Anti-Doping Rule Violation: Tyronne White

News bot

lots of tests too little testers - clown

Have to agree here, I know one of the testers who do these tests, and it is a very time consuming and specialized work, it takes a lot of time.

Also, recently new methods have been developed to spot drugs, and already a few 'clean' samples have been proved to indeed have drugs in it.

There is also only one testing facility for the whole of Africa, and for all sports, so it's going to take a very long time, but not because the people are clowns

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I pretty clearly stated, ultimate responsibilty stops with the athlete a page earlier.

True - you did- mostly my point is about anti doping being specifically NOT the medics concern at all.

The medics concern must be ONLY the well being of the patient - this clearly has to be ethically applied - and in the case of a team doctor/team medical staff, very carefully too - but in the case of race emergency medical staff - anti doping concerns should be the least of their problems - to be blunt they should ignore anti doping regs completely to provide the best possible medical care to the patient.

True . . . very many uses. I am not arguing with you.

But as an anti-emetic ? In a first aid setting at a race.

Surely metoclopramide, cyclizine, promethazine, ondansetron is preferred anti-emetics available on the market in this context?

I am not going to second guess why what drugs were chosen when and by whom for what purpose... It would be of academic and legal interest only - pretty sure that will be addressed in an appeal - doesn't take responsibility away from the athlete however.

Well he still gets full support from his bike sponsor. Maybe they know something we dont.

Wouldn't be the first bike sponsor to support their athletes - see the support David George and then Kevin Evans got from Scott... until the lies were discovered...

The above does not imply anything about Ty's issues - it's just a reminder...

Here's a fresh spin;

I inadvertently took a banned substance

Given to me by a mecic who had my best interests at heart

Very sorry for bringing a sport already tarnished, into disrepute

Will take whatever sanctions is served to me

I had no intention of cheating

The end.......

What happened to Ematrol? Got me to the end of a Dusi.....mind you the closest I came to a podium was parking a tiger on it!

Here's a fresh spin;

I inadvertently took a banned substance

Given to me by a mecic who had my best interests at heart

Very sorry for bringing a sport already tarnished, into disrepute

Will take whatever sanctions is served to me

I had no intention of cheating

The end.......

What happened to Ematrol? Got me to the end of a Dusi.....mind you the closest I came to a podium was parking a tiger on it!

Ha!

"I had no intention of cheating"

But you still continued and finished - Note I'm not picking on you, just using your post

This is a situation thousands of participants have been through in any of the many endurance events that take place every year....

Funny how it only matters if an athlete at the pointy end of the results makes this decision (remember the golden rule: it's the athletes responsibility).

Popular opinion on athletes getting caught in these kind of circumstances is that if you are sick enough to need medication then you should not be taking part or should bale out...

I wonder how many participants can honestly put up their hand if someone asked:

"Who has never taking anything illegal to help them finish..."

No if's and buts....no excuses about being a fun competitor.... it's a hands up or hands down question?

Should be easy enough to prove, I'm sure the medical set up for the race has records of who they treated, what their condition was and what they dispensed. The records will show if he was treated as claimed. Like the medic's priority is to treat him, if I'm suffering from nausea and dehydration, the last thing on my mind would be to sit down and analyze what was issued to me.

Does not absolve him, he is a professional athlete but unless it can be proven that he specifically requested the medication then there could be some leeway. 

The drugs administered by the race Dr was one of the points of contention during the hearing. Either there were no proof or it wasnt bought.

And surely, if true, this Dr must be barred from ever practising at any sport event again? Rule nr 1, know what is on the Wada list?

The drugs administered by the race Dr was one of the points of contention during the hearing. Either there were no proof or it wasnt bought.

Its not about that, its not a valid excuse point. Even if administered by race doc it doesn't clear him under regulations. Several cases in the past at best used as a mitigating circumstance leading to a shorter ban. Or a very lengthy Proces.

One off the yates brothers still got banned. Bjorn leukemans took years to get cleared even if when the doc admitted error and got fired http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13337/Leukemans-cleared-by-Flemish-body-five-years-after-positive-test.aspx He had long served (some) of the ban before he got cleared

Edited by The Crazy German

As the participating athlete - you are responsible for what you take - no matter who presents it to you - be it a medic under a tree, a waiter at the juice bar or a friend in the parking lot - you consume it, so it's your responsibility.

I do however think there should be a list of allowed medicines for each common race related symptom, surely dehydration, nausea, cramps etc are to be expected. These should be treatable, without preventing the athlete from continuing. the race organizers can, in consultation with doctors, inform the medical teams of the required meds to be administered well in advance.. The medics/doctors are well trained and know their meds - that's what they do - so they should be able to treat "normal" race symptoms using prescribed meds vs stock medical kit meds without compromising their quality and level of care.

If, for what ever reason, you need some additional meds, the doctor should be able to stop you from continuing for medical reasons. Again - they are the medical staff - they know what can and cannot be done safely - medically.

Think of F1, rugby etc where the doctor CAN make the call to refuse the athlete to continue. 

The responsibility ends with the athlete, and so it should - but to expect every athlete to be a medical doctor whilst riding is not helping.

True - you did- mostly my point is about anti doping being specifically NOT the medics concern at all.

The medics concern must be ONLY the well being of the patient - this clearly has to be ethically applied - and in the case of a team doctor/team medical staff, very carefully too - but in the case of race emergency medical staff - anti doping concerns should be the least of their problems - to be blunt they should ignore anti doping regs completely to provide the best possible medical care to the patient.

Interesting point V12man.

So here's a question I've had running through my head: in this instance would it not have been best if the medic/race doctor had the authority to pull a racer out of the race regardless of the level of he is racing at? Or is that going tad overboard with the race doctor's responsibilities?

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk