The Munga - The Toughest Race On Earth

nathrix

Mike Woolnough is 56 years old and this is his blog. He is a good writer and likes to write about the events that he does.  There is coverage on last year's Munga.

http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/

And he is such a nice bloke out on the trail . He will not simply pass you but spend some time chatting before he races of .

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last tracker update shows Mike Woolnough within 20-30km  of the leaders . . .

I like this race and it's dynamic and strategy required so much. . .   

Anybody can do the race , not everybody can win it . But if you tell yourself it is to tough then it will be  :ph34r: . The winners put in massive effort and put body and limb on the line to win . For them the race is over in three days , the majority of the field will be spending a lot more time braving the elements etc . That is where my interest lies , the snails that finish :clap: .  

The true grits  ;)

looks like Rafeeq has missed a turn...wasnt he part of the big divertion party last year?

Yeah unfortunately he was, I think he called it quits when he was told he had to backtrack something crazy like 200ks.

The rider I am supporting the most is Braam Roux, he is riding for the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation or Muscle Riders Club, and is one of the main fundraisers for them. http://muscleriders.co.za/

Being mostly MTB'ers, we did our first road race at this year's Carnival race (in Feb) and started from the last bunch. We ended up doing a 103 2-member team TT with him pulling for 30km stretches at 33 km/h. Seriously strong and constantly making jokes while riding.

A lot of his strength he gets from towing modified wheelchairs with muscle dystrophy sufferers (additional 90 kg) over finish lines of all the major races. Nice guy with crazy strength and endurance.

looks like Rafeeq has missed a turn...wasnt he part of the big divertion party last year?

Ag nee, that's not nice, hope he sees his mistake.  I wonder how often do they check there position on their devices?

Ag nee, that's not nice, hope he sees his mistake. I wonder how often do they check there position on their devices?

Same one where SM went wrong, probably just kept going straight, seeing other tracks not realizing he went wrong.

Does anybody have his number? Let's phone him and tell him he is on the wrong track

I was just going to ask if someone can't just phone him.. kinda shouting at the screen over here.

It must take some serious mental strength too keep your motivation up if you have to back track after taking a wrong turn.

Archived