Big Red Barn

PrinceVlad

Hi Guys

Seeing that I am busy with my training for C2T, I am looking for more places to ride.

I stay about a 10 minute ride from Big Red Barn and I know it is packed on the weekends, but was wondering whether it is safe to ride there during the week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had any issues in the week.... there are usually a few people on the route, more so in the afternoons that the mornings.

• 2 weeks later...

Jip, all good, ride BR at least 1 afternoon in the week, usually from 15:00

Wolwespruit is also not bad. Only 15km, but do the route twice and you'll get a reasonable work-out. The climb next to the fence is not for beginners or wobbly legs :eek:

• 1 year later...

Just a heads up .... on Sunday morning a few groups of mostly families were riding when the one guy stopped and we all stopped to see what's up ...there were 2 guys that ran across the field , they had dogs with them and they climbed through the barbed wire fences which had been cut off.  My OH think possibly just hunting with the dogs for rabbits and the like ... 

The guy did mention it to management  and I sent a note too, but just be careful. 

Just a heads up .... on Sunday morning a few groups of mostly families were riding when the one guy stopped and we all stopped to see what's up ...there were 2 guys that ran across the field , they had dogs with them and they climbed through the barbed wire fences which had been cut off.  My OH think possibly just hunting with the dogs for rabbits and the like ... 

The guy did mention it to management  and I sent a note too, but just be careful. 

Thanks for the heads up. If management is informed I'm sure they will be on it. They have been very pro active in the past.

How are the trails at the moment? I'm keen to go for a ride there but the last time there was significant damage due to fires.

Thanks for the heads up. If management is informed I'm sure they will be on it. They have been very pro active in the past.

How are the trails at the moment? I'm keen to go for a ride there but the last time there was significant damage due to fires.

some parts are black from controlled burns but totally rideable and lots of fun - I don't know about the black diamond sections I don't venture near there but the blue / green routes are great ATM - no mud fest :)

Edited by Uni

• 1 year later...

Anyone know the condition of the routes at BRB after the rains this week?

Apparently

Route 3: 12km fully open

Route 2: 22km fully open

Route 1: 35km open

Track that are temporary out include: Caremons Catwalk and Groot Krokodil, Paul's Pass and The Reeds.  

Apparently

Track that are temporary out include: Caremons Catwalk and Groot Krokodil, Paul's Pass and The Reeds.  

Think there is a trail walk/run on the 14th and 15th... :(

Apparently

Thanks for that...I wish someone would show me how to get out of the Black diamond section (with the wooden ramps). Finding my way in is easy...finding the way out...I seem to go around and around like a hamster on a wheel. 

Is BRB any good? I'm not asking to be a tit but rather an honest opinion.

I mean I live in PTA and have only made an effort once to go and check out the trails over there.

This was back in 2013 or somewhere there

Is BRB any good? I'm not asking to be a tit but rather an honest opinion.

I mean I live in PTA and have only made an effort once to go and check out the trails over there.

This was back in 2013 or somewhere there

Not bad, pretty flat and plenty of criss-crossing but the black diamond sections has plenty of fun sections.

If you dont do the black sections (which isnt overly technical) it gets pretty boring IMHO

Edited by Escapee..

Cool thanks, I love cycling from home so BRB has never really featured as a nice destination to cycle to  :thumbup:

Not bad, pretty flat and plenty of criss-crossing but the black diamond sections has plenty of fun sections.

If you dont do the black sections (which isnt overly technical) it gets pretty boring IMHO

Cool thanks, I love cycling from home so BRB has never really featured as a nice destination to cycle to  :thumbup:

Same here I also like riding from home, BRB +-13km from home so its a good 60 km trip including a lap.

Nice long climb coming back towards the R21 as well

Agree 100%