Biltong

AlanD

I bought some C-grade rump steak that has a nice piece of fat and thick cut.  Wanna give it a try as soon as my fan on my box is sorted out!

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got one of those Mellerware dryers for Christmas. I've mainly used it for making dry wors (just hanging the thin boerewors) and it worked really well. I've done biltong once and used Porterhouse steaks to do so. It was ok'ish for a first stab. Obviously need to get myself some silverside.

I'll hang some biltong again this weekend, thanks to this thread.

I got one of those Mellerware dryers for Christmas. I've mainly used it for making dry wors (just hanging the thin boerewors) and it worked really well. I've done biltong once and used Porterhouse steaks to do so. It was ok'ish for a first stab. Obviously need to get myself some silverside.

how long do you leave the kleinwors for? I've done it before and it came out MEGA tough. 

how long do you leave the kleinwors for? I've done it before and it came out MEGA tough. 

It usually takes about 3 days. I now have a thicker thin wors hanging at the moment. Should be ready when I get home. Interested to see the difference.

Do you use normal thin wors from the butchery?

Do you use normal thin wors from the butchery?

Yes, normal butchery wors.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I thought there would be a risk of (insert disease whose name escapes me) because the notmal wors does not contain proper curing salt.

Dry wors two to three days if you like it a bit wet.Longer if you like it drier.You can make a smallish batch let it dry to your liking then keep it in an open container in the fridge. Does not dry out much further. Stays good for a week or two. Most boerewors will dry ok. Poke a few holes with a fork if its the normal thick kind. Just to help moisture escape.

Yes, normal butchery wors.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I have been wanting to try make some dry wors but wasn't sure if i needed to mix some wors up and then try to pack it in skin. So you can just buy regular wors from the butcher and then let it dry for a few days?

I was advised by a top chef to not use a biltong maker. I've made quite a few batches and all have been successful. The only equipment you really need is a fan. It is so easy to do and rewarding too. I use my food processor to slice the biltong.

Anyone who hasn't yet tried making their own biltong should give it a go. I haven't yet tried dried wors but you guys have inspired me to give it a go.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the butcher I always use last week. They had a special(well that's what they said it was). 3kilos of silverside for R240. So I bought 6 kilos. Hung the first batch on Saturday morning. Cut one piece the normal size and the rest thin stripes. By Sunday afternoon a lot of it was pretty much ready to eat. But 3 kilos is actually too much for my dryer. I had previously made extra hooks out of stainless bicycle spokes and used all my hooks and some hooks had to put 2 strips on. 2nd batch went in on Monday evening. 

Sorry for the lousy pics, The glare was hectic.

post-58906-0-52585700-1493808474_thumb.jpg

post-58906-0-14082800-1493808497_thumb.jpg

Yeah the other brands just don't taste as good as oros. For me its mostly oros or water with lemon in.

Had a bottle of coke in the cupboard so long that it was flat when I opened it.

My friend and i bought A 500ml coke in 2008 and promised to open it when we're 40 , its gotten pretty "maroen" by now

My friend and i bought A 500ml coke in 2008 and promised to open it when we're 40 , its gotten pretty "maroen" by now

How long till you open it? I bet you paid like 5 or 6 bucks for it back then.