Why Do I See So Many Cyclist Without Helmets?

Andrew_Smith

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why are you bothered with other people's do's and dont's!? let them be. it has absolutely nothing to do with you (unless they are a direct threat to you or your family).

there will always be idiots out there.

teach your own to do the right and be the example you want to see.

Because we have a social responsibilty. That's how society functions.

It's a tempting position to take but on the other hand if we could all hold one another accountable for the small things my belief is that our behaviour improves.

Any group enforces norms of behaviour and so if we see someone breaking these norms I think there is in some way a responsibility to the collective to gently but firmly say something about it. 

We live in a country, perhaps we might even say a period in global history, where what is "right" and "good" and "true" can no longer be taken as read. Without starting a political discussion, our leadership increasingly defends morally indefensible positions and not just locally but internationally this is the case. This filters through to the communities we live in and so we see small tings happening. It starts not to matter if I go though the traffic light on the red but before the cars on the other end of the intersection have pulled off. It's not a big deal if I roll through the intersection until I am completely blocking the pedestrian lane.

Without being too "twee" about it I think we have a responsibility to our communities to let people know when their behaviour breaks the social contract. And similarly to support pro-social behaviour - behaviour that supports the common good. 

If I don't wear a helmet when I'm riding, or I ride on the M5 or I disobey the traffic laws I am in a small way damaging the social fabric, the connection between us all that says we can rely on the other person to behave in a reasonable and positive way. If I turn a blind eye to these behaviours I imply support for them.

2c worth.

so next time any of you see a robbery taking place you be sure to pop over and give them a condescending talking to about how adversely their behavior is affecting our society :whistling:

Edited by bikebloke

so next time any of you see a robbery taking place you be sure to pop over and give them a condescending talking to about how adversely their behavior is affecting our society :whistling:

Conversely, the next time you see me robbing a poor old man, please leave me alone, it has nothing to do with you! Unless he is a direct relative of course.

I find it's mostly commuters, but I have come across one on the spruit with just a bandanna [emoji15], I wanted to have a chat to him but he sped off.

I have decided to keep my old unused helmets in the [emoji594] and give them out to commuters who don't use or can afford them.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conversely, the next time you see me robbing a poor old man, please leave me alone, it has nothing to do with you! Unless he is a direct relative of course.

I had no idea you robbed old men patch

is it lucrative ...maybe worth getting into maybe ^_^ 

and no worries mate I don't get involved in other people whatevers

Edited by bikebloke

Well that would hardly help the situation.

I had no idea you robbed old men patch

is it lucrative ...maybe worth getting into maybe ^_^

and no worries mate I don't get involved in other people whatevers

Well knowing that I must be left alone, I might just explore more criminal activities.

Well that would hardly help the situation.

quote  "I think we have a responsibility to our communities to let people know when their behaviour breaks the social contract" you said it not me or is it just easier to moan about fellow cyclists on the M5

you cant be batman and selective about which villians you feel like taking on and which you don't :ph34r: 

Put it this way bikebloke - if you started robbing old men as you suggested you might you'd get the sharp edge of more than my condescension. 

Speak softly but carry a big stick. 

quote  "I think we have a responsibility to our communities to let people know when their behaviour breaks the social contract" you said it not me or is it just easier to moan about fellow cyclists on the M5

you cant be batman and selective about which villians you feel like taking on and which you don't :ph34r: 

Put it this way bikebloke - if you started robbing old men as you suggested you might you'd get the sharp edge of more than my condescension. 

Speak softly but carry a big stick. 

that's your version of {quote} "behaviour that supports the common good"

maybe that sticks lodged in your eye brother maybe you should get it out and look about you a bit before you start chucking rocks next time

I prefer to lead by example.

In general I avoid conflict as much as possible ( every now and again, to my own detremint (sp) I act out of character) so you will not find me berating another person on their choice of protective riding apparel. Us humans like to assimilate, hopefully the majority will impact the minority.

Personally, I would much rather like to see every road user obey basic rules of the road, before I get all wound up over a dude sans helmut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by RocknRolla

Oh my word are you being deliberately obtuse or is it a natural gift? Trolling?

Physically intervening in a robbery to assist the victim is pro-social behaviour that supports the common good. Ignoring the robbery is anti-social behaviour. Gently reminding someone that they are legally obliged to wear a helmet is pro-social behaviour. 

that's your version of {quote} "behaviour that supports the common good"

maybe that sticks lodged in your eye brother maybe you should get it out and look about you a bit before you start chucking rocks next time

There is always an indirect cost when there is an accident (which may happen anyway) and potential serious injury. Think about that when you lay in the road with a serious head injury due to not waring a helmet. Not only is your life, and your family's life upside down, but hundreds of people are late for work, a paramedic, metro police and ambulance service is now being redirected to your accident who could be saving a life elsewhere. Lets say the worst happens and you don't make it. A motorist is being charged with man slaughter which will need to be processed by the courts, eating up even further resources. Your avoidable accident may be the reason our medical aid and life insurance premiums are being increased with double digits. So tell me again how this does not impact on my life.

Another cyclist wearing or not wearing a helmet has nothing to do with me. Or anyone else. It's a personal choice that does not affect me or any other cyclist. Or motorist.

There have been many conflicting studies on the benefits of wearing a helmet in the event of an accident which is why they are not required by law in many countries.  There is even a study that found motorists drive closer to cyclists who wear helmets than they do to those who don't.

As Dennis Lillee said when Tony Greig first wore a helmet when going in to bat: "It gives me something to aim at."

Even in the pro peloton where helmets are now compulsory there have been as many deaths since they were made compulsory as in the preceding period.

I only wear a helmet because it is a legal requirement in SA and I don't want to give my life insurer any wriggle room in the event of my death while riding a bike.

I don't feel any safer because I have a helmet on my head.

So mind your own business when you see a guy enjoying the breeze through his hair.