Whats the best value for money race drink to have in your pack ?

Sven137

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oros and water. Alternatively Game. For second lap (Suikerbosrand, 94.7, Argus) 50/50 Coke and water - because that is what is what is available. Oh, and nougat.

H2O all the way

(Nothing quenching a thirst like water, and nothing like rinsing your eyes or cleaning a wound using energade or coke or any other sweet yummy race drink)

and rehydrate at the waterpoint

1 x liter water, half a cup sugar, teaspoon of salt, 2 x tablespoon of concentrated unsweetened lemon juice, works as well as any energy drink and tastes better than most of them, especially towards the end of a long ride/race.

+1 with Water.

Ā 

Did the Addo 100 Miler trail run on purely water and solid foods. And in 3 weeks from now I'll be using water at Addo again.

So many diverse opinions. Its the one you ride best on which, as we are a diverse bunch of people, varies widely. Ā And as the length, intensity and duration of the riding and disciplines vary, the drinks will vary.

Ā 

Dont try 5 hour rides without food and some good replacement drinks. one to two hours fine on water. Are you riding on or off road, are there drinks stops. What intensity - even if training HIT training will likely require some energy drinks if you are going hard.

Ā 

How old are you and how experienced. I have mates who are like camels and others who suck 3 litres in a two hour ride, so this varies considerably.

Ā 

FWIW, i noticed that i was drinking way to little in my training so i have now increased the amount of fluids and have been feeling much better. Thta is hydration - even water would have made me faster.

Ā 

The type also varies - a food bottle halfway through a longer ride can make a huge difference to how strong you finish (as opposed to electrolyte replacements)

Ā 

But nothing beats water as its free. it may not be the one that gives you the highest performance, but that wasn't what you are asking.

Ā 

There are many recipes for energy drinks out there - some quite palatable and are mostly easy to make and are a lot cheaper than the ones you buy in the stores. Google them. experiment with what works for you in your ride format and conditions.

Ā 

And don't believe the labels and all the BS spoken about some of them in the adverts.

Ā 

Ā 

Hope that helps

it depends... I just do water. from the replies here, seems adding a bit of salt would be a good idea.

Ā 

on rides <1hr, i tend to drink nothing

1 x bottle water with 1/4 tea spoon salt

Ā 

1 x bottle water with 150 ml black label

This man knows his stuff ^Ā  :P

Archived