Anti-Doping Rule Violation: Tyronne White

News bot

I agree that at the end of the day it is the athlete's responsibility but......................

When you are dr at a sanctioned event and you treat the athletes you always have the athlete's best interest at heart (you took an oath anyway). Sometimes (I would think most times in serious conditions) these treatments probably contain some sort of a banned substance.

My point is that surely the dr at these race must be clued up on what is banned or not and inform the athlete of the best treatment and that it contains a banned substance. Then it is the athletes responsibility if he wants it or not (and sign for it).

This just makes sense to me

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting point V12man.

So here's a question I've had running through my head: in this instance would it not have been best if the medic/race doctor had the authority to pull a racer out of the race regardless of the level of he is racing at? Or is that going tad overboard with the race doctor's responsibilities?

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

This I think is the main point. A doctor should always have the person's best health issues at heart, and should record it as such. He should also inform the client, especially in a race circumstance whether it is on the banned list or not.

There is a grey area where we forget that pro athletes are humans who also do have valid medical conditions caused by things outside their control. If it was me in a terrible state, I would rather be treated for dehydration than suffer. But I am not a pro athlete who pulls himself off his deathbed to race the next day, while doped, in an attempt to deprive someone else of winnings/earnings.

And that to me is where the athlete's responsibility fails. But I also do not pretend to know the pressure by sponsirs/teams/etc to continue.

(I am not talking about true dopers - only athletes caught on valid medical situations)

(I am not talking about true dopers - only athletes caught on valid medical situations)

Made me smile - classification of dopers. I thought it was simple, you're sick you can't race. 

This I think is the main point. A doctor should always have the person's best health issues at heart, and should record it as such. He should also inform the client, especially in a race circumstance whether it is on the banned list or not.

*snip

I agree with this. Its far too easy to simply say that the the doctor cannot be questioned as he must have his patient interest at heart. Agreed he should, but like V12 also said, they are not policemen and cannot force patients to take meds.

Therefore at minimum I think the doctor has a obligation to advise his patients about the risks of taking meds, be this health risk or other. 

"Here take med option X, it will be the best for you, but if you take it you cannot continue to ride as its on the prohibited list. Or you could rather take med option Y, which will not be as effective as option X, but it is approved."

We have spoken about how easy it is to use the SAIDS medication check, both race docs and athletes could use it. Hell, this could be done before the race and the Doc could pack 3 tupperware of meds a Green/Orange/Red one ;)

This is of course based on the assumption that the events transpired as Tyronne said it did.

Most top-level pro cycling teams will have a doctor that is very familiar with drugs that are likely to receive a TUE, and work with the UCI and/or WADA in obtaining a short-term TUE for an emergency.

Most GPs are not aware.  The process isn't easy for a normal GP or a normal guy in the street.  If "race medic" means a ER24 or other paramedic, then they might not know.

However, they should know the drugs prescribed, and should inform the patient of the drugs provided.  At the very least to check for allergies.

Made me smile - classification of dopers. I thought it was simple, you're sick you can't race. 

If you want to put people who explicitly take EPO and Blood Transfusions to make themselves fasters into the same box as a guy who gets caught smoking pot at a race, I think a point or two is being missed.

Most top-level pro cycling teams will have a doctor that is very familiar with drugs that are likely to receive a TUE, and work with the UCI and/or WADA in obtaining a short-term TUE for an emergency.

Most GPs are not aware.  The process isn't easy for a normal GP or a normal guy in the street.  If "race medic" means a ER24 or other paramedic, then they might not know.

However, they should know the drugs prescribed, and should inform the patient of the drugs provided.  At the very least to check for allergies.

Yes it is:

https://www.drugfreesport.org.za/online-medication-check/

If you want to put people who explicitly take EPO and Blood Transfusions to make themselves fasters into the same box as a guy who gets caught smoking pot at a race, I think a point or two is being missed.

Tired of sad stories and lame excuses. If its on the list and your sample is positive collect your punishment. 

235bf045bda1c103c150fadc2e9f6f0c.png

Says he had food poisoning and was severely dehydrated but managed to finish the stage?

I had food poisoning once and didn't have the energy to walk to the Hospital desk.I also dehydrated once in a race and was taken to hospital by ambulance.How on earth did he then finish the stage.

Says he had food poisoning and was severely dehydrated but managed to finish the stage?

I had food poisoning once and didn't have the energy to walk to the Hospital desk.I also dehydrated once in a race and was taken to hospital by ambulance.How on earth did he then finish the stage.

True to this! I had food poisoning once from a BP express pie (back in my student days). Never felt so k@k in my life (think at 1 stage I prayed to die...)

Interesting point V12man.

So here's a question I've had running through my head: in this instance would it not have been best if the medic/race doctor had the authority to pull a racer out of the race regardless of the level of he is racing at? Or is that going tad overboard with the race doctor's responsibilities?

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Always going to be a difficult call to make - on some races like the Cape Epic this is effectively in place - they just hospitalise the patient overnight... it would be a miracle to get yourself out on time for the start the next day unless you released yourself AMA.

I suspect they also have some more control during the CE but it will be a difficult call - doctors are not policemen and you might for instance let a patient go back to their accomodation overnight for instance with an instruction to return in the am for further assessment... what happens if they don't come back and carry on? I am pretty sure it can be done but there would have to be clear clinical criteria set and rules in place - not going to be easy at all.

I agree that at the end of the day it is the athlete's responsibility but......................

When you are dr at a sanctioned event and you treat the athletes you always have the athlete's best interest at heart (you took an oath anyway). Sometimes (I would think most times in serious conditions) these treatments probably contain some sort of a banned substance.

My point is that surely the dr at these race must be clued up on what is banned or not and inform the athlete of the best treatment and that it contains a banned substance. Then it is the athletes responsibility if he wants it or not (and sign for it).

This just makes sense to me

Like I said in a previous comment - the anti doping rules are sports rules... not medical rules - the doc is not a sports referee and should not be forced into being one because then they might act contrary to the patients best medical interests by for eg not prescribing the best drugs for the condition but rather one that is within the rules- what would happen if the patient died as a result of using the less effective medication that is within the rules? Who takes the fall for that?

See - not so easy to simply put the onus on the medic - Far better for the medic to be totally independent and only concern themselves with the patients well being.

Like I said in a previous comment - the anti doping rules are sports rules... not medical rules - the doc is not a sports referee and should not be forced into being one because then they might act contrary to the patients best medical interests by for eg not prescribing the best drugs for the condition but rather one that is within the rules- what would happen if the patient died as a result of using the less effective medication that is within the rules? Who takes the fall for that?

See - not so easy to simply put the onus on the medic - Far better for the medic to be totally independent and only concern themselves with the patients well being.

But like you have said before, the doctor is not a policeman, and cannot force the patient to take meds.

Say you prescribe me medication, I then go do the SAIDS check and see its on the prohibited list, so I don't take it because I don't want to be called a doper on the Hub, but its 2 hours to do in a 8 day race, so I decide to carry on, and die.... well whoops.

If I was a given a second option, that wouldn't result in me being flamed on the hub, I would have taken it and maybe not died.

Its not about putting the onus on the medic, merely a suggestion that in competition alternatives could be suggested.

Else, put the onus on the athlete like it is now, and let them sit there with their phone checking each prescribed medication until one that is not prohibited gets suggested.... same result.

Tired of sad stories and lame excuses. If its on the list and your sample is positive collect your punishment. 

Oh absolutely.

However, I cannot morally put a weed smoker in the same "cheaters" box as a guy who gets caught for EPO.

Both will serve the same sanction, but I promise you the guy didn't rook boom to get a competitive advantage over the guy he beat :D