PPA warns cyclists not to use Paarden Island cycle lane after latest attack

News bot

The Pedal Power Association has issued a warning to cyclists to not use the Paarden Island cycle lane after the recent spate of muggings, with the latest mugging taking place earlier today. Capetonian Maon Saxe was apprehended by three men and knocked off his bike. They grabbed his bicycle and phone and ran.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best alternative to get to cape town on your bicycle - the harbour as stated in the article? Are we allowed to cycle through there?

What is the best alternative to get to cape town on your bicycle - the harbour as stated in the article? Are we allowed to cycle through there?

The harbour security will not let you in. We have tried this and been sent away rather viciously.

If the city of cape town closes down the route they had better provide and alternative!

We commute daily, come rain or shine and I for one am reliant on that route to get to work and back. I can fall back on the MyCity bus, but then I loose so much more time in the day and then also have to spend R600.00 additionally a month to get to work and back ... something not really budgeted for or a need to spend money on.

We formed a What'sApp group back in 2012 to co-ordinate a few regular riders to meet and ride through that particular stretch which at that stage was already highlighted as a high crime zone. The group is at 40 members now, with the vast majority of riders joining via word of mouth or from meeting us on the cycle lane.

In the group we have a good few riders who have had attempted muggings....they got lucky.

Personally I have met many other riders who have been mugged on the route, personally assisted a Canadian tourist who was mugged and bleeding. The last time the City really did any thing was when a councilor (can't recall who it was) got mugged on that specific stretch, with his body guard in tow (Now I know what you are thinking, why can't we all have body guards with us on our bikes). I crossed through the broken fence where he noted the muggers had gone with his bag and his passport that he needed back urgently as he was flying out the country in a day or two, found a big bush across the railway line that had numerous bags that have been turned out lying about.....so this was clearly a gathering point.

Outside of this, within the group there have been many appeals to the local authorities RE safety on this section, us reporting broken fences that remained broken for months and allowing access from the N1 across to the rail way lines. There have been some letters of intention, but no real action.

So how can we resolve this. Bear in mind we can't have Metro sitting on this stretch 24/7, there are also other areas in the CT region that are in dire need of safety and security. 

The whole stretch from the N1 bridge till into town has seen a big increase in vagrants living there, with shelters that have been in place for some time now.

The railway also needs to take responsibility for securing the access from the rail way line and into the cycle lane from trespassers.

Does the local cycling community club together to fund a private security company to patrol this section from early morning to late evening?

IF this route is close, I agree the city at least allows free access for cyclists through the harbour until they can resolve the safety issue on this particular section of the lanes.

What was not mentioned in the article above, was that the security confirmed with the rider who was mugged, that in that week another person was also mugged.

With respect to the stabbing on the cycle lane. That was on a Tues/Wed if I recall correctly. That weekend leading to the stabbing, a senior manager from the City of Cape Town was mugged at knife point on that same section where all the muggings have been taking place.

Just a suggestion, why doesn't the PPA lobby to make the place safer, rather than advise people to avoid it?

Rerouting the paths just sounds like a pavers dream tender and doesn't solve the criminal element.

They are making a plea to authorities to do so, in the mean time everyone should avoid area and use other routes.

Doesnt everyone just ride the marine drive then N1? No point going through dodgeville.

That N1 stretch leaves you dealing with fast moving and often reckless drivers.

Lost some skin on that section many years ago when a pedestrian walking on the side of the road with his back to us decided to jump into the middle of the road, and right into me.......... we were going fast!

Nobody would know, law enforcement dont go there...

Metro have on the odd day had a car parked at the end of the lane near the N1 bridge .... but patrols are very rare.

A few years ago there was a group of Metro guys on bicycles on the lane.... they were active and then started vanishing. .... so I asked the one when I met him again and his reply was that their bikes were always in for repairs.......

Then there was a conversation with a Metro cop who rides a motorbike, he was not happy when the route expansion came about. He was doing a ridiculous amount of mileage a day, and was not able to properly patrol the bus routes...then to add insult to injury, the Metro management wanted to know by him why his mileage was so high and were going to investigate ... he was very open that they could go and view he GPS tracker on his bike,