Gandalf

Mtbike as it gives me more route options and reduces my speed.

28km return trip with 400m of climbing - 1 HR total effort. But I do plenty detours.

I haven't skipped a commute for the past 2.5 years unless I'm off site which doesn't happen often... that's how much I hate Joburg traffic / love riding my bike :)

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use an old 26" HT GT. Full XT components(except brakes are plain deore), Reflective tape on the cranks, Decent lights front and rear. Maxxis crossmarks on for good mileage as most of my commute is road/pavement(bricked) and the odd dirt pathway, had rolf prima wheels on but that junk cracked so now on some heavier wtb rims with DTswiss hubs. I am still running a 3x9 setup but once it is totally shot i'll upgrade to something newer as getting 3x9 spares is getting difficult.

I'm running a very similar setup - Giant XTC 2 HT with Sram 3x9 and crossmarks - bike has taken a beating but going strong. I've been tempted to get a 2x10 setup a few times...

What bikes does everyone ride as the commute bike?

GT Zaskar 9r MTB

2x10 setup

My ride is about half on tar, half off road. Bits of the Spruit and then dirt track next to the road most of the way into Rivonia.

Riding my road bike to work would be suicidal

GT Zaskar 9r MTB

2x10 setup

My ride is about half on tar, half off road. Bits of the Spruit and then dirt track next to the road most of the way into Rivonia.

Riding my road bike to work would be suicidal

I used my old road bike to commute once, Considered phoning the wife to take me home after work. Its just too dangerous as on the MTB I ride in the dirt as far left as I can or on the pavement. Besides its often fun doing tailwhips and bunny hops(that's also probably why I ended up cracking my set of rolfs so badly)

42x16t on a reasonably flat loop ..... but in CT we have the good old South Easter that howls along the coast and makes you work with that gear ratio

My commuter is going for its 11th year. It is a 2008 Silverback Reno entry level MTB with lots of upgrades. WTB Silverado saddle, blue Loaded stem and seatclamp. Easton 685mm handle bar and a bell that cost only R20.  :D  A nice 1600 lumen light on the front and a rear light with a disco sequence.   

Being entry level it has 3 x 8-speed components and v-brakes. It still works fine. The single speed commuter which will succeed the Reno one day in future, is still in progress. I have a frame, brakes and rigid fork so far. The rest I will buy when/if I have money and spot a bargain or two. No rush at the moment because the Reno is doing just fine even though we are getting close to 40 000km together.

Who has the furthest commute? 

12 one way when I overslept but can't / won't take the car. 30 one way when I'm trying to prevent people from catching me on the BikeHub Commute challenge.

Who has the furthest commute? 

Mine is not the furthest ... but it may be a contender for vertical ascent

#SandtonsNotAllDownhill (quoting Nancy Drew)

I use my Lynskey MTB SS with 34 (oval) -18.

If I was doing a long term commute I would have bought a cheap steel mtb SS.

I used to use a GT Peace MTB SS in my previous commuter life in JHB

post-43-0-61133900-1495025531_thumb.jpg

I use a Planet X London Road with 10 speed SRAM Force and Rival mix.

Going to put the winter tyres on this weekend. Use two rear lights (one white and one red) plus 2 front lights.

post-3682-0-42907600-1495026350_thumb.jpg

Gear ratio? how hilly is your commute? Thinking of building a steel SS with wider tyres. 

I commute in JHB with a Cotic Escapade with 40mm tyres and set up single speed 39x14. It's fairly hilly but I can make it up all the hills at a reasonable pace.

This is there and back - so halve the elevation gain for single direction

post-77769-0-47395500-1495091853_thumb.png

This heavy SOB!! Conti Race kings at the back, X-Kings at the front.

post-11356-0-34549700-1495096348_thumb.jpg

Archived