Anti-Doping Rule Violation: Tyronne White

News bot

A lot of peeps on this thread has never been to the race doc? Or even treated by ems at an event.

If you think that the doctor at a race event has been placed there by CSA, then you would be wrong.

As V12 says, doctor treats patients, who happen to be cycling. Unless you are a cycling team doctor, I see no need for the doc to have to vet the medication being administered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RocknRolla

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Says he had food poisoning and was severely dehydrated but managed to finish the stage?

I had food poisoning once and didn't have the energy to walk to the Hospital desk.I also dehydrated once in a race and was taken to hospital by ambulance.How on earth did he then finish the stage.

I was dehydrated to the point of passing out, falling over and seeing things in the dunes, on the DD, dragged myself to the finish 60km later.

Its called rule5

A lot of peeps on this thread has never been to the race doc? Or even treated by ems at an event.

If you think that the doctor at a race event has been placed there by CSA, then you would be wrong.

As V12 says, doctor treats patients, who happen to be cycling. Unless you are a cycling team doctor, I see no need for the doc to have to vet the medication being administered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He doesn't NEED too.

The discussion is, if they did, would it help?

Always going to be a difficult call to make - on some races like the Cape Epic this is effectively in place - they just hospitalise the patient overnight... it would be a miracle to get yourself out on time for the start the next day unless you released yourself AMA.

I suspect they also have some more control during the CE but it will be a difficult call - doctors are not policemen and you might for instance let a patient go back to their accomodation overnight for instance with an instruction to return in the am for further assessment... what happens if they don't come back and carry on? I am pretty sure it can be done but there would have to be clear clinical criteria set and rules in place - not going to be easy at all.

Thanks Doc. Really interesting and as a side note gives me an indication what could have happened with Tyrone and the decision-making process that occured.

I really think that getting those rules re in competition medical care need to be looked at properly and a holistic solution found to help lessen and/or prevent such incidences from occuring and perhaps a modified version of the CE is doing along with Patchelious' colour code medicines box idea could help. Ultimately I fully agree that any race doctors primary concern should be the health of the athlete who is competing but as you've pointed out the athlete also needs to come to the party and properly follow the medical advice given to him/her.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Says he had food poisoning and was severely dehydrated but managed to finish the stage?

I had food poisoning once and didn't have the energy to walk to the Hospital desk.I also dehydrated once in a race and was taken to hospital by ambulance.How on earth did he then finish the stage.

Happened to me Argus 2008, bad fish the night before, leaking both ends and unable to hold anything down I finished it. 

Oh absolutely.

However, I cannot morally put a weed smoker in the same "cheaters" box as a guy who gets caught for EPO.

Both will serve the same sanction, but I promise you the guy didn't rook boom to get a competitive advantage over the guy he beat :D

Had to check, thought it was legal

9c1f677f0a2cba4da3da0f2e303806f5.jpg

Oh absolutely.

However, I cannot morally put a weed smoker in the same "cheaters" box as a guy who gets caught for EPO.

Both will serve the same sanction, but I promise you the guy didn't rook boom to get a competitive advantage over the guy he beat :D

After all, as Robin Williams later joked, "the only way it's a performance-enhancing drug is if there's a big f---ing Hershey bar at the end of the run," right?

I was dehydrated to the point of passing out, falling over and seeing things in the dunes, on the DD, dragged myself to the finish 60km later.

Its called rule5

but did you get onto the podium?

its one thing finishing after being dehydrated. Its another actually beating everyone else after being so severely dehydrated that you need two different steroids to get you going again.

Its also quite interesting that a side effect of steroid use is dehydration...

but did you get onto the podium?

its one thing finishing after being dehydrated. Its another actually beating everyone else after being so severely dehydrated that you need two different steroids to get you going again.

Its also quite interesting that a side effect of steroid use is dehydration...

My comment wasn't about Tyronne or in defence of his statement, it was in response to somebody who said that they couldn't finish a stage because they were dehydrated.

My comment wasn't about Tyronne or in defence of his statement, it was in response to somebody who said that they couldn't finish a stage because they were dehydrated.

sure - i'm just pointing out the obvious here.

if you're so dehydrated you need a race doc, how the hell do you get onto the podium?

This I think is the main point. A doctor should always have the person's best health issues at heart, and should record it as such. He should also inform the client, especially in a race circumstance whether it is on the banned list or not.

There is a grey area where we forget that pro athletes are humans who also do have valid medical conditions caused by things outside their control. If it was me in a terrible state, I would rather be treated for dehydration than suffer. But I am not a pro athlete who pulls himself off his deathbed to race the next day, while doped, in an attempt to deprive someone else of winnings/earnings.

And that to me is where the athlete's responsibility fails. But I also do not pretend to know the pressure by sponsirs/teams/etc to continue.

(I am not talking about true dopers - only athletes caught on valid medical situations)

I don't think it's a case that the doctor *must* tell the athlete what he is receiving is on the banned list or not as it's not his/her primary concern. The wellbeing of the athlete is. That said the athlete should definitely ask about what he has been given and look it up for himself/herself and most importantly follow the doctor's orders. If it's not to race then he/she should pull out but as V12man has pointed out not everyone will.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

sure - i'm just pointing out the obvious here.

if you're so dehydrated you need a race doc, how the hell do you get onto the podium?

ps: Has he answered your and Lemmers question on Facebook yet?

True to this! I had food poisoning once from a BP express pie (back in my student days). Never felt so k@k in my life (think at 1 stage I prayed to die...)

Also second this. Chowed some game meat not too long ago that was obviously a bit off and a few hours later was being rushed to hospital. Thought I was dying. The poison acted so fast it didn't even make it to my intestine, just stomach. So was just throwing up and luckily no jippo guts. Was put on a drip for a few hours and had a bag full of meds to take for the following days. I seriously didn't have to worry about any of it being banned because I was so stuffed and weak I could hardly walk for a few days. Only 2 days later was I able to spend a few hours on the PlayStation[emoji1]

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk