The thing is that the technology to create queuing for web sessions has been out there for years. I sold it 5 years ago. Just like a call centre it would tell you the servers are busy but can we call you back or you will be online in x minutes...

Results is a predictable experience and results in happy customers. Plus a much larger amount of converted carts.

BTW - have any of you ever seen the application flow for a website transaction - most of what was timing out was the third party payment gateways which are external services to the websites, so nothing to so with the provider. THis is a seriously complex piece of software to even get one transaction right, never mind thousands. 

But this isnt the ambit of the hosting provider - its application layer load balancing, it costs money and everyone doesn't have the traffic to justify it.

So every year end we have the same cockup when everyone tries to go online and enter the Argus, Black Friday, tickets for the concerts etc.

THis is a really simple problem to solve and if the hosting providers had to stop trying to sell basic services and actually tried to add some value they would also see thta they could scoop a very large percentage of the front end hosting.

Rant off.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

under the za registry their registrar is named as cloud2m:

1a. domain : cwcycles.co.za

1b. action :

1c. Registrar : Cloud2M

2a. registrant : Chris Willemse Cycles Online

2b. registrantpostaladdress: Cnr of Bill Bezuidenhout and Sportica Str, Gihon Building, Bellville,-, , , --

2c. registrantstreetaddress:

2d. amount :

2e. paymenttype :

2f. billingaccount :

2g. billingemail :

2i. invoiceaddress :

2j. registrantphone : +27.219147528

2k. registrantfax : +27.219147548

2l. registrantemail : info@cwcycles.co.za

if you then go do a bit of digging on their host address "ns1.host-global.net" you will see its the host of cloud2m.

RW is more a marketing company then a host.

If you dig deeper you will see the IP falls under hetzner in joburg:

http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/197.189.240.42

Okay, I concede. Then Cloud2M need to look at their online presence and perhaps provide more hosting space in the busy seasons. 

I work in the FMCG ERP sphere, and one of our clients, a BIG retailer in the GP area, was complaining to us that their EFT pinpad's were down on BF. We found this was due to the banks!!! not being able to handle the insane amount of traffic on the day...go figure.

Perhaps we should have some faith in CWC after all on a day such as this.

I broke my elbow more than a month ago in a sensational , spectacular crash and since have not been on the bike. The closest I get to cycling is the Bikehub. So threads like these are very important to my cycling well being so please keep this going. Even if you make stuff up.

OP - Question: What did you say? Am I missing something?

Chris Jnr - that was a naughty Facebook Response.

Please wake the online coach thread, Trail & Tar Tokai - MTB gate threads,

I'm running thin on quality reading material

I broke my elbow more than a month ago in a sensational , spectacular crash and since have not been on the bike. The closest I get to cycling is the Bikehub. So threads like these are very important to my cycling well being so please keep this going. Even if you make stuff up.

OP - Question: What did you say? Am I missing something?

Chris Jnr - that was a naughty Facebook Response.

Please wake the online coach thread, Trail & Tar Tokai - MTB gate threads,

I'm running thin on quality reading material

Give the man doping thread a look. Some good stuff there

The service at CWC online is pathetic. 

On the day before the black Friday sale, they had certain products advertised on their Facebook page. After noticing that these products were not on the site, I sent the page a message asking them if the website would be updated. I did not receive a response, so I sent another message. Again no response. I followed it up with another message and only got a response the following day. I was told to contact Chris Jnr. When I called Chris, he was extremely rude and arrogant. This could be judged from the tone of his voice and his choice of words. Furthermore, he told me that those deals advertised on the Facebook Page were only for the store. If this was the case, it should have said so. Posting products on a Facebook page which says "Chris Willemse Cycles Online" would obviously mean that those products are available "Online". After commenting on one of their posts expressing my dissatisfaction with their service, I was sent a message from Chris saying that I should shop somewhere else. I have attached a screenshot of this message below. This kind of service and attitude stinks. 

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

No matter who/what you are or did, a statement like you can shop somewhere else if you not happy , does not belong in your vocabulary, especially as a retailer depending on that very sale/s to put bread on your table.

A simple unfortunately we understand your frustration but we cant help you this time round as we are not geared for it ,but will definitely work on it and make sure we meet your every expectation next time round, would have done.

The hubbers actually protecting and encouraging this type of behavior is beyond me...

cool story.

IF CWC wants to brand themselves as an online store then they need to compare themselves to Takealot and Amazon and Ebay etc

The fact is when you play in the online space then there are no boundaries or concept of local is lekker

so either compete online or forgo an online store

simple internet shopping theory of competion

Im lus for koeksisters.

With all the saffa' moving out that side I'm shocked there isn't n' Tannie making a killing from n' Tuisnywerheid.

There are people here comparing a marketing campaign to web hosting. Like seriously?

Cloud2m seems to be the host while RW is the designer.

Let's assume that I was wrong in my approach. There are still 2 things CWC should work on:

1. Never ever tell a customer to go shop somewhere else

2. Don't use reseller or shared website hosting if you market your site to be the best online cycle shop in SA. Cloud2m is basically a reseller using Hetzner servers. How many other websites are using the same resources as CWC? They should get their own server if they wish to do a big sale,so that they would be able to handle the traffic.

Had one dealing with said dealer, wanted a quote on tri group set. Salesman was not helpful at all, in fact it sounded like I was wasting his time. Cut a long story short, he couldn't help me with a price on one part and said he would call me back. Never did and I never bothered to follow up. Business must be good in the part of the world. Moral of the story, always stick to your LBS even if they are a tad more expensive.

My advice to SA retailers online or otherwise is:

If you want to enjoy the benefits of running a Black Friday campaign, ensure that your infrastructure, be it IT, Stock, Suppliers and Staff are ready.

If the increased sales volumes does create a point of failure somewhere in your business, you need to anticipate frustrated customers and show extra patience during the campaign, after all it's not the clients fault that something failed.

Will there be unreasonable clients, yes, just like every other day. Deal with them appropriately don't give them more ammo.

Edited by Patchelicious