Quarq introduce ShockWiz suspension tuning system

News bot

Don't you think that it is not the opposite? With only a 100mm of travel, it is more important to be setup correctly? You do not have the luxury of those extra mm?

was thinking the same thing, especially wrt XCO.

I agree with the reasoning, but in general longer-travel forks have wider tuning ranges. It's piss easy to blow through 100mm of travel and thus you could spend less time in the different strokes (beginning, mid and end stroke). Thus, you 'feel' the different strokes less as you move through them quickly during hard riding.

HOWEVER, taking the update RS SID as an example, it has a wide range of tuning options (bottomless tokens, compression damping (with independent LSC), rebound), so with such a fork you can benefit from ShockWiz.

Personally, I think in XCO you could get away with poorly set-up suspension (just as long as the air pressure is sufficient, whereas in gravity racing you would be definitely penalized by poor suspension set-up.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the reasoning, but in general longer-travel forks have wider tuning ranges. It's piss easy to blow through 100mm of travel and thus you could spend less time in the different strokes (beginning, mid and end stroke). Thus, you 'feel' the different strokes less as you move through them quickly during hard riding.

HOWEVER, taking the update RS SID as an example, it has a wide range of tuning options (bottomless tokens, compression damping (with independent LSC), rebound), so with such a fork you can benefit from ShockWiz.

Personally, I think in XCO you could get away with poorly set-up suspension (just as long as the air pressure is sufficient, whereas in gravity racing you would be definitely penalized by poor suspension set-up.

I definitely agree that short travel forks of old have not had adequate tuning options. Changing compression rates on my fox float means running different thickness oils. On a DH fork it would have been a quick dial setting. It is good to see that both RS and Fox both releasing short travel forks with more adjustment options. The stepcast float fork from Fox now has 22 clicks of compresssion. They went from no clicks to 22 in one update. :)

An XC bike that is not properly setup can be a big problem. Just two weeks ago I crashed out of a race and I think part of the reason for the crash was that my rear shock was way too hard with no rebound damping and the setup contributed to me chucking it down the road.

Regardless, I think the device is great and I am going to pull the trigger on one. I have always enjoyed the setup side of things on the bikes. Too often guys spend huge money on bikes with the best suspension available and they ride around with no setup whats over in their suspension. On a R100k bike a R4k tool is worth it.

as I see it, a longer travel has an associated wider tolerance on any setting within each travel zone: beginning, mid and ending travel zones.

for short travel suspension, those tolerances are tighter, and the sweet spot is thus smaller making ideal setup fidgety Air suspension by its nature can be tricky, so trying to find a rider preferred, track-matched balance between various settings on air-suspension in a short travel package could be pretty much blackmagic when going on a touchyfeely approach. If shockwiz has very tight measurement tolerances, and a solid basis for recommendation, then it could take a huge amount of guesswork out of short travel suspension travel.

I don't think any XCO rider would want a sloppy suspension setup. there was benefit to be had moving from rigid to suspended setups. To have all that effort wasted in a highspeed lapped race would be a rather silly approach, and negative the very value of suspension that you initially sort.

Ultimately, what I, and I think DlC is saying, is that there's likely benefit for all manner of suspension travel.

Edited by Capricorn

Don't you think that it is not the opposite? With only a 100mm of travel, it is more important to be setup correctly? You do not have the luxury of those extra mm?

100mm dampers tend to also be very simple and have less adjustments so its also more limited and that perfect spot should be able to get to very easily on my opinion

100mm dampers tend to also be very simple and have less adjustments so its also more limited and that perfect spot should be able to get to very easily on my opinion

well scratch that , you already discussed it.

Its recomended for around 5k so when you get it here its probably going to be around 6.5-7k

Gotta love the innovation culture at SRAM hey

Yes except for the life of their cassettes and chains ....otherwise they are pretty much the market leader in my opinion.

I still prefer shimano in most cases

Yes except for the life of their cassettes and chains ....otherwise they are pretty much the market leader in my opinion.

Just the innovation culture now, I like

I use Shimano on my dirt bike

Only because I don't have a sponsor ????

I got 8500km out if my xx1 cassette and 3500km out of a xx1 chain. How did that compare to Shimano?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I got 8500km out if my xx1 cassette and 3500km out of a xx1 chain. How did that compare to Shimano?

Sounds good????????

Of course it's about regular maintenance checks and riding conditions

wow thats awesome :thumbup:

We'll get one for Bike Hub HQ. Will maak 'n plan to make it available / loan / hire for hubbers.

kiff! I see bike shops going this way rather than individuals

We'll get one for Bike Hub HQ. Will maak 'n plan to make it available / loan / hire for hubbers. 

:thumbup:

Where do we form a queue?

DIBS!

Apparently that works for lining up a sale in the classifieds!  :ph34r: