Hi  

So strange question, the last few months of last year I had to increase my monthly mileage to reach my 6k km goal. During this time I did the cycle challenge and got sick and was off the bike for 2 weeks. Due to this, again in December I had to increase the monthly mileage to get my goal.

I decided this year that 6k km was to little and wanted to increase to 7500 km as well as start entering in running races however doing this has now resulted in me being sick again. The question I would like to ask is there a multivitamin or a change in diet that I would need to change to to help the immune system out a bit?

I currently get enough sleep with on average 7.5 hours a night and only drink water and Rooiboos tea during the day, meaning Caffeine intake is nothing #NotATrueCyclist.

I started cycling about 2 years ago, however started properly training around mid last year when i joined a local cycling group in my area.

I posted the question on this cycling group and the below list of things were raised:

• take multivitamin on a daily basis, and\or get a monthly shot of vitamins (B12, Vitamin B injection, Berrigloben injection)
  • increase protein intake through out the day
  • rest properly especially after being sick 
  • I may have increase my efforts too quickly especially with the added running
  • eat my vegetables
  • quality over quantity with regards to yearly km ridden. May need help understanding this a bit better... In other words what is the definition quality ride?

The main reason I have written this is to get everyone's thoughts on the above and for other people in a similar situation.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exercise suppresses your immune system for up to 36 hours post exercise. So depending on your type of training you can go through an entire training block with your immune system only working half time. That's the biggest reason cyclists get sick before a big important race.

There isn't much you can do except try to avoid people at all costs, wash your hands constantly and when going through a training block up your vitamin intake.

But if you do get sick it is super important to rest it out properly. At least a week after you are better before starting any serious stuff again.

Maybe step up your weekly mileage more gradually with a rest week every 4th (build for 3 weeks, and rest for one). That rest week isn't an off week, but is lower mileage for recovery.

Each week should have a recovery ride in it as well.

I read this somewhere and quite like it: 'There is no such thing as overtraining. There is only under-recovery'

Eat well and sleep well. Stay hydrated.

A healthy and balanced diet shouldn't need supplements (but that's another whole debate)

Edited by splat

Possibly increasing too fast...

+1

Last year I almost raked up 8000km despite being off the bike for 2 months due to breaking my arm. I along with other commuters ride twice a day throughout the year in almost any weather. I hardly get sick. I don't take supplements and don't watch what I eat, and I should, new resolution :) 

However riding like this did not happen overnight for me, it was a gentle progression so take your time and rest well. before you know it you will be clocking.

I know my body now, when to just rest. Also, when I know a race is coming up that I really want to do, like CTCT then in Feb, I just chill, afraid to get sick.

FWIW - I have never gone a single year without getting sick while riding my bike, however, the moment I started including road and trail running of about 20-30km/week to my regime, the snot noses and flu disappeared.

I'm still overweight, but fit and have cruised through 2016 with not even a single indication of getting a cold or flu.

I take no multivitamins but a weekly stomach supplement for good gut health and also to counter act the curry intake damage.

Have you considered working some running into the schedule?

I find the obsession with mileage a bit strange. My goal has always been to do as little mileage as possible without it affecting my performance. #junkmiles

Apparently your immune system is comprised most severely for about 2-4 hrs after exercising. It's a good idea to avoid people for that period, if possible. Also wash your hands compulsively during hard training blocks. #ocd

I am also a fan of vitamin B shots though a GP I chatted to said a decent zinc supplement would be more effective.

So decided I'm going to keep my yearly mileage at the 6k km that its currently at. This will allow for more time for the additional running that I have added.

The current cycling schedule is cycling 5 times a week as listed below:

Monday = run

Tuesday = hard fast ride

Thursday = hard fast ride and chilled run in the afternoon

Wednesday and Friday = slow chilled ride

Saturday = long ride

Sunday = no exercise

Do you have a consistent recovery strategy?

What is it?

As mentioned above, I don't exercise on Sunday otherwise no i don't really have anything

I agree that riding too much too quickly is most propably a big contributor.

I have found that everytime I put a considerable more km in the legs all of a sudden, that the immune system takes a beating.  I actually become a tad grumpy as well.

So typically after a winter here in Europe i would start my commuting with first 2 commutes a week and a weekend ride and then three with a recovery day inbetween and then add the fourth and then fith commute.

The rest of your list is pretty standard stuff.

So decided I'm going to keep my yearly mileage at the 6k km that its currently at. This will allow for more time for the additional running that I have added.

The current cycling schedule is cycling 5 times a week as listed below:

Monday = run

Tuesday = hard fast ride

Thursday = hard fast ride and chilled run in the afternoon

Wednesday and Friday = slow chilled ride

Saturday = long ride

Sunday = no exercise

As mentioned above, I don't exercise on Sunday otherwise no i don't really have anything

It's very useful to have an EASY WEEK too

Depending on your condition and your life circumstances

Most athletes have one in every 4 weeks

I have two weeks hard and one easy week and so on

6000km / 52 = 115km/week riding

What distance do you run per week?

At 115 to 145 km riding per week you should not be getting sick.

Multivitamins are not going to sort you out - maybe you should go for a general check-up.

Exercise suppresses your immune system for up to 36 hours post exercise. So depending on your type of training you can go through an entire training block with your immune system only working half time. That's the biggest reason cyclists get sick before a big important race.

There isn't much you can do except try to avoid people at all costs, wash your hands constantly and when going through a training block up your vitamin intake.

But if you do get sick it is super important to rest it out properly. At least a week after you are better before starting any serious stuff again.

Hence I believe it to be so important to get into the shower as quickly as possible after exercise and make yourself warm. The only times I get sick lately is when I wasn't able to do so after exercise. It's also something my dad has imprinted on me over the years.