How to stop the Cycling Carnage on SA's roads?

Bonus

I for one don't line up dutifully behind the line at red traffic lights, and here's the reasons:

1) Getting ridden into from behind by a vehicle, happened to me 3x so far, fortunately lived to tell the tale (few mangled wheels though)

2) Security: getting mugged. Gotta keep moving!

But I realise that running the lighs cheeses of motorists that's why I ride a pavement warrior,: so hop on to the payment (if I am not on there already) then turn the corner on the pavement, join the incoming road for which the light is green...

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it wouldn't in the short term. But the more road users there are of any description who follow the rules and behave properly the less acceptable lawlessness will become and the fewer feaths thete will be.

Follow the rules

Hold those around you accountable to follow the rules

If the only cycling fatalities were those cyclist jumping the red lights or disregarding the rules of the road then we would not have been here having this debate. Ironically it is the guys not jumping the red lights the get killed. I have yet to read a thread on the hub of this sort. So my point is that even if all cyclists adhere 100% to the traffic rules, the killing will not stop nor would it reduce.

No it wouldn't in the short term. But the more road users there are of any description who follow the rules and behave properly the less acceptable lawlessness will become and the fewer feaths thete will be.

Follow the rules

Hold those around you accountable to follow the rules

So how is that done? Agree with your sentiment but 100 000 odd cyclists will not change the sentiment of motorists.  10 000 usefull traffic officers might ;)

As everybody has said you need to change culture, and that takes time as well as well as political will, which seems lacking. I dont really know how cultural change can occur. One legal thing that has been done in other countries is to make the presumption of liability in any crash to be on the motorist.Then you lose any no claims bonus you may have had, so it hits the motorist in the pocket if they have  crash. On saying that here in SA, with the high number of people driving uninsured and a lack of law enforcement, I dont know how much effect it would have.

As everybody has said you need to change culture, and that takes time as well as well as political will, which seems lacking. I dont really know how cultural change can occur. One legal thing that has been done in other countries is to make the presumption of liability in any crash to be on the motorist.Then you lose any no claims bonus you may have had, so it hits the motorist in the pocket if they have  crash. On saying that here in SA, with the high number of people driving uninsured and a lack of law enforcement, I dont know how much effect it would have.

Yes that would be a help. Will force a motorist to be pro-active.

Wasn't there compulsionary 3rd cover in 80's in SA?

I agree that those 10 000 non speed trapping active - pulling the cell phone texter over and disciplining him will help.

I think it's about a critical mass though - the of us, motorists and cyclists, stop at the lights, the more people will. I've taken to gently as possible telling people not to do it. In the last three weeks I've had at least 8 encounters with cyclists and motorists - me telling a cell phone texter next to me at the robot that texting while driving is the same as driving under the influence in terms of it's effects on ability to control the vehicle.

I don't really mind how people take this - but I think we have to start making it known that this behaviour is not OK.

So how is that done? Agree with your sentiment but 100 000 odd cyclists will not change the sentiment of motorists.  10 000 usefull traffic officers might ;)

If the only cycling fatalities were those cyclist jumping the red lights or disregarding the rules of the road then we would not have been here having this debate. Ironically it is the guys not jumping the red lights the get killed. I have yet to read a thread on the hub of this sort. So my point is that even if all cyclists adhere 100% to the traffic rules, the killing will not stop nor would it reduce.

This ☝????☝????☝????

The focus is on the killing

The vulnerable being harmed, most often seriously, whilst doing something that they love and enjoy

Let's stay focused on this ????????

You behind someone who is drivlng slowly and they are drifting in the lane, then when you pass them you see they preoccupied on their phones.Happened to me 3x whilst I was out and about on the highways of GP today. They all got a loud series of hoots.

Note to self. install a defecate-inducing air horn.

You behind someone who is drivlng slowly and they are drifting in the lane, then when you pass them you see they preoccupied on their phones.Happened to me 3x whilst I was out and about on the highways of GP today. They all got a loud series of hoots.

Note to self. install a defecate-inducing air horn.

I think we must make "Get off your phone asswipe!" Signs that we can show to people as you drive past them.

Anyone that knows the story of Freddy going cross country at the FastOne, in AL... he got knocked off his bike about an hour ago. Hit and run.

Personalized plates, but more importantly a wing mirror was left behind.

He is okay, on the way for a check at the hospital.

Another reminder of the conditions we have to live in every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone that knows the story of Freddy going cross country at the FastOne, in AL... he got knocked off his bike about an hour ago. Hit and run.

Personalized plates, but more importantly a wing mirror was left behind.

He is okay, on the way for a check at the hospital.

Another reminder of the conditions we have to live in every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have the plates details? Car type?

Do you have the plates details? Car type?

The cops are waiting for his statement. Hospital first then police station.

Another member has already started asking questions, but they can't locate the owner's details. Once statement has been made and charges laid, they can put a "wanted" notification out for the car.

Still waiting for the car make Nissan SUV, and colour (dark?), newish model.

Reg. no.: SUZZANE GP

I'll share it with our local security company. They thrive on catching people like this and then calling the cops.

edit2: apparently there was a digit wrong on the number plate, and they (SAPS) have tracked down the owner. Let's see what transpires.

As stated on another thread.

Make it law that learners over a certain age say 14, have to commute by foot or bicycle 3 times per week. Hopefully the nation will appreciate the reduced congestion on the roads and also respect that, who they maybe running off the road, is one of their children or a friend of their child's (the IQ of the population may be a challenge). In time these learners will no doubt be behind the wheel and show more respect to other road users. Rome was not built in a day. It's about making a cultural shift.

The Netherlands made it compulsory that if you attended a university in Holland you had to own a bicycle. Our learners want free education - at UCT take away Jamie shuttle, build a big bike shed where the buses park and instruct learners to use non motorized transport.

China has a huge problem now with the expanding working class and more of the population owning a car. They are now having a drive to put the masses back on bicycles (that's was the transport means by the masses not so long ago) as the infrastructure cannot cope.

The bicycle will only become respected by motorist once a sufficiency high enough people of the population are using them - and that's not for sport but for every day life.

The cops are waiting for his statement. Hospital first then police station.

Another member has already started asking questions, but they can't locate the owner's details. Once statement has been made and charges laid, they can put a "wanted" notification out for the car.

Still waiting for the car make Nissan SUV, and colour (dark?), newish model.

Reg. no.: SUZZANE GP

I'll share it with our local security company. They thrive on catching people like this and then calling the cops.

edit2: apparently there was a digit wrong on the number plate, and they (SAPS) have tracked down the owner. Let's see what transpires.

Where was this G?

Archived