Anti-Doping Rule Violation: Tyronne White

News bot

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But WHY the hell are medics stocking Banned substances at a race ???

Utter BS

The answer is in the first paragraph of V12's post that you quoted.

Even so, there are questions. Once the medic has put a banned substance into your mouth or veins you should be pulled from the race. And surely there must be procedures in place to deal with this.

" Boet I'm gonna give you this, but then I have to call that dik oke with the clipboard and the card around his neck. OK?"

But WHY the hell are medics stocking Banned substances at a race ???

Utter BS

They are NOT banned for use to treat patients - sporting authorities believe they give athletes an unfair advantage when used - so the SPORTS rules affect what a patient/athlete is allowed to take AND STILL compete.

Medical best practice allows their use - in fact, often recommends it.

All the athlete has to do is not compete and they can take anything.

There is a process that allows exemptions for certain conditions and still allows competition - called a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) - and if an athlete is prescribed something on the restricted list, then the Athlete is required to get the TUE application completed and submitted appropriately (not the doctors responsibility) - and in fact each time an athlete is prescribed something on the list, then they are best advised to make sure the TUE request is correctly completed and submitted - because some drugs show up in testing long after the fact that they were taken - so that if they are tested, then there is a paper trail for the request - even if it is denied, then they will be advised how long they cannot compete for after taking the drug or the circumstances that will allow them readmission to competition.

As to why a medic keeps a supply of medicine that includes things on the WADA list - that's because they are in general the best to treat some things with... do you want to be treated well or not at all?

They are NOT banned for use to treat patients - sporting authorities believe they give athletes an unfair advantage when used - so the SPORTS rules affect what a patient/athlete is allowed to take AND STILL compete.

Medical best practice allows their use - in fact, often recommends it.

All the athlete has to do is not compete and they can take anything.

There is a process that allows exemptions for certain conditions and still allows competition - called a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) - and if an athlete is prescribed something on the restricted list, then the Athlete is required to get the TUE application completed and submitted appropriately (not the doctors responsibility) - and in fact each time an athlete is prescribed something on the list, then they are best advised to make sure the TUE request is correctly completed and submitted - because some drugs show up in testing long after the fact that they were taken - so that if they are tested, then there is a paper trail for the request - even if it is denied, then they will be advised how long they cannot compete for after taking the drug or the circumstances that will allow them readmission to competition.

As to why a medic keeps a supply of medicine that includes things on the WADA list - that's because they are in general the best to treat some things with... do you want to be treated well or not at all?

Sure. But steroids cause dehydration, not help with it.

I'm not commenting here specifically relating to Ty, but for all the ''accidental ingestions'' out there.

I don't get it. I have not been a pro athlete, but I am a woman that has been pregnant three times.

It goes like this, basically, you have your mutivitamin and you are allowed panado. Any other ailment requires you to ''suck it up sussie'' and just deal with it or read pages and pages of pharmacutical phamlets and check websites to find out if other meds are ok.

So if you are a pro, its the same.

With all the trouble these okes are having managing their meds, maybe its a good thing the ladies have the responsibility of having babies :P

[emoji122] [emoji122]

OK... Devil's advocate time... Average Joe goes to the race medic and gets some good stuff... and they test averge Joe back marker.. Like they did that back marker at the epic one year (granted he was tested positive for steroids)... And you are bust and forced to pay a fine etc... Bit of a bugger won't your say

Next question... Lets say you need some banned substance.. Can your take it and choose not too race anymore for that race... Or could they find traces of it next event

Edited by Stretch

Sure. But steroids cause dehydration, not help with it.

Too generic a statement - it's not as simple as that - I don't know why Ty was prescribed what he was allegedly prescribed - must have been more to it than just simple dehydration.

The normal race doc at J2C is pretty sharp I think - having had some discussions with him a couple of years ago when we raced J2C - can't remember his name unfortunately - and there is no guarantee who it was at all - one hopes for Ty's sake there is adequate documentation of exactly what was given to him and why - this surely would have been presented at his hearing I suppose - there is in any case the potential for an appeal still I understand - have to wait and see what comes out of that - but there are 2 basics to me that are important:

1 - The ATHLETE is (a) responsible for what goes in his body - both checking if it is on the restricted list and if necessary (b) following the TUE process

2 - From my admittedly somewhat limited knowledge of what allegedly happened (only the public announcement basically) neither of those things seemed to have happened (this assumes it happened the way the announcement says it did) and the drugs were legitimately prescribed - if you get sanctioned for not doing what the rules tell you to do, then it's pretty much your own fault and you have to just suck it up and learn from the experience

Trying to shift accountability to the medic for not doing what the athlete is supposed to manage is offside in my view - but if they really feel that it is the medics responsibility then they should file a complaint with HPCSA and get it reviewed properly - I will put a small donation to the red cross childrens hospital on the line that says this won't happen - the rule is clear.... they can be read here:

http://www.drugfreesport.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/SAIDS-Anti-Doping-Rules-2015.pdf

Read article 2 - cut and past of a section

It is each
Athlete’s
personal duty to ensure that no
Prohibited Substance
enters his or her body.
Athletes
are
responsible for any
Prohibited Substance
or its
Metabolites
or
Markers
found to be
present in their
Samples
. Accordingly, it is not
necessary that intent,
Fault
, negligence or knowing
Use
on the
Athlete’s
part be demonstrated in order to establish an anti
-
doping
rule violation under Article 2.1.

Next question... Lets say you need some banned substance.. Can your take it and choose not too race anymore for that race... Or could they find traces of it next event

Yes you can take it - just fill in the TUE and see whether this is accepted or not - best to be open and honest about what you take - you are allowed to take medication for diagnosed conditions - you are NOT allowed to take them without cause... it may well be that the TUW will be denied and your race will be halted - but it's unlikely to result in a ban - fail to follow the TUE process guarantees a ban if you get tested.

Ha!

I wonder how many participants can honestly put up their hand if someone asked:

"Who has never taking anything illegal to help them finish..."

No if's and buts....no excuses about being a fun competitor.... it's a hands up or hands down question?

My hand is up.

My hand is up.

+1

Hut I don't think we 'normal' riders always get it. For me there is no debate-I won't ever touch anything that might even be slightly suspicious, but when you are at the top ranks, it might be more difficult to do the right thing...

So, when someone uses a banned substance, it just means that to them winning is more important than integrity. Or just greed as they have to make a living from winning IMHO

Ha!

"I had no intention of cheating"

But you still continued and finished - Note I'm not picking on you, just using your post

This is a situation thousands of participants have been through in any of the many endurance events that take place every year....

Funny how it only matters if an athlete at the pointy end of the results makes this decision (remember the golden rule: it's the athletes responsibility).

Popular opinion on athletes getting caught in these kind of circumstances is that if you are sick enough to need medication then you should not be taking part or should bale out...

I wonder how many participants can honestly put up their hand if someone asked:

"Who has never taking anything illegal to help them finish..."

No if's and buts....no excuses about being a fun competitor.... it's a hands up or hands down question?

I can sleep at night,

Ematrol, is definitely not on the banned list, in SA or on the WADA list.

Valid point as I know of individuals who would use IVs to pump them up on multi day events to help recover faster. This really p@$$ed me off as everyone else has to focus on eating properly, getting to bed, and staying off the grog.

Same rules apply to everyone

My hand is up.

Lekker, I was getting worried... 2 days and 6 pages and no hands up.

Unfortunately I can't... took a caffeine (bioplus) overdose once... just to see what would happen and think it was when caffeine was on the no go list... ☺️

C'mon ????????????

Let's not shift the blame and responsibility to the race doc'

Vat jou pak soos 'n man ☝????

Agreed.

But for the sake of constructive debate.

IF Ty went to the race tent on the morning of the last day and asked for help, and the Doc said to him: "Here have this pill X" and he checks Pill X on the WADA list, and it's all good, BUT the Doc makes a mistake and gives him Pill Y, BY ACCIDENT, what then?

If the Doc said to me here, "what I'm giving you is Valiods" but he BY MISTAKE gives me something else, I as a rider would have no reason to check the medication. The expert said its X!!

I am one of the most vocal HubKnobs when it comes to doping, but, what I'm basically saying is that, if it comes out that the Doc did give Ty the wrong meds(he actually made a mistake in the heat of the moment) would we believe it?

Edit: Giving a rider "X" is only good if it's a New Years party ;)

Edited by Patchelicious

I received this from someone who obviously wants to stay anonymous

Hi, I can't comment on Ty's post for reasons that would be unprofessional but I am in the medical field specifically the pre hospital field. The two corticosteroids which we carry are hydrocortisone and methylprednisolene. We do not carry dexamethasone as there is no need for it in emergency situations. Also, if he was dehydrated and nauseous, he would have been given a Ringers Lactate IV fluid bag which only contains electrolytes and he may have been given either Stemetil or Maxalon for the nausea. None of those contain dexamethasone. One must also remember that those "pros" have a no needle policy. And the onus is on the athlete to monitor what is administered.