbackmarker you have to be BEHIND said #fatbackmarker.... and that's never going to happen.... JCZA starts in the #racing groups.... at the #front..... with the #oldbulletsarefast crowd...

In order to #kickafatbackmarker you have to be BEHIND said #fatbackmarker.... and that's never going to happen.... JCZA starts in the #racing groups.... at the #front..... with the #oldbulletsarefast crowd...

You old okes are a sensitive bunch  :D

You are quite correct though, I know not the ways of you race snakes

You old okes are a sensitive bunch  :D

You are quite correct though, I know not the ways of the go-fast die young set

fixed it for you

https://slightlyoffthebeatentrack.wordpress.com/

I don't know Mark Harris's cycling history, but this is his blog and I think a good insight into just getting this done coming from humble cycling beginnings. 

He does of course share Alex's genes though  :blush:

Interesting insight in reading all the rider blogs. One thing that stands out in all of the blogs is not just the fatigue they felt every time they had to climb back onto their bikes and fighting the elements, but also that it's such a HUGE mental game! No matter how fit or strong you think you are on a bike, you need a strong mind to get you through the pain/suffering one pedal stroke at a time, not to mention sleep deprivation. It's the same for everyone, from the back markers all the way to the riders at the front. Your mind keeps screaming at you to STOP. You give up and shout out bugger this $h!t...It's your mind that will get you to that finish line. You need to think real hard before you enter, you will have to prepare yourself for some serious suffering on the bike!

Day 1

Fighting +40 km/h head winds and temperatures of +40 °C.

Brandon Stewart leading Chris van Zyl at around the 70 km mark. They looked absolutely fatigued.

Keven Benkenstein leaving the Karoo Shop at the 96 km mark. At that point he already said that it's the hardest ride he's ever done so far, that on day 1 not even  a 100 km in and almost a 1000 km still to go.