Why would people do this.

Theunissa

Oh and another way is to scratch the rotors.  Lost two rotors like this.  Oh and bending rotors seem to be a lot of fun to them as well.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sorry i should have taken clearer photos. Only see now they not good. The scrathes ar mostly deep penetrated the metal. The magnet clamp was broken in half. I dont work at a office. I deliver a service to people at home. So i park in a few public places during the day. I do understand that you will get scrathes over time. I have only had it for a bit more than a month. I do have a few small ones already. But this looks like it was done with intent. Even a trolley bumping your car by accident doesnt leave such deep scrathes. Im also concerned with the scratch on stancion. Will take it to LBS to check. And this didnt happen somewhere in the bush ir at home. I didn't check it during the day. But last night when i was doing tubeless conversion i noticed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you continue to leave the bike on the back of your vehicle (which it sounds like you are doing) someone will soon sort out the scratching issue for you by stealing it.

Seriously though you are taking a chance if you leave it unattended anywhere.

I'd rather suffer/walk for the remainder of an event than to put my bike on a sweeper vehicle.

I'd would literally have to be declared incapacitated and in the back of an ambulance strapped to the bed before they load my bike on a sweeper vehicle and by then I would be sure that the bike is already scratched to such an extend that the sweeper vehicle can do no more damage :whistling:   

One of my riding partners looks better after his bike than his wife, he was one of the casualties of the big bee attack of 2016 at the hermanus and by the time he was reunited with his bike the thing was thrashed. It looked like they threw it on a back of a bakkie with 50 other bikes, drove through the roughest terrain possible and then gave it back to him.

Just remember that we live in South Africa, where you have no respect for the property of other people and even less for your own.  The cleaner at the office is no longer allowed to come near my table anymore.  She tried to damage my bike with the vacuum cleaner by hitting the bike.  Was in the room next door and heard the noise, investigated and told her that I will take the vacuum cleaner and hit her over the head if I catch her near my bike.

She did it on purpose? Sjo, she obviously doesn't like you very much! 

Even though a mtb will inevitably scratch and chip when riding, it is so flippen unnecessary when something happens to it whilst not riding. We care for our bikes which cost a lot of money, so when someone else damages it on purpose, or even by accident, it makes my blood boil. 

One of my riding partners looks better after his bike than his wife, he was one of the casualties of the big bee attack of 2016 at the hermanus and by the time he was reunited with his bike the thing was thrashed. It looked like they threw it on a back of a bakkie with 50 other bikes, drove through the roughest terrain possible and then gave it back to him.

Well, if they were rushing him to the hospital to save his life (with the bike on the back), then so be it. His life is more important than not scratching a bicycle. But if he went in another vehicle his mates should've looked after his bike. Especially if they're cyclists themselves

If you continue to leave the bike on the back of your vehicle (which it sounds like you are doing) someone will soon sort out the scratching issue for you by stealing it.

Seriously though you are taking a chance if you leave it unattended anywhere.

i generally don't. But had to on Monday due to work pressure. I also have a good lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember that we live in South Africa, where you have no respect for the property of other people and even less for your own.  The cleaner at the office is no longer allowed to come near my table anymore.  She tried to damage my bike with the vacuum cleaner by hitting the bike.  Was in the room next door and heard the noise, investigated and told her that I will take the vacuum cleaner and hit her over the head if I catch her near my bike.

Once caught our office cleaner sprucing up the computers and screens with her manky floor cloth!

Once caught our office cleaner sprucing up the computers and screens with her manky floor cloth!

I walked past the bathroom and our cleaning lady at work was cleaning the basin with the well used toilet brush...

I walked past the bathroom and our cleaning lady at work was cleaning the basin with the well used toilet brush...

She probably also scrubs the gunky coffee mugs with that same brush! :whistling:

Perhaps you might also consider the scratches are from someone trying to steal the bike and failing to get it of your rack.  Maybe they had something in their hands as they grabbed the fork which caused the scratches?

I would never leave a bike unattended on a bike rack... go read the stolen bike thread and see how many bikes have been taken from bike racks!!

Perhaps you might also consider the scratches are from someone trying to steal the bike and failing to get it of your rack.  Maybe they had something in their hands as they grabbed the fork which caused the scratches?

I would never leave a bike unattended on a bike rack... go read the stolen bike thread and see how many bikes have been taken from bike racks!!

My first thought too