Trevor Noah - killing it stateside

Shebeen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The show is not to bad....it's obviously pushing an agenda. ...however he did introduce me to Tomi Lahren. ..now her I like. ..????

I havent seen a better or more clever South African comedian than Trevor Noah. I saw him at Teatro before the US move and I reckon he's the only single act comedy show to fill that venue.

Like all of them he falls back on racial stereotyping routines too much, but the stuff on his own upbringing I find moving, authentic and funny.

Went to Stars From the Apollo last week and he would hold his own with them - i think he appeared on that show a while back.

He comes over as a bit smug, but then so do i when i'm succeeding.

Good luck to him.

I havent seen a better or more clever South African comedian than Trevor Noah. I saw him at Teatro before the US move and I reckon he's the only single act comedy show to fill that venue.

Like all of them he falls back on racial stereotyping routines too much, but the stuff on his own upbringing I find moving, authentic and funny.

Went to Stars From the Apollo last week and he would hold his own with them - i think he appeared on that show a while back.

He comes over as a bit smug, but then so do i when i'm succeeding.

Good luck to him.

I like Trevah a lot and find most of his stuff really funny BUT... the best SA comic?

Maybe. 

Personally, I find Barry Hilton hilarious. Just looking at him smile on stage without uttering one word cracks me up.

I don't know why... Maybe it's because I spent most of my teenage years growing up in the East Rand and most of what he does mocks that part of the world.

And then the Savanna ads... "Do you know your monkey stole my Savanna? No, but if you hum it I can play it."

Lol... my cousin.

I like Trevah a lot and find most of his stuff really funny BUT... the best SA comic?

Maybe. 

Personally, I find Barry Hilton hilarious. Just looking at him smil70e on stage without uttering one word cracks me up.

I don't know why... Maybe it's because I spent most of my teenage years growing up in the East Rand and most of what he does mocks that part of the world.

And then the Savanna ads... "Do you know your monkey stole my Savanna? No, but if you hum it I can play it."

Lol... my cousin.

Favourite comic, by definition, is always going to be subjective.  I don't get BarryH that much.  The gag you quote I 1st heard from the PG Tips chimps ad in the '70s (UK) - "ere dad, do you know this piano's on my foot" But the Savannah ads were my faves on DSTV.

I like the craft and mechanics of TN's act, Mark Banks is also very good that way.

Noone can replace John Stewart :( but I also find TDS getting a little silly and repetitive. But that may not be Trevor's fault.

Jim Jeffries, Mitch Hedberg (RIP), and Christopher Titus, especially his 'Norman Rockwell is bleeding' set are my faves. And for good innocent humour, Mike Birbiglia is great. (And I would admit Antony Jesselnik's Caligula made me laugh like a bastard, except that would mean admitting I am a psychopath.)

Favourite comic, by definition, is always going to be subjective.  I don't get BarryH that much.  The gag you quote I 1st heard from the PG Tips chimps ad in the '70s (UK) - "ere dad, do you know this piano's on my foot" But the Savannah ads were my faves on DSTV.

I like the craft and mechanics of TN's act, Mark Banks is also very good that way.

...............and now for something completely different!

How about his book?

I'm currently about half way through it, and while there's a few parts that made me laugh I thought some of it was trying too hard to be funny.

I've enjoyed some of his stand up, but I'd personally rather watch Jimmy Carr, Jim Jefferies, David Mitchell, etc.

Noone can replace John Stewart :( but I also find TDS getting a little silly and repetitive. But that may not be Trevor's fault.

Jim Jeffries, Mitch Hedberg (RIP), and Christopher Titus, especially his 'Norman Rockwell is bleeding' set are my faves. And for good innocent humour, Mike Birbiglia is great. (And I would admit Antony Jesselnik's Caligula made me laugh like a bastard, except that would mean admitting I am a psychopath.)

you watched Don't Think Twice yet?

• 2 years later...